Malwarebytes & Spybot are they similar?

johnoo

I use both :D - but then I am paranoid !

I am getting paranoid as well, since yesterday when AVG blocked a Trojan I have a feeling that my M/c is slower in getting into Internet sites.

It took a long time to get into this Forum.

I have rescanned with AVG, ran Malwarebytes and Spybot and no problems have been found.

I have also ran C Cleaner.

I have also ran a Speed check and all looks the same as before, about 3.8 Megabytes /sec.

But I wonder would the Trojan have caused this slowing problem or is the Net just having a bad day.

The question is, how can I find out?

I have a feeling that my M/c is slower in getting into Internet sites.

It took a long time to get into this Forum.

Testing these times is what I was referring to in my 4am reply :)

Have you carried out a defragmentation recently?

This can often do wonders in speeding up your computer.

No I have not tried that, but my Hard Disc is only 14% utilised so I don't think it would help, please advise if I am wrong

It can still need defragmenting :)

Have you carried out a defragmentation recently?

This can often do wonders in speeding up your computer.

No I have not tried that, but my Hard Disc is only 14% utilised so I don't think it would help, please advise if I am wrong

It can still need defragmenting :)

OK, never done it, but will give it a go.

Assume you do it via Control Panel/Performance & Maintainance on XP?

I use diskeeper 2010. Defragmentation is automatic, and both hard drives are never allowed to get more than a tiny fraction fragmented, I don't even know when it is working. I can also defrag the boot files with diskeeper, and doing this occasionally makes a noticeable difference.smile.gif

I use diskeeper 2010. Defragmentation is automatic, and both hard drives are never allowed to get more than a tiny fraction fragmented, I don't even know when it is working. I can also defrag the boot files with diskeeper, and doing this occasionally makes a noticeable difference.smile.gif

Never done a Defrag before & like to know background etc. Why do you use Diskeeper 2010 when there is a Defrag system within XP?

Is there something wrong with the one in XP? Will using the XP version upset my M/c?

The Windows defragmenters tend to be slow, long winded and not all that thorough.

Independent ones seem better. I use Puran Defrag at present having been recently introduced to it on this forum. Seems to work OK and is quite quick.

If you have never defragged before it may take several runs before the drive is optimised.

Puran is free for home use and is downloadable from http://www.puransoftware.com/Puran-Defrag-Download.html Be careful which you download - there is a paid for version as well on the same page.

Regarding defragging upsetting your machine, always, before doing anything fundamental to your system, your should prepare a full system backup

The Windows defragmenters tend to be slow, long winded and not all that thorough.

Independent ones seem better. I use Puran Defrag at present having been recently introduced to it on this forum. Seems to work OK and is quite quick.

If you have never defragged before it may take several runs before the drive is optimised.

Puran is free for home use and is downloadable from http://www.puransoftware.com/Puran-Defrag-Download.html Be careful which you download - there is a paid for version as well on the same page.

Regarding defragging upsetting your machine, always, before doing anything fundamental to your system, your should prepare a full system backup

Thanks, I weekly, do a Backup of my C Drive, is this what you mean by " a full systems backup" or am I missing something?

What I mean is a backup which enables you to re-install your system in the event of system failure. It is VERY unlikely that this will happen but, always better safe than sorry.

What I mean is a backup which enables you to re-install your system in the event of system failure. It is VERY unlikely that this will happen but, always better safe than sorry.

Let me get this correct!

I , weekly do a Backup of "My Documents" I assume you mean that I should Backup the entire C Drive, to include all Program Files, Drivers etc.

Am I correct with this assumption?

If so can a stand alone Disc Drive be recommended, not too expensive!

I , weekly do a Backup of "My Documents"

What software do you use to do this backup ?

-pops- is talking about taking an exact disk image of your C drive, so that in the event of total failure of Windows you can restore it back to the exact state as when the image was taken. This stops you having to reinstall Windows and all your programs.

I , weekly do a Backup of "My Documents"

What software do you use to do this backup ?

-pops- is talking about taking an exact disk image of your C drive, so that in the event of total failure of Windows you can restore it back to the exact state as when the image was taken. This stops you having to reinstall Windows and all your programs.

I don't use any Software, I just copy the "My Documents" file to a Memory stick.

What am I doing incorrectly?

If I take a full copy of the C Drive I assume I need an External Drive, any recommendations?

Can't see how Software comes into it, as I assume I can copy full C Drive just as I copy the "My Documents" fragment of it,please explain if I am wrong.

I don't honestly know if it would be possible to install a complete mirror image of your main hard drive from a memory stick, but I would be very surprised if you could. For one thing the formatting would only be Fat32. You need a plug in hard drive formatted to NTFS. The choice is yours, but personally I use one of 1TB capacity. Have a look on Google and see what offers are around, they may vary from week to week. Mine is a Toshiba. I also use an 80GB Western digital for storing other files and programs. My own choice of software is ACRONIS.smile.gif

I don't honestly know if it would be possible to install a complete mirror image of your main hard drive from a memory stick, but I would be very surprised if you could. For one thing the formatting would only be Fat32. You need a plug in hard drive formatted to NTFS. The choice is yours, but personally I use one of 1TB capacity. Have a look on Google and see what offers are around, they may vary from week to week. Mine is a Toshiba. I also use an 80GB Western digital for storing other files and programs. My own choice of software is ACRONIS.smile.gif

You misunderstand, I don't use any Software, I just copy the "My Documents" file to a Memory stick.

If I take a full copy of the C Drive I assume I need an External Drive, any recommendations?

Can't see how Software comes into it, as I assume I can copy full C Drive, just as I copy the "My Documents" fragment of it,please explain if I am wrong.

For information My Computer, Which is an Asus, has a Samsung HD 160JJ 160GB NTFS Disc Drive.

Have a look at http://forums.windowsforum.org/index.php?showtopic=7054

It may be old but is just as relevant now as it was when it was written.

OK, read that so i think I should be keeping a full systems Backup on a seperate Hard Disc, correct?

Next question, is it possible to do this Backup by clicking on "My Computer" --- C File--- and copying direct to the seperate Hard Disc?

If not what software do I need?

Sorry I am a pain!

Next question, is it possible to do this Backup by clicking on "My Computer" --- C File--- and copying direct to the seperate Hard Disc?

No :)

If not what software do I need?

My own choice of software is ACRONIS.smile.gif

This is a very popular application used by many of the WF regulars (including myself).
/>http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/

There are other alternatives - some freeware e.g.

EASEUS Todo Backup 1.1
/>http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/

or

Comodo BackUp 2.2
/>http://backup.comodo.com/

You misunderstand, I don't use any Software, I just copy the "My Documents" file to a Memory stick.

Can't see how Software comes into it, as I assume I can copy full C Drive, just as I copy the "My Documents" fragment of it,please explain if I am wrong.

For information My Computer, Which is an Asus, has a Samsung HD 160JJ 160GB NTFS Disc Drive.

See my post above. Just saving files to a memory stick will not enable a full reinstall of Windows. You need the whole operating system saved as a mirror image in an imaging program such as Acronis or similar.smile.gif

Just copying your C: drive to another location is messy, and it will be difficult to keep multiple backups.

Windows has its own backup software; you can usually find it via Program Files | Accessories | System Tools | Backup. It will create a backup that is compressed into one file, which can be restored completely, or selectively by file or folder.

This is a basic backup, a bit slow, but it does its job. If you want a more elegant software - at a cost - try Acronis True Image (Home).

P.S. depending on the size of your C: drive, you do not necessarily need an external hard drive; a 16GB memory stick may suffice for a backup.