Malwarebytes & Spybot are they similar?

johnoo

Just copying your C: drive to another location is messy, and it will be difficult to keep multiple backups.

Windows has its own backup software; you can usually find it via Program Files | Accessories | System Tools | Backup. It will create a backup that is compressed into one file, which can be restored completely, or selectively by file or folder.

This is a basic backup, a bit slow, but it does its job. If you want a more elegant software - at a cost - try Acronis True Image (Home).

P.S. depending on the size of your C: drive, you do not necessarily need an external hard drive; a 16GB memory stick may suffice for a backup.

I will of course take your word for this, but would question the advisability of using a fat32 stick for this purpose. Personally, I think the cost of a USB plug in drive for this purpose is well worth while.smile.gif

Just copying your C: drive to another location is messy, and it will be difficult to keep multiple backups.

Windows has its own backup software; you can usually find it via Program Files | Accessories | System Tools | Backup. It will create a backup that is compressed into one file, which can be restored completely, or selectively by file or folder.

This is a basic backup, a bit slow, but it does its job. If you want a more elegant software - at a cost - try Acronis True Image (Home).

P.S. depending on the size of your C: drive, you do not necessarily need an external hard drive; a 16GB memory stick may suffice for a backup.

I will of course take your word for this, but would question the advisability of using a fat32 stick for this purpose. Personally, I think the cost of a USB plug in drive for this purpose is well worth while.smile.gif

OK, get the picture, I would not be able to out my total C Drive onto a 16gb memory stick as the contents are too large, hence to do a full backup I will need a exterdal drive.

But,Andsome is suggesting that I am wasting my time copying my "My Documents" folder to a memory stick, is he correct?

If I had a systems crash would I be able, after reinstalling all programs, be able to insert the Memory stick and transfer back the contents of "My Documents" folder from the Memory stick to the C Drive?

When you need to use your backup for reinstall, the whole thing can be completed in half an hour or less. Imagine the time taken using your method where only My Documents has been saved.

But,Andsome is suggesting that I am wasting my time copying my "My Documents" folder to a memory stick, is he correct?

If I had a systems crash would I be able, after reinstalling all programs, be able to insert the Memory stick and transfer back the contents of "My Documents" folder from the Memory stick to the C Drive?

yes you could

No he's not correct

yes you could

No he's not correct

Thanks to you all for all of the good advise and help.

No where did I say that saving My documents to a memory stick is a waste of time. I do it myself. I have all my downloaded programs on memory sticks, all my documents,and all my photographs and much more. What I said if anyone cares to re read my post is that I would NOT save a whole operating system to a memory stick. I said that saving my document in such a way will not facilitate a full re installation of Windows.

I hope I have now clarified the situation.smile.gif

• 3 months later...

Hello all have had probs with passwords so have not seen this thread before, but am interested in what was said about runnning MBAM with another ISS. I have a Toshy L550 i5 2core - 4threads 2.3G 4GR win 7 Pro with Kaspersky Pure only running through aTP Link M/R with it's own security stuff. I am not picking up that much at all in the way of malware unless K-P is disposing of it at the front door. Now as others have said don't run two security items together have not reinstalled my MBAM (paid version) CCleaner (paid) since installing Pure. Anyone got any thoughts on reinstalling MBAM or CC?

joh

The main point is that two anti-virus programs should not be installed and operating - they can conflict and fail to function properly.

Other anti-malware programs such as Ccleaner are OK to operate with other anti-spyware and anti-malware programs but it is best not to use them (scan) at the same time.