Thought for Today - 13 June

AlanHo

Just wait till the Budget.

My prediction: VAT up by 2.5% to 20%. Between 5 and 15% off Benefits. Which ones I am still trying to figure out. The Unemployment will be one I think. Pensions and things like Winter Fuel Allowance I'm not too sure about. But they have got to get it from somewhere, and those to me are the most likely things to be hit first.

They will also have to clean up there own act and close down the Government Services that are costing the most to bring in the least. The Child Protection Agency would be a good place to start. That has always been a waste of space. They will probably hit Child Benefits and Family Tax Allowance as well.

Either way, it's going to one hell of a Budget. :unsure:

My prediction: VAT up by 2.5% to 20%. Between 5 and 15% off Benefits. Which ones I am still trying to figure out. The Unemployment will be one I think. Pensions and things like Winter Fuel Allowance I'm not too sure about. But they have got to get it from somewhere, and those to me are the most likely things to be hit first.

They will also have to clean up there own act and close down the Government Services that are costing the most to bring in the least. The Child Protection Agency would be a good place to start. That has always been a waste of space. They will probably hit Child Benefits and Family Tax Allowance as well.

I can't argue with any of your predictions - You should publish a booklet called "Old Gandalph's Almanac"

I would add to your list :

VAT on children's clothes. Too many younsters today are swanning around in designer stuff - if the parents can afford that then they can afford to pay VAT. When I were but a lad we had to wear hand-me-downs and there were ragamuffins a'plenty. It would do the younger generation good to experience a dose of deprivation.

Increase in duty on booze and fags together with imposing a minimum sale price per unit of alcohol.

Means tested free bus passes for us pensioners

Another rise in fuel duty and road tax

I can't argue with any of your predictions - You should publish a booklet called "Old Gandalph's Almanac"

I would add to your list :

VAT on children's clothes. Too many younsters today are swanning around in designer stuff - if the parents can afford that then they can afford to pay VAT. When I were but a lad we had to wear hand-me-downs and there were ragamuffins a'plenty. It would do the younger generation good to experience a dose of deprivation.

Increase in duty on booze and fags together with imposing a minimum sale price per unit of alcohol.

Means tested free bus passes for us pensioners

Another rise in fuel duty and road tax

I think you are right about the rise in fuel duty. A rise in the VAT will of course put the price of fuel up but the Government will probably put a rise on the price of fuel. Yes the booze and tobacco will be hit as well I think.

Road tax is another one I think will definitely be increased. Cloths and the likes I'm not sure about either. You are right about the kids going around in designer gear these days. A little spell of deprivation would probably kill them. :D :D

Regarding our mention of kids clothes - there is an article in today's Daily mail about young girls wearing high heels - with a photo of a 3 year old, presumably out shopping with her mother. wearing them.

It appears that Next and GapKids were first out of the starting blocks to sell them - followed by ASDA who are undercutting prices. On top of the health hazard to growing kids - it is forcing them to grow up too fast and not have a proper childhood. I don't know what is going on with our young mothers and fathers - kids are being raised in a false land of plenty with no concept of the real World. Last week-end a family in our lane held a birthday party for their son - who I guess is about 6. We saw two stretched limos bring people to and from the party.

I got some amusement though - it was a joy to watch the drivers trying to turn the limos around in our narrow lane. Ever seen a 30 point turn?....... :lol:

• 8 years later...