How to remove AV Security Suite - help please

D4\/!d

AV Security Suite is a scareware and ransomware program.

It's nasty.

I haven't got infected but a friend has - and before long will be asking me to get rid of it [i think the PC is XP - remember that? ha ha].

Has any one come across this in the past few days - it seems to be new.

I HAVE googled and read how to remove it but they all seem to contradict each other and half say they don't work. I cannot say I understand what these say.

For example:

Bleeping Computer

Mostly Client Side

Spywarevoid

Friends of WF, what experience have you had of AV Security Suite .

Or bright ideas how to fix it, please.

The best way would be a reinstall from backup - guaranteed to be successful in eliminating all nasties, provided the back itself is clean.

I suppose there isn't a backup available. You could try a System Restore but I'm somewhat doubtful about the success of that with vileware.

I would suggest the free version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
/>http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Malwarebytes-AntiMalware/1186760019/1

Install and update it, then reboot in Safe Mode and run a full scan from there.

If it won't let you install it from within "normal" Windows, Reboot your computer, keep pressing F8 key and select “Safe Mode with Networking”

Then download Malwarebytes’Anti-Malware as above.

PS If you have problem installing Malwarebytes’Anti-Malware, you can rename the installer to another .exe name.

Then double click the program and follow the install steps.

I would suggest the free version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

http://fileforum.bet...re/1186760019/1

Install and update it, then reboot in Safe Mode and run a full scan from there.

If it won't let you install it from within "normal" Windows, Reboot your computer, keep pressing F8 key and select “Safe Mode with Networking”

Then download Malwarebytes’Anti-Malware as above.

PS If you have problem installing Malwarebytes’Anti-Malware, you can rename the installer to another .exe name.

Then double click the program and follow the install steps.

As I have mentioned before, this is different for some computers. On mine, hitting F8 offers me a choice of drives to boot from. It is F5 which offers safe mode. So if F8 doesn't worlf, try F5.:) Best of luck.

Thanks chaps always sound advice here :flowers:

Isn't it funny that when you are close to the event you fail to come up with these answers.

Much of what you have said I know already - but had forgotten.

Now I await that call. I'd better keep the weekend free... B)

• 7 months later...

Restart the computer in Windows Safe Mode “with networking” by pressing the “F8” key multiple times during normal computer reboot. Choose the “With Networking” menu option when queried by the DOS displayed menu.

2 – Open Internet Explorer and then click “Tools” and “Internet Options.”

3 – Select “Connections” and then “Lan Settings.” Remove the check from the checkbox next to the “Use a Proxy Server for Your LAN” menu option, then click “Ok.”

4 – Open the Windows Task Manager by typing the “Ctrl,” “Shift,” and “Esc” keys simultaneously.

5 – Click “Processes” then right click each “AV Security Suite” related process then click “End Process.”

6 – Click Start then “Search,” then click the “All fields and folders” check box.

7 – Enter “AV Security Suite” in the search text field and click “Search.”

8 – Single click and delete all files returned on the search.

9 – Open an antivirus program and select the “Update” (or equivalent) menu option. After the application is updated, run a complete scan of the comptuer and remove all infected files.

10 – Open the registry editor by selecting “Start” and “Run.” Enter “REGEDIT” in the search text field then click “enter.” Input each of the registry keys listed at the bottom of this article and delete if found. NB. Backup your registry before conducting manual deletions in case a file that is not associated with the malware is removed in error.

11 – Restart your computer normally, and AV Security Suite will be removed.

Restart the computer in Windows Safe Mode "with networking" by pressing the "F8" key multiple times during normal computer reboot. Choose the "With Networking" menu option when queried by the DOS displayed menu.

2 – Open Internet Explorer and then click "Tools" and "Internet Options."

3 – Select "Connections" and then "Lan Settings." Remove the check from the checkbox next to the "Use a Proxy Server for Your LAN" menu option, then click "Ok."

4 – Open the Windows Task Manager by typing the "Ctrl," "Shift," and "Esc" keys simultaneously.

5 – Click "Processes" then right click each "AV Security Suite" related process then click "End Process."

6 – Click Start then "Search," then click the "All fields and folders" check box.

7 – Enter "AV Security Suite" in the search text field and click "Search."

9 – Open an antivirus program and select the "Update" (or equivalent) menu option. After the application is updated, run a complete scan of the comptuer and remove all infected files.

10 – Open the registry editor by selecting "Start" and "Run." Enter "REGEDIT" in the search text field then click "enter." Input each of the registry keys listed at the bottom of this article and delete if found. NB. Backup your registry before conducting manual deletions in case a file that is not associated with the malware is removed in error.

Did you read my post above regarding f8 and f5?

Restart the computer in Windows Safe Mode “with networking” by pressing the “F8” key multiple times during normal computer reboot. Choose the “With Networking” menu option when queried by the DOS displayed menu.

2 – Open Internet Explorer and then click “Tools” and “Internet Options.”

3 – Select “Connections” and then “Lan Settings.” Remove the check from the checkbox next to the “Use a Proxy Server for Your LAN” menu option, then click “Ok.”

4 – Open the Windows Task Manager by typing the “Ctrl,” “Shift,” and “Esc” keys simultaneously.

5 – Click “Processes” then right click each “AV Security Suite” related process then click “End Process.”

6 – Click Start then “Search,” then click the “All fields and folders” check box.

7 – Enter “AV Security Suite” in the search text field and click “Search.”

9 – Open an antivirus program and select the “Update” (or equivalent) menu option. After the application is updated, run a complete scan of the comptuer and remove all infected files.

10 – Open the registry editor by selecting “Start” and “Run.” Enter “REGEDIT” in the search text field then click “enter.” Input each of the registry keys listed at the bottom of this article and delete if found. NB. Backup your registry before conducting manual deletions in case a file that is not associated with the malware is removed in error.

There is not much point in copying and pasting a solution from somewhere else unless you actually copy the whole thing !

You have omitted the Registry keys referred to in the above article.

Schatzman ? - Oh Yeah, now I remember !

Big tall upright man, - walked with a stoop.

Was a rear gunner with the Salvation Army before joining the Luftwaffe.

Bombed andsome's Mum's coalbunker.

Got a dishonourable discharge for forgetting an important piece of code.

Could never distinguish between F5 and F8 in the cockpit.

Is it the same bloke ? - Seems a bit of a coincidence.

.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.

Poor D4\/!d. I'm betting he could well do without all of these mad distractions. :rolleyes:

John. :flowers: