System Protection (Back-Up)

6 members have voted

1. 1. Do you back-up your computer?

• Yes
    • No
    • I only use restore points
  2. 2. How often do you back-up your computer?

• Daily
    • Weekly
    • Bi-weekly
    • Monthly
    • A few times a year
    • Yearly
    • Only when fiddlin' with questionable content
  3. 3. What is your favorite means of back-up(s)

• Unstructured
    • Full + Incremental
    • Differential backup
    • Reverse delta
    • Continuous data protection
    • Full System backup

If you want to share your favorite back-up software,please feel free.

I see a lot of issues that could easily be overcome by implementing some form of back-up.Maybe this will encourage others to protect their data.From experience I know it can be quite frustrating when you feel that you have an invincible machine to find that you have to re-install your OS after things go awry.

I myself only use Windows native back-up utilities.However,I have heard (or read) horror stories about these resources.Personally,I haven't encountered the first issue with Windows back-up utilities.Yet.

Thanks for any input.... :flowers:

As well as using a weekly full system backup, I use Second Copy to provide me with a 2 hourly backup of my files. It is important that I do not lose any of my data - it has been very valuable to me (provides the lifestyle I now enjoy) and will do more so in the future.

As well as using a weekly full system backup, I use Second Copy to provide me with a 2 hourly backup of my files. It is important that I do not lose any of my data - it has been very valuable to me (provides the lifestyle I now enjoy) and will do more so in the future.

I love the idea of Second Copy.

Sounds like a very useful back-up tool.

(I hate to sound like Cheapo,but is there a free alternative?)

Use all of the following (depending on which of my various machines I'm using)

Acronis True Image 9

Acronis True Image 10 Home

EASEUS Todo Backup 1.1

Macrium Reflect FREE

Plus

Hahn Tech's Copy Cat for doing a scheduled daily backup of certain key data files

I believe I have found an alternative for Second Copy.

Microsoft Sync Toy 2.1 for 32- or 64-bit is available for Windows 7,Vista and XP at no cost:--->http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C26EFA36-98E0-4EE9-A7C5-98D0592D8C52&displaylang=en

I'm not absolutely sure that this software does exactly what Second Copy is capable of,but it's gotta be close. ;)

I believe I have found an alternative for Second Copy.

Microsoft Sync Toy 2.1 for 32- or 64-bit is available for Windows 7,Vista and XP at no cost:--->http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C26EFA36-98E0-4EE9-A7C5-98D0592D8C52&displaylang=en

I'm not absolutely sure that this software does exactly what Second Copy is capable of,but it's gotta be close. ;)

I cannot see any evidence that you can set up Sync Toy to take backups of your files on a regular schedule automatically. I too have used Second Copy for several years and consider it well worth the moderate one-off cost.

Second copy is easy to set up, flexible and keeps your backup files in sync with the origin. If you delete a folder or file - it gets deleted automatically from the back up. If you modify, move or rename a folder or file then the back up will reflect that change. In addition - you can set up an archive which keeps the last "X" versions of any file.

My Second Copy system is set to carry out the back up operation of my D:drive (a separate drive for all my data) in duplicate onto another internal hard drive and an eSATA external drive every time I shut down Windows. Hence I have two identical back up copies on separate volumes.

My OS and programs are stored on a separate C: drive which I back up weekly onto both my back up drives using Acronis.

Belt and bracers I know - but it keeps me safe.

I cannot see any evidence that you can set up Sync Toy to take backups of your files on a regular schedule automatically.

It is done through task manager from what I've gathered.Probably a little more hands-on than the automated world would prefer.

I can not say for sure what it is or is not capable of as I haven't had time to play with it yet.You can rest assured that I will though... :lol:

I understand the reasoning behind "You get what you pay for",and "Cheap is expensive",but when I say that I am broke-I mean that I am broke.If I can find a free alternative with anything computer that is viable,I'll take it.This machine wasn't cheap.I could spend thousands upon thousands (if I had it) and still wouldn't be satisfied.Nor would the software vendors for that matter.

I don't mean to sound cheap,I have to be cheap by necessity.There were better days and there will be again.

Much love to all.

"It is done through task manager from what I've gathered."

EDIT TO PREVIOUS POST:I meant to say Task Scheduler,not Task Manager.I apologize for any confusion. :)

Thank you for any and all input.I'm sure that I won't be the only one to benefit from this.