Who Dual/Multi Boots

bludgard

7 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Dual/Multi Boot Your Machine?

2. 2. If The Answer To Above Is "Yes",Do You...

• Use The Same HD For Dual/Multi Boot?
    • Dual/Multi Boot From Separate HDs?
    • Use Live Install Media As An Alternative OS?
    • Only Use A Virtual Machine As An Alternative OS?
    • What 'Chu Talkin' 'Bout,Willis?
  3. 3. Again,If The Answer Is "Yes",Do You Experience Errors From Dual/Multi Boot?

• Never
    • Seldom
    • Occasionally
    • Often
    • Always
    • Who Cares

Another time killer.

If you wish to list your operating systems and priority,please feel free.

I employ (in priority):

Windows 7 HP X64

Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meercat X86

And XPsp3 as VM guest on Win 7 host.

I haven't quite come to terms with Solaris,but am tryin'.:unsure:

Cheers

I dual boot Debian & W7.

If you want to have fun, try Slackware, that will prepare you better for Solaris, although I do not see the point in you using Solaris for everyday use.

I'm playing around with Solaris just to be able to say I did.:lol:

Nothing more than that at this point.

Thanks for the suggestion of Slackware.I'll give it a whirl.

And thanks for playing.

:hi:

One

Well I don't now but I did with 98 & XP as XP was getting good read-ups as regard to stability and was not a load of crap like ME so I had them on the same hard drive with no problems for ages until I stuck with XP and still prefer XP now in lots of ways, W7 seams to control the things you can do to much but also has some plus points though so far I can't see to many

I did have a couple of dual boot machines some time ago but found that I was using one O/S only so that the other was just filling disk space for no real purpose.

Rather than multi-boot on one machine, I now use a different O/S on different machines such that I have XP, Vista and W7 (x2) and another machine with an easily swappable hard drive so I can put almost any O/S I want on it.

I triple boot XP Pro on main computer, and have drive bays I can swap in and out for Windows 7.

The "Boot Manager" I use for this is the old PQBoot for Windows that came with "Partition Magic"

(Disk imaging/re-imaging is very fast between partitions in a multi-boot setup. - I use Acronis)

I have triple booted XP,Vista,Windows 7 in the past. That was mainly to be able to "Fast and Furiously" answer forum questions.

I tend lately though to look after my own needs as the first priority. :D

I really, really like Windows 7, but I have got so much stuff like * AUTOHOTKEY * And a lot of other things set up on XP that I am just too lazy at the moment to set it up all again on Windows 7.

The network between all three XP computers is working fine as well. So sensibly, the swap when it comes is going to involve all 3 computers.

I'm looking this year to go Quad core CPU, and triple boot both XP Pro and 32bit and 64bitversions of Windows 7.

I also Dual boot XP on both laptops.

I once had Windows 98 running on a Virtual Machine in Windows ME. :lol: (And no, - I'm not joking about this)

Quite an acheivement as ME had trouble running even Solitaire without crashing. :unsure:

I lack the patience (Laziness really :P ) To use the Unix/Linux platforms. Did dual boot them with XP once upon a time.

"Unix/Linux is user friendly. It’s just selective about who its friends are."

Hammers, bars, and wrenches me good Cap'n Bludgard. Served me and Bender Bending Rodriguez well for years. :lol: :lol:

HAMMER.jpg

I dual boot Debian & W7.

If you want to have fun, try Slackware, that will prepare you better for Solaris, although I do not see the point in you using Solaris for everyday use.

I understand the reasoning behind booting from separate HDs now.Doesn't leave much room for conflicts in file systems.

:flowers:

Hammers, bars, and wrenches me good Cap'n Bludgard. Served me and Bender Bending Rodriguez well for years. :lol: :lol:

The wife recently ran into a problem from a Java update.It left her beloved games hanging for some time.

I suggested she restore the system to a time before the update.She jumped straightway to Recovery.

This was her technique.Can't say if Java acted up on her afterwards,but she felt better.:blink:

post-17666-0-05269700-1295268544_thumb.j

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to have fun, try Slackware,...

:lol: Slackware!:lol:

Good one.;)

Whew.Boy howdy.Think you'd have to dedicate a whole mainframe for that.:unsure:

I managed to run Puppy Linux as guest on XP host /VirtualBox within W 7.How and what trash do I get rid of?I mean it is disposable....I know how to find out.:0

Have a good one.I'll forget about Solaris for a bit as well.

post-17666-0-49156200-1296621061_thumb.j

post-17666-0-64277400-1296622065_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Another time killer.

I employ (in priority):

Windows 7 HP X64

I haven't quite come to terms with Solaris,but am tryin'. :unsure:

Cheers

Ah, Windows and Ubuntu. The best mix!

Another time killer.

I employ (in priority):

Windows 7 HP X64

I haven't quite come to terms with Solaris,but am tryin'. :unsure:

Cheers

Ah, Windows and Ubuntu. The best mix!

I tend to agree. I think Windows as guest to Ubuntu runs better than Ubuntu on Windows.

Was debating whether or not to switch to Linux exclusively.... NOT! :lol:

Edit: In re to VMs; not multi-boot config.