Precautions before buying on line

andsome

I have had many good experiences buying from internet companies. Recently I ordered a camera from such a company. Alongside the picture of the camera was a delivery promise of 1-2 days, but when the e mailed acknowledgement came the delivery was quoted as 1-7 days. After 3 days I sent an e mail asking for a delivery date, and they could not give me one. I then gave them 24 hours to deliver or I would cancel the order. They sent an e mail back to say that the order had been cancelled, and that the relevant department had been contacted to approve this cancellation. My next step was to ask when my refund would be made to my credit card. The reply was that this was in hand and would take 3-5 days. I contacted them again pointing out that the 5 days had now expired. They agreed that the credit was overdue and said that the financial department had been contacted on my behalf. I have now placed the matter in the hands of the credit card company, who have assured me that they will take up the matter, and if a refund is not forthcoming they will make the refund to me themselves.

I have made a search of the internet, for complaints concerning the company and the results make terrible reading. The website to all intents and purposes appears to be a British company, but in fact they are based in Hong Kong. There are many horror stories of undelivered orders and difficulties in getting refunds on line. The credit card operator had a look at the website and was also of the opinion that the site looked British.

I have no intention of making slanderous statements as I do not want trouble, but would recommend to anyone that before buying from such a company that a search is made first.

The results of my search are as below.

http://www.freelancers.net/show_forum/20090202/205981.html

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/simply-electronics-c206165.html

http://www.canyoutrustthem.com/index.php?go=quick_search&keyword=simply+electronics

There are many more.

Didn't Simply become Misco a few years ago? or have I got it wrong

This new Simply Electronics is totally unconnected to the old Simply Computers - which are now part of the Misco company.

2nd February 2005

Simply Computers, hit by huge redundancies last week, is rebranding as "Misco Consumer". Simply customers are unaffected by the name change. with warranties honoured, as before.

A spokeswoman for Misco told El Reg: "Misco is well known in the business market and the Simply name will be gradually phased out over the next few months to be replaced by Misco Consumer." She said existing warranties will be supported and the firm will improve its website. The change is designed to improve efficiency and cut costs. Misco Consumer will continue to trade through magazines, its website and direct mail campaigns.

Simply was credited with improving sales but they proved too expensive for its parent company, Systemax. Simply, or Misco Consumer, will source machines from Systemax in the US; there will be no UK manufacturing or assembly.

In early January 50 jobs went at Misco when the firm closed its Greenock sales office

/>http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2005/02/02/simply_rebrands_as_misco/

I used this company once. Never again!

It was an eBay BIN item paid for via PayPal (so there was some extra protection if anything went wrong).

The item was bought and paid for at the time of the bad weather in December. So there was a string of excuses as to why the delivery was not forthcoming (driver stuck in snow, roads blocked by snow, blizzards on the M25, package lost in van and so on).

I did eventually get the parcel and it was OK but, the hassle involved in getting it here just wasn't worth it.

They still send marketing emails but they go straight in the trash.

I'm sure I used to buy my computer bits from a company called Simply that has since been taken over by http://www.misco.co.uk/ which I no longer use as they got to expensive and my point is that I was wondering if the new company was trying to live off the name of the old company

See the reply below by Boris.

I bought a HP laptop from Misco, via eBay, at a very good price a few weeks ago.

Received in good time, no problems at all.

I haven't looked for some time as when they took over the prices seamed to go up and the makers were obscure names.

I know that this may sound silly, but I never purchase anything online. There is the delivery problems, return issues, delays, miscomunications, potential for robbery, etc., etc., etc.

I may have to shell out a few extra dollars to buy locally, but if there are any problems, I can go right down the road and strangle someone if necessary.:lol:

@ andsome: I am glad to hear that you have gotten this issue sorted. Research is key but is not infallable. Keep on your toes, old boy. They are out to get you!:unsure:

I know that this may sound silly, but I never purchase anything online. There is the delivery problems, return issues, delays, miscomunications, potential for robbery, etc., etc., etc.

I've been shopping online for years with no problems so far (touchwood) B)

I've also saved myself a wad of money in the process !

I've been shopping online for years with no problems so far (touchwood) B)

I've also saved myself a wad of money in the process !

I am indeed impressed. You are either lucky as he** or very cautious and resourceful. Or both. I do hope your streak at online shopping continues to be promising and profitable. By nature, if I can't see or touch one who is peddlin' wares, I tend to not trust them.

Happy and safe shopping all. Both at the local bazaar as well as the global one.

I would have extreme difficulty these days if I didn't shop online - groceries, clothes, computer bits and bobs, anything.

Being in a wheelchair or, on good days, two walking sticks does limit one's mobility and it's unfair to constantly burden others for favours.

Yes. I can see where online shopping could be advantageous. In more ways than one. I am sure that one of these days I will have need of this service. Not two years ago I distrusted computers with a passion. Now I seem to be in it for the long-haul.:blink:

Evolution is definately non-negotiable.

You guys and gals have brought about more change in my life recently than I care to admit. 'Preciate it....

:flowers:

I am indeed impressed. You are either lucky as he** or very cautious and resourceful. Or both. I do hope your streak at online shopping continues to be promising and profitable. By nature, if I can't see or touch one who is peddlin' wares, I tend to not trust them.

Happy and safe shopping all. Both at the local bazaar as well as the global one.

Cheers.

I'm just cautious when it comes to PC security that's all :D

I have been shopping online since 1995, when the Internet was still in its infancy. There were no secure servers then, and none of the guarantees that make online shopping safe today.

Anyway, I never had any problems ordering stuff online from around the world. The only problem I ever had was 3 weeks ago when I ordered the Beatles Box Set, and one album was missing. (I returned it to Amazon without a problem.) Anyway, the same thing could have happened if I bought the thing in a store.

When the earthquake hit here in March, a lot of items disappeared from stores for weeks (bottled water, for instance). No problems ordering these things online. (Of course you cannot order one bottle, but a case. But this is what we should have in every home anyway, as a precaution.)