Complete Systems Backup

johnoo

I take a weekly backup of all of my “C” Drive data onto a USB stick (User documents only, not Program files etc.), also all of my pictures are backed up on CD's & a USB stick.

I also keep on the “C” drive a CSV copy of my e Mail contacts & a copy of my Favorites web sites.

Also I have the set up CD's for all Hardware, Monitor etc.

But I am concerned that if I had a Hard Disc failure that I could lose/find it hard to recreate the system as it is.

Is there any easy to use software that I could use with an external hard disc to keep a full systems copy?

Must stress that any solutions should be easy to apply!!

Answers:

Q1. Yes -very.. Unlike the backup programs of the recent past where everything had to shut down and go into some sort of DOS, you can set Acronis going and carry on using your machine as normal (it might be a little bit slower but hardly noticeable). It may look a bit daunting when you first use it but it is really very easy. Just follow the instructions but don't go too deeply into the accessory bits at the start.

Q2. I'm sure Seagate drives will be fine. I've not used that brand but I have used many others without any compatibility problems.

What I suggest for a backup scheme is to always carry out a full backup (not differential or incremental). Then use the grandfather/father/son method which goes:

1st backup on the drive.

one day or one week later (or whatever time period you choose) add second backup to the drive alongside the first.

Add third backup alongside first and second.

You then have the grandfather/father/son.

Delete the first backup and add a new one. This will then be the "son" and so on.

By doing this you have three backup periods to fall back on in case the worst happens.

I do my backups once a week (on a Friday afternoon) after using Ccleaner and defragmenting.

Ensure you make a boot disk (through Acronis) and keep it in a safe place. You will need this if your hard drive fails and Windows will not start.

Something I still do not understand about this.

If I right click on “Local Disc C” within the menu shown is “Copy”

If I select this “Copy” in conjunction with a External Disc Drive do I get a full Systems backup without using Acronis?

Or am I totally off track?

No. What you get is a copy of the accessible files on the drive - which is not the same as a functional system or even a backup. It  will not contain system settings and all the "hidden" files that allow the computer to operate.

No need to take my word for it - there's lots of information on the merits of backups and the need to have them all over the Internet.

If you don't want to pay out for independent backup software, remember there is a backup program built into Windows.

The most important thing is to have at least two versions of any file that is necessary for you to retain.

Pops, I was not being funny saying "I take your word for it" but it's just that I am not too sure about these things.

Also interesting you say that there is a Backup in Windows, I run XP & have looked in All Programs/Accessories/Systems Tools & can't find it. Do you know where it is hidden?

Perhaps a silly question but does anyone have any idea how long a full Back up will take for about 40Gb of data currently on my "C" file?

When I run the XP Backup Program I'm going to ask for "All information on this computer " to be backed up.

... does anyone have any idea how long a full Back up will take for about 40Gb of data currently on my "C" file?

All depends on the read/right speed(s) of the drives (among other factors); both the source drive and repository drive.

Get yer backups done: You will never regret it.... :)

Bludgard,

Thanks, but do you think 40Gb onto a Seagate 320 Gb drive will take hours or minutes? Just looking for a rough scope!

I would think it should be under an hour - but it depends on your existing hardware - CPU, Memory etc.

Bludgard,

Thanks, but do you think 40Gb onto a Seagate 320 Gb drive will take hours or minutes? Just looking for a rough scope!

I would say 40GBs of data should transfer within 30 minutes; as Boris has pointed out, it will depend on hardware within the machine (I feel confident the Seagate drive is more current technolocically than the actual computer).

Don't get spooked at the thought of creating back-ups, johnoo; rather feel invigorated at the ability to keep a relative worry free computing experience once you successfully create your first system/disk image: It has almost become an obsession of mine.... :vibrate:

Thanks to both Boris & Bludgard for your help & support ( I need it!).

Having read & re read the very good article linked in by Boris, I am slightly confused as to why you have to enter Advanced information after completing the Wizard, see Diagram C and the paragraphs after this.

But perhaps I am getting too advanced of myself as I have yet to receive the External drive to carry out the task.

I have also found this Tutorial video that could be interesting:-
/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZrX4Vb4ui4

Also may I ask three further questions please

1 I assume that for the first Backup I choose the option to Backup “All information on this computer” rather than “My Documents & Settings”. Then for subsequent backups use “My documents & Settings” unless I have changed the Machine configuration?

2 Nowhere have I seen anything about deleting Backups from the External drive, do I just select & carry out a normal delete?

3 Will my “E mail Address List” be Backed up. I use BT Yahoo mail & can't find the list in any of the Yahoo Program files?

Hi, johnoo.

I feel that the matter is being over-complicated (especially since the drive to be used for repository does not yet exist). Paragon has a nice free system/disk image creator that is straight-forward and easy to use. http://www.paragon-software.com/home/br-free/download.html

Please visit the website and download the User Manual along with the software.

Look to the highlighted content on the left of the webpage.

paragon.jpg

Thought I would update on progress of the “Full back Up” using the XP Backup Software.

For my initial try I wanted to do a Full Back Up ,described in the XP software as “All Information on this Computer”

Checking before starting my “C” drive has 36.9Gb of data.

I set the XP software to start using the Wizard, & hit my first problem, message that file could not be constructed for a full backup, but I was allowed to set a Backup in motion for just “My Documents & Settings”

Found that if I went into the Advanced mode the Wizard there allowed for a full backup.

Set this in motion & one hour forty one minutes later a complete Backup of 39.8Gb.

Can't see why that if I have 36.9Gb on my “C” drive I end up with a file of 39.8Gb but perhaps experts can advise.

Only thing I need to do now is find a way of Backing up my BT Yahoo Mail, any ideas?

Thought I would update on progress of the "Full back Up" using the XP Backup Software.

For my initial try I wanted to do a Full Back Up ,described in the XP software ...

I set the XP software to start using the Wizard, & hit my first problem, message that file could not be constructed for a full backup,... any ideas?

Bootable image creator/restorer is preferable. Acronis and Clonezilla are superior programs (IMO). They work.