Need help with a non working laptop.

A friend has just passed this laptop to me to see if I can find the fault.
It is an Acer 7736G and is only 2 years old.

Apparently he went to switch it on and nothing happened.
I have a similar Acer laptop and have tried my charger and battery, ( both of which work), and nothing.
When I plugged the charger in, a blue light should show on the start switch, but absolutely nothing.
Anyone got an idea where to start on this one, or is it a lost cause, ( possibly a shafted motherboard).

You could try getting it to boot from a Linux iso CD but I suspect you're right in that it's a hardware fault, could be as simple as the switch being faulty or as you suggest a fried MOBO. Problem with laptops is that it's almost always a complete swine to get at the components and finding replacements to swap out near impossible. Sad to say I've never managed to save a duff laptop and beyond opening it up and ensuring all the cables are connected don't have any real constructive alternative to suggest..

My temptation if you don't want to go the route of trying to pay a pro to fix it would be hike out the hard drive and stick it in a caddy, save the data or use it to do a backup on the replacement.

Have you tried swearing at it and issuing loud potential libellous insults doubting the validity of the marriage license of the parents of the person who made it ? Isn't going to fix the machine but does help your own mental stability in this time of stress.

Thanks for your replies, I have just stripped it down and cannot see any burn marks or blown capacitors, but it still will not work.

I contacted my friend and he said scrap it then, so I have took out all the serviceable parts and will pass them on to him to put on E-Bay.

Before you scrap the laptop, wrap it in a towel and start it up > running for about 15 minutes or until it cuts off; whichever comes first (to over-heat [reflow] the solder around the northbridge). Restart the laptop; keeping fingers crossed.

Check for any SD card(s) or any other "hidden" hardware connected and remove before boot.

Check that it is not in some kind of suspension mode by removing all power (charger and battery) and hold the power button for about 30 seconds. Replace the powers that be and boot.... :unsure:

Alan 2273 Said: I have a similar Acer laptop and have tried my charger and battery, ( both of which work)

Please try to stay awake in class and take notice of what has gone on in previous lessons Keith.

I have noticed that on numerous occasions you have been looking out of the window and taking little notice of what has been taking place in the classroom !

One more instance of this type of behaviour and you leave me little choice other than to send you home with a note for your Mum. Your end of term report does not look at the moment as though it will be particularly glowing. Sit up straight and start taking notice of what is going on around you !

Bludgard you have just given me an idea, years ago I baked a graphics card in the oven to reflow the solder and it is still working now.

As I have the laptop stripped down I will pop the motherboard in the oven for 10 minutes then reassemble it and see what happens.

Maneman he was only trying to be helpful. :P

I know Alan. I just cant resist winding him up from time-to-time, it keeps him on his toes. I also know he has a very good sense of humour and wont take offence bless him. :)

Cap'n Bludgard has gon' wild on the wacky baccy again and is next gonna try to convince us all that wrapping our heads up in a towel until our eyes bulge is gonna give us the best computer trip of our lives.

It has also been known in the past for him to suggest the "Boil In The Bag" school of thought on computer repair when he has been sniffing glue. I stand in awe at the level of expertise displayed on the forum on many occasions. :lol:

I realise that you have now pulled the laptop to pieces, but for any such future happenings, I wonder if you know of the following EU rules where at times you can find loopholes in the warranty period ? :

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1677034/Two-year-warranty-EU-law.html

John.

• 3 months later...

Laptop Keyboard not working properly. Options. Mark as New ... Any help anyone could provide would be very much appreciated. Solved! Go to Solution.Have you tried swearing at it and issuing loud potential libellous insults doubting the validity of the marriage license of the parents of the person who made it ? Isn't going to fix the machine but does help your own mental stability in this time of stress.