Drive E cant open

Lamb Chop

Running Windows 7 Premium with external drive and for some reason it wont open it have to go around in circles and then it opens sometimes.

when I try to open it from computer and click on E/: it says cannot access I/O device error.

Says the same when I try to eject it. Saying also being used. But not using it and went to task master to check thinking if any one program is using it will see and only thing working was system idle.

I suppose could just pull it out and try again but that will maybe do more harm than good ? Or will it?

Any ideas?

Assuming this is a USB drive, it seems typical of the behaviour of a drive that has already been pulled out whilst working (reading/writing) without going through the correct procedure.

I'm with Doug on this one. If the drive is a Seagate or Western Digital, there is free software that will let you write zero's to it. Then re-format the drive and you may be OK. Even if the drive is from another manufacturer the above software may still work.

I had an Hitachi drive that worked with Seagate software, so there is still a chance for you.

I remembered why I pulled it - when I set up the new computer it didn't register at all. So changed the USB port thinking maybe a dud etc. Then it found it.

I tried changing it again last night when shut it down and then booted but no luck but can still get into the drive by going to devices and click on files in the menu so may have to stick with that for now.

BTW when I was changing over to this computer, I used the Easy Transfer Wizard but it didnt pan out as when opened the files on here - only contained the files part of web sits ie icons headings photos etc. No the actual text file lost them completely. :censored:

So was glad I had backed it up by doing the cut and paste. I usually do on back ups as to date never and now still have not found a back up program that does the job 100%. Not even Acronis 12 which didnt work either and they did try to rectify it by accessing my computer but gave up and returned my money. So if you are changing over be advised to cut and paste the lot just in case. :lol:

I can get into the drive I find by going to control>devices> click in USB 3.0 which is E Drive and then files on the menu. So can stick with that for now. Safer with my record of not backing up working as also the windows back up pn old 32 bit that had been doing it regularly was also fouled up the same just icons.

Plus Windows doesn't recognize the Toshiba 750G HD as being Toshiba says no manufacturer on properties. Maybe thats the problem? It came with no software and tech at Computer store advised me to cut and paste all back ups as he said none of the programs work 100%. As if have found.

It sounds to me as if the technician at the computer store has sold you something that is not fit for purpose, saying that none of the programs work 100% is rubbish.

I would certainly take that drive back to where you purchased it and get it changed for one that works correctly.

Plus Windows doesn't recognize the Toshiba 750G HD as being Toshiba says no manufacturer on properties. Maybe thats the problem? It came with no software and tech at Computer store advised me to cut and paste all back ups as he said none of the programs work 100%. As if have found.

It works itself - it is the programs for backing up I tried prior to buying this that didn't work ever.

But all on the last Dell, even the Transfer Wizard and backup with 7 didn't work, so could be the last computer was the fault.

Have to try backing up this new computer using W7 back up and then open if possible and see if it did the job or not.

As it is not trusting back up programs and the tech at Harvey Norman changed over another HD with Western Digital program on it that I had bought to back up and also didnt do the job at all just garbage. He checked it and found garbage and then gave me the Toshiba with no software on it to use and said cut and paste which is what he always did himself. So not the Hard Drive. No has to be my old computer which I had had for 6 years and was problematic after a couple of years as can see from my requests for help. Some my ignorance of Windows. Always used MosDos prior with dedicated phone data to/from one place.

No will stick with what I have - cut and paste and also use the W7 so one out of 2 will be correct as I found.

I don't blame Dell either as it worked fine until one day I couldn't fix it and phoned on a recommendation a local tech and he came could not fix it here and took it away - phoned and phoned and in the end after 6 or so days told him to return it as is or I would put the police onto him as he promised and never delivered. When I got it back he had fixed the problem which was connection but had removed every program I had for security and put on an out of date no longer supported AVG Free so it had 2 virus's so where he went on it to get these who knows. I paid him $199 but vowed never again next time buy a new computer if I cant fix it myself with help from you guys. And this new one was only $369 so proved the point. Fan is a bit noisy but otherwise - working fine - any problems my doing from now on.

Success! Go it working correctly at long last. Persistence pats off. Last night it was saying an unknown device which was why I tried again.

Fed up so shut down and unplugged last night left it overnight.

Then plugged it in and booted.

Went to devices back there now recognized. - but when I clicked on files is said none there at all. Opened the drive nothing nada and properties showed 100% no data all blue. Panic :censored:

So tried eject - again said being used. Nothing open whatsover same old.

Unplugged it. Now know not to do that but whatever.

Still had devices open so clicked new device it started its search plugged it back in and voice found it and working correctly and all the files were still there intact along with pictures photos music etc.

:wub: Whatever seems a mystery to me but happy and hoping it stays like it is right now.

• 2 weeks later...