On line banking

Lamb Chop

Usually use Telephone banking but how safe is the internet. And what is available and works for safety.

I use Avast and they offer protection for Banking on line. $19.99au and then counteroffered $39.99 for 2 years sub saving money on next year etc.

But when I went to pay via Pay Pal new and different screen with conditions saying pay Nex this and any future payments. :ranting: Cancelled didnt like the sound of that. Not giving anyone permission to just add payments on adlib.

Avast is a bit tricky I find on things like additions to free Anti Virus program which is very good.

So any suggestions? Maybe a program that is just for banking? Etc.

:D

I find the facilities offered by my bank to be good protection against the mischief of others. There are statutory obligations on banks in the UK to compensate customers for losses not due to customer negligence - obviously if the customer is at fault then there is no automatic compensation but the banks are normally helpful in trying to recover any losses.

I have local and international accounts and find them all very satisfactory - without any "protection" from companies like Avast.

Remember it is in the bank's interest to keep your money safe, not so with software suppliers.

I have been using online banking for many years (a necessity, living almost 10,000km away from my main bank). I never needed any additional security than what the banks themselves offer; no need to pay any outside parasites.

Each bank has its own security system; they can be a bit complicated, but I feel it's absolutely safe.

I make it a rule NEVER TO TYPE anything on an a sensitive website like banks and building societies etc. I keep all pass words and security details and answers to security questions etc on duplicated memory sticks that never leave my office. I copy from one of these and past all the answers required. Much safer than typing.

Thanks Guys and Gal :D - never got an email this time just popped to see - glad to have replies.

Good idea Ansome to keep Bank stuff etc on a memory stick I will do so.

Re' Trust the bank's own security - asked they do replace stolen if their security broken etc as long as you are responsible of course.

We have split our accounts up - reason is they freeze all joint ones when one partner pops their clogs :paperbag1: - and so thought sensible to separate them just in case. Bad enough but no money or cap in hand etc.

We have split our accounts up - reason is they freeze all joint ones when one partner pops their clogs :paperbag1: - and so thought sensible to separate them just in case. Bad enough but no money or cap in hand etc.

They do that in Japan as well, but not many people think of splitting accounts. Usually the first thing when someone "pops their clogs", a family member runs to the bank to get all the money out before the account is frozen.

they freeze all joint ones when one partner pops their clogs

It's the opposite here in England. The survivor keeps the joint account as a sole account.

Although a third party mandate to sign dies with the main account holder.

In fact my wife added her name to her Mother's bank account to make a joint account so that when Mum went my wife continued to have control of the finances. Bank knew of the method.