AVG Latest Free Version /Update

johnoo

I use AVG Free version 2015.0.5645 & it is set to automatically update.

However today got a indication that there is a new version to download.

Is this true or is it some kind of Spam.

The message, that was not a e mail, looked official but just wondering should I install if I get the message again.

Have been into the AVG icon on desktop & there is no indication of a new version.

The message, that was not a email, looked official but just wondering should I install if I get the message again.

Have been into the AVG icon on desktop & there is no indication of a new version.

johnoo, how did you actually receive the message?

NEVER respond to these pop-up instructions for updates (or anything else, for that matter). They may be genuine but the chances are they are not and hold the prospect of you installing software you wish you didn't have.

Is the current AVG that you have on your machine the genuine article? Did you obtain it from the AVG website? In the Help or About headers isn't there anything where it advises about updates?

Yes it was a "Pop up" at the bottom right of the screen. Ref this I have my Pop Up Blocker set to on, so how did this occur?

Yes, the current AVG is genuine, version 2015.0.5645, Virus D. base 4273/9014 28 Jan 2015. When I click on update on the AVG icon I get message "AVG is up to date" hence I think the pop up is a scam, but how can I prove it?

My gut feeling is that if AVG says it's up to date, I would certainly not click into any pop-up.

I occasionally use PUP searcher. Can't recall the name immediately, but I'll go to my desktop PC and post back in a short while.

I occasionally use PUP searcher. Can't recall the name immediately, but I'll go to my desktop PC and post back in a short while.

Here are download links to the two which I have used (AdwCleaner and Junkware Removal Tool)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/junkware-removal-tool/

Perhaps other members would like to comment on their experiences with them...

Now run adwremove, again same thing found:-

c/program data/fighters.

Thought the last program had removed it but not so.

Now don't want to remove as I may cause other problems as I don't know what it is!

Have looked on my Control Panel Program file & it's not listed

Have now run adwarecleaner & it found two problems:-

HKCU\Software\Fighters which I have removed.

It also found:- HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Internet Settings [Proxy Override]

I did not remove this as it looked a bit important, ie using Microsoft in the line.

Advise please should I also have deleted this??

Today the same Pop Up appeared re AVG.

I ran both Junkware programs that Irene suggested, only one picked up any information, this being Junkadware.

This said that :- HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows|Current Version\Internet Settings [Proxy Override] was still there.

I am reluctant to delete this as it mentions Microsoft etc.

Advise please!

Today the same Pop Up appeared re AVG.

Can you post a screenshot of that if it comes up again? The AVG (free) I have installed on several of our machines always update silently in the background.

Also, if it happens again, can you check the Task Manager (Processes tab) what program is issuing that?

Pops,

I have read your post 6, My post 21 was in response to Pats request for a screen print

To answer the questions you pose in post 6:

Yes it is a genuine AVG download obtained from the AVG company web site

No I never update from Pop ups

Yes re update of my AVG this is automatic daily from the AVG schedule

But I'm still getting the Pop Up.

My question is why & how can I clear it?

Irene, Good point.

On my last start up the Pop Up did not appear, so the problem could be solved.

However the Screen print type face looks slightly different to AVG's.

But if the Pop Up does come up again I will turn off the AVG update notification pop up.

Anther point against Irenes idea is that I am aware that the AVG version I have is up to date, hence I don't see why they would send a update notification