Concerns Windows 10 Upgrade Installation

johnoo

I'm getting concerned already & I have not started yet!

After my holiday next week, think it's best to leave till after, I intend to upgrade from Win. 8.1 to 10.

But I'm getting confused, for instance :-

Do I have to uninstall such things as AVG/Malwarebytes before Installation? I have only a 5Mb/sec download speed, will this give problems?

Where it says (I've looked at a few dummy screens) set up as a new computer -- do I select this?

Basic question, is there anywhere a schematic of the Installation process with screen prints/or a handy "Get Started" guide.

I have nobody to turn to for help & need reassurance, in saying that millions of people have done the change over so is it that hard, & a lot of them must have slow speeds/little experiance?

Yes still on holiday, using very small Laptop.

Also will delay installation when I return as I'm to trial new BT Hub 6 & don't want to do two things at same time.

Have been advised before installing Win 10 to

Run Norton/Mcfee removal tools to ensure they are not installed, which I have done

Check that POKKI program not installed, haver done this already

Run Adware removal/Junkware removal/Malewarebytes, which I have done & will do again.

Take full system Backup, which I do & will do again

Then install Win 10

After this AVG support suggest removing AVG & reinstalling, seems strange but that is what they say.

Also Lenovo suggest checking for Lenovo updates after Installation

Still very nervous about the installation, & looking for support, especially as I get a lot of "Restart" problems when installing M/Soft updates.

Questions are:-

Will Win 10 cure the "Restart" problems?

&

What will Win 10 buy me over 8.1, when I'm aware that 8.1 support goes to year 2023?

I had Windows 8.1 Pro on my laptop before I upgraded to Windows 10. Windows 10 is running great on the Laptop since they released updates for it. If you get any problems with 10 you have always got the option of going back to 8.1. HTH.

Johnoo - if it is of any comfort to you - a neighbour 3 doors away has just updated his computer to Windows 10 from Windows 7.

He is 99 years old and will be 100 in November.

The installation went fine and he just followed the prompts.  The only help he needed from me was to get rid of McAfee and set up Malwarebytes and  Windows Defender - also to install a new printer/scanner - his 15 year old canon was not recognised by Windows 10 and he bought a new Epson.

9 hours ago, Boris said:

The update process for Windows 10 is quite different to that in Win 7/8/8.1 so you shouldn't get any "restart" problems.

Boris, my real concern on "Restart" problems is the Restarts required during the Installation process.

Do you think my M/c will cope with this?

Alan,

I just have little confidence

21 minutes ago, johnoo said:

Boris, my real concern on "Restart" problems is the Restarts required during the Installation process.

Do you think my M/c will cope with this?

There is no way of knowing unless you try it !

If the upgrade does go wrong it will just go back to the pre-upgrade status - but you need to be patient with the process when using low powered hardware !!

I must have done the Win 10 upgrade 50/60 times so far with no problems.  From modern i5/i7 desktops down to an 8 yr old 2.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo T5870 running Windows 7 Starter with 2GB RAM.

One of my friends apparently left his machine on overnight in error and in the morning found that it had upgraded from Win 7 HP to Win 10 Home without his realising.

Bite the bullet !!

6 minutes ago, Boris said:

There is no way of knowing unless you try it !

If the upgrade does go wrong it will just go back to the pre-upgrade status - but you need to be patient with the process when using low powered hardware !!

I must have done the Win 10 upgrade 50/60 times so far with no problems.  From modern i5/i7 desktops down to an 8 yr old 2.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo T5870 running Windows 7 Starter with 2GB RAM.

One of my friends apparently left his machine on overnight in error and in the morning found that it had upgraded from Win 7 HP to Win 10 Home without his realising.

Bite the bullet !!

Bullet bitten!!

I installed Windows 10 yesterday.

I write this not to gloat, but in the hope that it may help others.

It took about 4 hours to fully install.

After installation I found that I did not have a internet connection -- Panic.

However solved by clicking onto the "I/Net Access" Icon, but question, why did this occur?

I was/am quite impressed with "Edge" & set up my home page with ease, plus installed Favourites Bar & imported Favourites from IE 11.

Couple of questions in this area:-

1 Can't find anywhere on "Edge" to add "Feeds" has this been deleted?

2 Browsing History, have found this, but it only deletes all history where in the past you could select day by day, or am I wrong on this.

Had a bit of a problem locating IE 11, knew it must be there because Favourites were Imported to Edge from it. Eventually found this & added to "Task Bar" but I think I will use "Edge"

Other questions about "Edge"

1 Can't find method to copy Favourites to my "C" drive, has this function been deleted?

2 There is no File/Edit  areas, for copy/Paste & Import/Export, gone?

In general I like the approach of Win 10 App's control.

Now I'm going to investigate the Windows update procedure, found how to do it via Settings/Update & Security, but I think I will leave to automatic.

Hope this post helps some people & hope I get answers to the questions

Thanks for the help to all who have replied

Other questions about "Edge"

1 Can't find method to copy Favourites to my "C" drive, has this function been deleted?

Edge favorites are found in the location:

C:\User\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\Favorites

1 Can't find anywhere on "Edge" to add "Feeds" has this been deleted?

AFAIK the only feed in Edge is the inbuilt MSN one - I don't think you can add add any others ?

28 minutes ago, johnoo said:

Boris,

Sorry, can't find that link, nearest for me is:-

C:\Users\Default.migrated\AppData\Local\Microsoft\windows & then nothing!

Under Folder Options, have you shown "Hidden files and folders" ?

2 hours ago, Boris said:

Edge favorites are found in the location:

C:\User\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\Favorites

OK, Checked the Hidden Folders, got all the way to Favourites & it's empty!

But am I being silly trying to take a copy of my Favourites?

Irene,

Many thanks, Perhaps I was too worried, but I just needed support from forum, & a little hope.

I know it's over now but I would love to know why after installation I was cut of from the Internet. Is this normal when installing Win. 10?