So Linux Mint not bullet proof

Just installed the latest recommended Linux Mint updates and it's screwed up the display good and proper, get the odd pop up box but I can't see Menu bar, script or buttons. Any quick way of backtracking or is it just a case of reloading the OS and stuffing my Documents back up on from the backup ?

PS I know it's Mint not a hardware problem as I booted to Zorin from a USB and that worked OK.

Looks like I'll have to, as it stands the screen is pretty much blank. Now to decide go for a reload of Mint or try Zorin, looks smart and windowsesque running from memory stick and not knowing why Mint went so totally pear shaped makes me start considering alternatives.

Still no rush the new router is up and running and as I don't chuck stuff away until it's utterly dead I have alternatives like this old XP laptop.

Thought I'd back up an additional copy of my documents to its hard drive, really focuses the mind on what is or isn't necessary, with modern Terra byte size drives you tend to accumulate crap, as there's not a space issue you get lazy policing it, try transferring it to an old drive in the Megabyte range and it ain't going to fit.

Don't like the interface of Ubuntu, I've already got a Bootable USB of Mint 17 64 bit & a 32 Bit Zorin. Which seemed to work OK. Need to watch the broadband usage as I've been hitting it a bit hard this month but I think I'll download Mint 18 and a 64 Bit of Zorin, have a play before biting the bullet.

Mint 18 working nicely, as with most current  distros works straight out of the box, supplied with Browser, E-mail and Office suite all for nowt.

I originally loaded mint onto this cheapo compact PC as at the time when my last Windows PC went pear shaped I was keeping a close eye on the finances so I loaded Mint as a stopgap until I could cough up for a copy of Windows. Several years down the line it still does everything I want and the chances of getting me to pay significant wads of cash for Microsoft's rather pricey 10 Pro are vanishingly small.  As for £59.99 for a single years use of Office, don't make me laugh.