Pop Idol

Guest Grim Reaper

Guest Grim Reaper

I have never been a fan of the show or those that came before it.

The programme is on the telly now and the "children" that are on it are unbelievable. They cry at every comment, good or bad, they have terrible voices and in the real world wouldn't last two minutes....

my question for debate is this:

why do the TV companies persist in feeding us this tripe and why do people keep watching, what is the big draw???

Guest nellie2

It is reality TV isn't it. Real people living real lives.... making an idiot of themselves for us all to see. It is human nature I think to be voyueristic so people will keep watching because they are getting a personal insight into someone elses life.

Why do the participants do it to themselves..... I have known people convinced they have a good voice and desperate for the lead role, then getting so upset when the musical director has to tell them.......... no. We all wanna be famous!!!

do you need to really ask why,tv viewing figures are great thats why,participants want to be rich and famous, people keep watching to hear cowell slag off people,any more questions :)

All the reality progs are trash!!

I just can't stand the way the people play to the cameras.

I was reading in the paper this morning that they're having sex on camera in one of the new offerings!

It's about time the tv companies stopped taking the easy option and gave us something decent to watch.

in the light of these responses, what actually makes good television then?

The point is that we all have different tastes. The problem is that some tastes are pretty basic. Another problem is not to give the impression that I consider that only my tastes bear scrutiny, this is not the intention of this posting. However, when you look at it some peoples tastes are really pretty tasteless. The voyeuristic programmes seem to bring out the worst in people. What people can see in watching other folk in endless soap opera's slagging each other off is also beyond understanding. It is also a sad fact that all TV Chanel's are now indulging in silly idiotic irritating camera tricks which spoil good programmes, such as people moving at ten times the normal speed, rapid zooming in and out with camera's, etc. Many programmes are ruined by grossly over loud and totally inappropriate background noise and music. The number of make over programmes seems to be endless, and so on and so on. What makes good television? How about some of the wildlife programmes, also a recent series by Robert Winston about the brain, (although this was spoilt to a certain extent by the soundtrack). How about many others of the documentaries? How about decent well produced music programmes of all types whatever your taste in music, as long as we get a balance and not all pop? Whatever happened to the well produced light entertainment programmes, with a comedian, a singer or two, and possibly a magician, etc etc? Sport is fine if we did not go to the venue an hour early to see a bunch of know alls pontificating before the match, during the interval, and for an hour afterwards, five minutes would be plenty. It would also help, if the commercial company's did not turn the volume up to unbearable levels during the adverts. How is this lot for starters?

I agree totally about the awful background noises - eg. all the people laughing and talking in the empty pub!!

Satiated with wildlife progs - what more can they say?!!

Nowhere near enough sport on the analogue progs!!

How about some decent films - not the box office flops and the oldies!!!

We have got digital but most of those progs are repeats or rubbish.

I've gone right off tv altogether!! :( :angry:

We all wanna be famous!!!

:o Nel, I can assure you that I don't want to be famous - and luckily for me, I'm not.

In my humble opinion, and speaking generally, TV is total rubbish. Why? Because a significant number of people in this nation of ours are semi-educated. They will watch whatever is put in front of them as long as it doesn't involve thinking about what they are seeing and that getting "something for doing nothing" is involved. Programme makers know this and luckily for them this type of programme eg Pop Star, Big Brother et al, is cheap to produce. The paradox is that some of our programme makers produce excellent programmes - when they can get financial backing - which makes our TV better than that in any other nation in the World. I can only assume that a greater number of people in other nations are semi-educated and want "something for nothing" more than our people do. :wacko:

We all wanna be famous!!!

:o Nel, I can assure you that I don't want to be famous - and luckily for me, I'm not.

In my humble opinion, and speaking generally, TV is total rubbish. Why? Because a significant number of people in this nation of ours are semi-educated. They will watch whatever is put in front of them as long as it doesn't involve thinking about what they are seeing and that getting "something for doing nothing" is involved. Programme makers know this and luckily for them this type of programme eg Pop Star, Big Brother et al, is cheap to produce. The paradox is that some of our programme makers produce excellent programmes - when they can get financial backing - which makes our TV better than that in any other nation in the World. I can only assume that a greater number of people in other nations are semi-educated and want "something for nothing" more than our people do. :wacko:

Exactly the point I was trying to make.

Andsome. If a cat lover came in here and said that people who don't like cats are semi-educated you wouldn't agree. It's all about personal taste. As for TV for the ignorant masses; Most comedy programmes require little or no thought in order to enjoy them. Are all Fools and Horses or Goons fans 'semi-educated'?

Reality TV shows appeal to a braod range of the viewing public, as does the art of Dali & Lowry (sp). Although neither of their works appeal to me, I wouldn't consider insulting the intelligence of those that do appreciate them.

Each to their own ;)

ps. I hate reality TV & cats too :P

Andsome. If a cat lover came in here and said that people who don't like cats are semi-educated you wouldn't agree. It's all about personal taste. As for TV for the ignorant masses; Most comedy programmes require little or no thought in order to enjoy them. Are all Fools and Horses or Goons fans 'semi-educated'?

Reality TV shows appeal to a braod range of the viewing public, as does the art of Dali & Lowry (sp). Although neither of their works appeal to me, I wouldn't consider insulting the intelligence of those that do appreciate them.

Each to their own  ;)

ps. I hate reality TV & cats too  :P

A programme does not have to be thought provoking to be good TV. Many of the older comedies such as Fools and Horses are still classics now. The more modern so called comedies more often than not are similar to soap operas, with people slanging and shouting at each other etc. It is this kind of programme that offends people with a little more taste, so much these days seems to be designed for those with only a modicum of intelligence. Music does not have to be classical to be good, although that, and Jazz are my own personal favourites. Popular music can be good, or it can be mindless repetitive rubbish, performed by people who can make a wailing cat sound good. A few years ago we unfortunately went through the punk craze, now surely that was just totally objectionable garbage?