They're at it again ?

Boris

Microsoft - Two BIG Windows 10 Cumulative updates released within four days !!

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems

December 13, 2016—KB3206632 (OS Build 14393.576)  947.5 MB

December 9, 2016 —KB3201845 (OS Build 14393.479)  937.0 MB

Do they not know that some people in the world aren't on fibre, just 2MB broadband.  
I've had 4 people ring me up tonight asking if I know why their machines are crawling when online.  
All have their broadband delivered via overhead wires - 3 only have a 10GB monthly limit too !

This new update approach is not all I thought it would be :ermm:

• Upvote 1

W 8 updates in November were a bit better but still pretty bad,  one at 172Mb and the other at 79Mb.

This was the main reason I didn't upgrade, I like to be in control of the updates, like you the prospect of 2 Gb of updates devouring my broadband allowance whether I liked it or not didn't compute. To cap it all that W10 update is bigger than most Linux distros with browser Office suite and kitchen sink included. Funny it's not.

In 4.5 months since the Anniversary Edition, there have been 10 Win 10 64bit cumulative updates.  

At the rate they are increasing in size, the July 2017 ones may each be 3-4 GB !!!

Capture.JPG

The bigger they get, the longer to download, then install - at least the old basis (with its perceived drawbacks) worked with reasonable volumes of data/updating each month.

I'm glad I stayed with W7 and resisted all of M$ efforts to upgrade.

While I was writing that, I received a notification that "New Updates Available". Fortunately not nearly as big as the ones you describe, above.

I remember when Windows was available on a few floppy disks (remember them?)

2 hours ago, -pops- said:

I remember when Windows was available on a few floppy disks (remember them?)

I've still got sealed floppy sets of Windows 3.1, Office, and Borland Quattro Pro - hopefully appreciating in value :rolleyes:

Do you have floppy disk drive(s) to be able to read them?

USB drives are available but for how long? I remember a few years ago that NASA put out an appeal for 5 1/4 inch floppy drives to be able to read the disks from earlier space missions.

15 hours ago, Boris said:

Microsoft - Two BIG Windows 10 Cumulative updates released within four days !!

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems

Do they not know that some people in the world aren't on fibre, just 2MB broadband.  
I've had 4 people ring me up tonight asking if I know why their machines are crawling when online.  
All have their broadband delivered via overhead wires - 3 only have a 10GB monthly limit too !

This new update approach is not all I thought it would be :ermm:

Started my machine this morning , thought it a bit slow.

Read the above posts & now I know why! (Thank you Boris)

KB3206632 is still installing & it has been since at least 08:00 this morning. Current status shows still only 95% complete.

I'm on a unrestricted tariff & get a download speed of 30/31Mbps, but I pity those on restricted/slow tariffs.

Worst of all M.Soft have still not corrected the major problems in "Edge" which make it lose favorites.

I'm sticking to Firefox.

UPDATE:- Now think it may be stuck at 95% installed, lot of posts on M.Soft Forum citing this problem.

QUESTION:- D I just leave it to sort itself out?

2 hours ago, johnoo said:

Started my machine this morning , thought it a bit slow.

Read the above posts & now I know why! (Thank you Boris)

KB3206632 is still installing & it has been since at least 08:00 this morning. Current status shows still only 95% complete.

I'm on a unrestricted tariff & get a download speed of 30/31Mbps, but I pity those on restricted/slow tariffs.

Worst of all M.Soft have still not corrected the major problems in "Edge" which make it lose favorites.

I'm sticking to Firefox.

UPDATE:- Now think it may be stuck at 95% installed, lot of posts on M.Soft Forum citing this problem.

QUESTION:- D I just leave it to sort itself out?

Additional Information

If KB3206632 gets stuck at 95%

Try this, it worked for me:-

Go to Settings/Update/Advanced Options "Check" "Defer Feature Updates"

Allow time for the update to install.

After installation "Uncheck" "Defer Feature Options"

11 hours ago, -pops- said:

Do you have floppy disk drive(s) to be able to read them?

Indeed I do - both normal floppy drives plus a USB floppy :smile:

Their value I would expect (if any) is in still being sealed ?