1 tsp thyme leaves

2 tbsp concentrated tomato puree

2 anchovies, drained

100g white spelt flour, seasoned with a generous grinding of salt

Sea salt and black pepper

Flat Leaf Parsley, to serve.

Method

Pre-heat the oven to 150 degrees Celsius

Trim excess fat of the ox cheeks and render in a hot frying pan.

• Cut each cheek into 6 pieces.  Dust each piece in the seasoned flour, lightly coating it.
  • Render the chopped off fat in a large stock pot over a medium/high heat.  
  • Brown the ox cheeks in the pan with the rendered fat, add a little oil if needed.  Once the meat is nicely browned, remove from the pan and set aside.
  • Slice the onions, carrots and celery and cook over a medium/ low heat, until soft.
  • Once the veg is soft, increase the heat and add the meat back to the pan, with the tomato puree.  Mix to coat the ox cheeks and veg in the puree. cook until slightly darkens and coats the meat in a sticky tomato glaze.
  • Deglaze the pot with the brandy, swirl in the pan, then add the wine and stock, thyme and anchovies.
  • Bring the wine and stock to the boil.  Cover the pot with a lid and put it in the oven to cook for 2½ hours.
  • After 2½ hours check the meat.  Turn off the oven and leave it to sit for half an hour in the hot oven. (Leaving the meat to rest makes the meat fibres relax for an even softer texture.
  • Re-heat before eating if needed.

rThat does look appealing. I enjoy beef in its many forms.

Which reminds me - I don't know whether the restaurant chain is country-wide but we went to a Miller and Carter with 2 friends for lunch a couple of days ago. I had a medium rare sirloin steak which the Dorchester would have been proud of. It was simply superb and cooked to perfection.

I don't always use 3 cheeks, I simply pro-rata the volume accordingly to how much cheek I buy. 

Should it be three cheeks, then I freeze appropriate portions.  To be honest, I only buy it in volume when it's on special offer or reduced.  

It is absolutely delicious and tender.  The sauce is scrumptious.