What are you having for dinner today?

Irene

Lidl Hunters chicken, roast tatties, kalettes and carrots.

We had thought of eating out, but it's half term and most of our regulars were packed with families and a plethora of screaming kids. We ended up trying the Perdiswell harvester took the girl ages to come back to take our orders by which time we were getting a bit teed off. Cod and chips we say. Oh we haven't got any fish she responds, would have perhaps been an idea to share this gem of data right at the start of proceedings. We paid for the drinks and left, hence the above. 

Having failed on Wednesdays eat out foray we had another go. Same problem half term families filling the joints to capacity. Rather than give in we went to that most exotic emporium of fine dining, Sainsburys Kidderminster restaurant, where we had their beer battered cod and chips. Nothing spectacular but cheap and quite edible. Only real draw back there is they have a tiny kitchen and if they're even slightly busy things run Slooooow.

Tesco "Italian Inspired" Meatballs today. Normally, I'm not one for buying meat products that have been "messed around with"* but these were half price and, if they're any good, might "inspire" me to make something akin to them.

*Except sausages and cured pork products.

Update:

Meatballs quite disappointing. There was nothing about them to characterise them as Italian and they were heavy balls of very finely ground meat with little flavour (and not enough salt).

4 hours ago, andsome said:

Black pudding and fried onions and garlic, with roast tatties, sprouts and carrots, and lashings of gravy.

How weird. Gravy with fried black pudding - must be a Burntwood thing.  We wouldn't dream of eating that combination in Solihull.....:211027431:

Gravy with chips is decadent - I like chips, but only deep fried crispy ones.

McCains Home Chips deep fried in sunflower oil at 185oC are my favourite. To soak them in gravy and get them soggy is sacrilege.

Now, home made beef and onion pasties with fluffy maris piper boiled spuds, veg and lots of beef gravy is quite another matter. It's one of my favourites.

Hoping to get some mussels then we'll have them in tomato sauce with pasta.

Otherwise, mixed fish mornay with Parmentier potatoes and sugar snap peas.

Edit: Managed to get mussels so the fish mornay will be tomorrow. Making it today, though, to keep the fish fresh.

14 hours ago, Irene said:

Hubby has afters of some Bread & Butter pudding which I made a day or so ago.  

I used to drool over B&B pudding - one of my most favourite puddings when I was young. We used to call it STUNGE (rhymes with gunge).