Meat Loaf

-pops-

This is an easy, simple but very tasty version of a meatloaf.

1 packet (130g) of Tesco Finest Sage & Onion Stuffing

1 pack (500g) Pork Mince

300ml Cider

Method

Place stuffing mix in a large bowl. Add the cider and allow to soak several hours or overnight. Add the pork and mix thoroughly. Place in a lined loaf tin and cook in a medium hot oven for about an hour (until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean).

Allow to rest and cool for about 15 minutes before turning out.

This is nice both hot and cold.

1 hour ago, -pops- said:

I should point out that you can use the ordinary Paxo S&O stuffing for this (which is what I used to use) but the Tesco Finest gives a better, richer flavour.

130764977.zy1KmQ4T.jpg     Tesco, here I come!   :laugh:

8 hours ago, -pops- said:

I should point out that you can use the ordinary Paxo S&O stuffing for this (which is what I used to use) but the Tesco Finest gives a better, richer flavour.

Recently got home from shopping - called in at Tesco on the way home and purchased some Tesco Finest S&O Stuffing (they only had Sage & Red Onion, which I thought looked good to me).  Is there an alternative plain onion version? 

-pops-, what would you serve it with?  Oh yes, and would you use the cider at room temperature or fridge chilled?

The red onion stuffing is the one I use. Regarding the temperature of the cider, I've never given it much thought. As it's soaking for such a long time, I don't think it matters very much.

I served it the other night with Actifry roast new potatoes, mangetout and onion gravy.

We're having the other half of the meatloaf (it makes a lot!!) tonight with chips and baked beans.

2 minutes ago, Irene said:

Do you know if it would be safe to freeze?

We often freeze it. The amount it makes (about 1Kg) is far too much for us two so, into the freezer it goes.

Something I should have mentioned before is that it fits quite neatly into a 2lb loaf tin. I strongly recommend lining the tin with greaseproof paper.

5 minutes ago, catgate said:

And there was I thinking that "Meatloaf" was one of those dreadful '60s American groups spreading noise into all corners of the world (yes all three of them).

I remember them well, what a load of rubbish.:5a1d9b6766171_rednose1:

"70's actually, I find dear old Marvin listenable but never been persuaded to part with cash for any of his product. Not quite crass enough for my taste."

My leaning is towards New Orleans of old (Pre Acker Bilk).

Yes I know he was not .

If you're talking jazz I favour big band stuff, Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Benny Goodman etc of the more "modern" stuff I like Brubeck and Davies but can't get my head round Parker and Monk. 

Which may not be the sort of comment you expect from an unapologetic metal fan but it's none the less true. :unknw:

6 hours ago, -pops- said:

We often freeze it. The amount it makes (about 1Kg) is far too much for us two so, into the freezer it goes.

Something I should have mentioned before is that it fits quite neatly into a 2lb loaf tin. I strongly recommend lining the tin with greaseproof paper.

6 hours ago, Irene said:

Thanks for the info, -pops-.  Just need to pick up some pork mince and cider, then we're off!   3079008672.gif

OK, just got home from M&S - bought the mince and cider there.  So, in goes the stuffing to the cider until tomorrow.  

7ec112db737578b86469099b763f2cac--gify-smiley-faces.jpg 

Going to try a variation on a theme, Tescos had finest beef mince on offer so I'm going to use that with ale instead of cider. Not decided what stuffing would be best but we already have "Apricot Orange & Cranberry" and "Pink lady apple honey and herb" so rather than agonise ad infinitum I may well just use whatever comes to hand.

1 hour ago, Belatucadrus said:

If you're talking jazz I favour big band stuff, Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Benny Goodman etc of the more "modern" stuff I like Brubeck and Davies but can't get my head round Parker and Monk. 

Which may not be the sort of comment you expect from an unapologetic metal fan but it's none the less true. :unknw:

Our daughter introduced us to the Brubeck family. A really nice crowd. Dave himself was a very quiet man. His one son Danny is a brilliant drummer. We met all the family on two occasions. I too love big band and New Orleans jazz.

• 4 months later...

I've altered the recommended method of mixing this - all versions.

Using the same amount (as in the original version) of each ingredient: Mix the liquid (water, beer, cider) with the minced meat to form a quite sloppy mixture. Add the dry stuffing mix and blend well. Leave for an hour or so for the liquid to be absorbed by the breadcrumbs in the stuffing and continue as before.

This way is much easier than the previous method.