Restore Point

AnnePrior

Well as Windows Defender has included Anti Virus since Windows 8, your friend is using anti virus and general opinion is that it's now effective protection ( remember to run a full scan every now and again ) but that the wise person will add an anti malware suite like Malwarebytes to complete the protection. As andsome says restore point is a useful tool but useless against most Malware and Ransomware.

So in my opinion your friend isn't out of their mind but should probably try harder to ensure a secure system. 

• Like 1

The best value I have found recently for imaging software is Acronis 2016 True Image - available from here for £15.00

https://store.computeractive.co.uk/p33882-acronis_true_image

I bought a copy for my grand-daughter's computer and I can conform it is the genuine software. It took two days for the Product key to arrive by Email though.

This 2016 version has a new interface which makes it easier to use. It is also a lot faster than my previous Acronis 2014.

Restore point is not intended as an anti-virus. It is to correct any damage done to your Windows system when software becomes corrupted or you wish to remove programs that you do not require after a trial installation.

Viruses and other malware are not always removed by system restore as they embed themselves very deep into the Windows architecture away from the normally accessible user interface. You need a "deep cleaner" anti-virus, anti-malware program to achieve that.

There are plenty of anti-virus and anti-malware programs available, many of them free. It is folly not to use them.