My Funeral Music

AlanHo

I am not religious – some would say an atheist – but either way there are things in life that I find moving and inspiring. One being certain music.

Some of Elgar’s music makes me think of our British countryside, rolling hills, woods, hazy summer skies, dark rainy days. towering clouds moving over the landscape, gentle summer rain, the laughter of children from a village school in the distance, summer sweet meadows, mountains and lakes, gentle streams, our rivers, highlands & lowlands. The heady smell of an English country garden, The sound of the dawn chorus, the swifts of summer. These are just a few of the things that makes me proud to be British.

My favourite being music, especially Elgar’s Nimrod, from his Enigma Variations

But which version to be played at my humanist funeral – that is the question.

Both, to my ears, are sublime, and at 81 years old I don’t have much time left to decide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGtDkN3T53w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lQLyaiMieU&list=RD6lQLyaiMieU&index=1

I was 85 a fortnight ago and I think I would like to go with the least possible fuss and a thorough  examination of the contents of the box, just before it is dropped in the hole, to verify  the deadness of its contents.

I, like Alan, am an atheist but I can, and do, appreciate the beauty and power that music can have on the emotions.

For my passing from this world into nothingness I am torn between:

or:

Perhaps this is a more definitive conclusion as I lie in my cardboard coffin:

If you're not familiar with any of these, give them a go.

Some years ago a song crept into the hit parade performed by barking dogs. My brother died at the age of 48 from asbestosis and I had to fly from Bahrain to his funeral.

His wife had the barking dogs music played twice in the crematorium  - because my brother loved dogs.

It was as much as I could do to keep a straight face

1 hour ago, catgate said:

Do they allow "Trad Jazz" in crem,s?

My understanding is that they allow pretty much anything. I do suspect however that any requests to have the SS marching band playing the Horst Wessel song would be met with a resounding NO! Unless of course the crem staff were too young or dim to catch the connotations of that or any other deeply inappropriate track.

I also suspect that requests for Wagners ring cycle to be played in full would not be greeted with great enthusiasm. 

43 minutes ago, catgate said:

I did not know that that sort of thing was allowed in cemeterys.

Can you think of any place more appropriate ?

Actually on second thoughts I'm warming to the idea, carried onto a pyre of wood by half a dozen strapping blonde Nordic birds in armour (preferably post mortem, I wouldn't want to rush things ). Then amidst loud and preposterously overacted wailing and gnashing of teeth, ceremonially torched with Ride of the Valkyries playing at full blast.

The most popular music at Birmingham crematoria, according to our local newspaper about a year ago, is Con Te Partiro sung by Andrea Bocelli and Sarah Brightman. (Time to Say Goodbye)

I had it played at my late wife's funeral in 2004 as the curtains closed around the coffin.  It reduced the congregation to a blubbering heap. 

I don't know whether it is still true - but at that time they would only play music from commercial CD's - and not from copies.

Personally I think that the suggested Wagner pieces except for the Valkeries are to morbid and rather dreary for a funeral, when people who are close will be upset enough. Even though I love them for me when I am on my own. Er indoors hates them. Pops has mentioned the piece that I have already left instructions to play at the beginning as people arrive. That is the Mahler fifth Symphony, fourth movement. I have suggested Glen Millers version of When the saints go marching in at the end as people leave the crematorium. My niece had two Glen Miller tunes played at her fathers funeral. I don’t subscribe to any religion. To me it is along the same lines as royalty, a means of keeping the masses under control, and toeing the line.

I was not referring to the link – it worked fine. I claimed that the link was for Scot funerals only as these extracts from the site confirm. 

A lair can usually take up to three full interments and three casket interments,

Embalming isn’t always necessary in Scotland

There is room for 180 seats in the Kirkcaldy crematorium.

Our Kirkcaldy funeral home has a lift,

the clothes must be lightweight (no kilts or heavy jackets, no shoes or heavy buckles/belts).