Take heed

Belatucadrus

You shouldn't be nasty to cyclists, many of them are fragile personalities and we need to be sympathetic. I once made a suggestion on another forum that some cyclists were holier than thou and perhaps more than a touch incompetent. People got very irate, one chap even got booted off the forum he got so aggressive about it.

I have been a cyclist myself for many many years.

I started as a little boy cyclist, and worked my way up to fully grown BMW 900cc tourers. Management and I have covered quite a bit of Europe (and not a little of the U.K.) on 'Bikes.

I started being a "motorcyclist" as a child. Father had bought a 500 BSA bike, with an "adult-child" sidecar attached, and we used to go holidaying to a bungalow on the cliffs owned by mother's brother. We were there the day in 1939 when war was announced and the bungalow (and the other dozen in the same field) was commandeered  by Officialdom for use by the forces.

"Shut up catgate...you are bumbling out rubbish again."

I have been a cyclist since I got my first Metal Trike off Dad. It had no pedal's, you had to push it around the floor with your feet. I have to say at this point, contrary to what Forum Member's may have heard, No my arms weren't as long as an Orang Utan's, I had to use my feet. I slowly worked my way up to a Claude Butler when I was Fourteen years old, the pride of my life. Wonderful lightweight racer.  During these year's there wasn't much traffic on the road's, but I can say there where still plenty of Air Force bases around within comfortable peddling distance for us to go and watch the Planes take off. 

Unlike catgate, this was after the War Year's. 

"Unlike catgate, this was after the War Year's. " ...............

After the war it was not too bad, because , (according to what I was told, ) the entire place  had been confiscated by MOD for use as a "domitory/livingquarters"  for the airmen operating from a fairly nearby airfield.  From what we saw after the war, not all the airmen were trying to destroy the bungalows with the same  ferocity they were using on the enemy..

The cliff top has committed suicide very slowly but determinedly until now the entire  field, the farm house and its  buildings,  along with all the bungalows, accompanied by road and much "field" from across the road have given themselves back to the sea.(silly buggers)

Some more ill guided folks  filled the fields that were left to the inside side the road with caravans........ and guise what is still going on..

Someone I was talking to about all this said , "Yer know its just like trying to poke smoke up your arse with a needle"......

Ah, that has just reminded me where you may be talking about. The place I have in mind is on the East Coast of Yorkshire. It appears that the lack of Council "Want" is allowing the sea to erode the Cliff face and let the sea reclaim the land with Metres of it disappearing each year. 

I have often wondered why the Local Officials haven't done something about that. I realise it may be a big job, but considering what else they waste money on would be worth it in the long run. Otherwise the East Riding is going to be gone forever. 

2 minutes ago, Gandalph said:

why the Local Officials haven't done something about that.

Current official stance is that Coastal erosion is "A natural process " and you shouldn't interfere. Not a whole heap of use to rate payers whose homes just fell into the sea, but ho hum there's officialdom for you. A right on green sounding excuse to do bugger all.