Running without a firewall...

Chris

Well lets see what happens shall we?

I'm not allowing ZoneAlarm to run and i have XP's ICF turned of.

Day 1: After a little hesitation ZA is turned of, I keep looking at the two blinking icons wondering what activity is going on, when they blink at me.

I noticed a slight decrease in boot time and the internet seems to be faster.

Day 2: I left my computer alone and nothing happened.

Day 3: Nothing major to report, well nothing at all to report.

Day 4: As day 3.

yeah like redhat says get some proof of what is and is not happening,powerless when I did a fresh install of xp pro I thought I would get sp1 before I put my a/v or firewall on,big mistake I must have got a worm straight away(thought that sudden restart was strange)on connecting to the internet,anyway did not get confirmation till I installed norton which found the worm and took me straight to symantecs website to get the removal tool.

Do you know you have no nasties on board trying to phone home ??

There's nothing of interest on my comp, but I pay for my connection not some spyware company which is why I like to know which programs are connecting to the net. Without a firewall you are vulnerable to all the new holes / exploits discovered in windows, think blaster before the A/V companies picked up on it.

This looks like a good time to post these; the addies of two programmes designed to use a redundant machine as a firewall. The idea appeals to me but I've got no time to set it up until Christmas. I'll give it a go though, as I've got an old box.

http://www.ipcop.org

http://www.smoothwall.org

The intention was to create a firewall operating system distribution based on Linux, enabling a low-end, possibly otherwise redundant, Intel and compatible PC to become a hardened Internet firewall. The SmoothWall team created a real alternative to hardware routers with costs beyond the financial reach of most individuals

Yeah!

Why don't you disable your firewall, but before you do make sure your all free of the nasties and then see what happens when it is disabled.

My guess is that you'll notice nothing...(but does that mean nothing has or has not been done)

Just try it...

As powerless knows, Ive been running without a firewall for the last three years!

Nothing ever got through until last week, then I had just the one. [Worm Spybot] but even then Spybot S&D picked it up and AVG removed it.

Not sure how the worm got through in the first place, still working on that. But I have a feeling that I was on-line for a couple of minutes without AVG running.

This was by mistake in between changing ISP providers. I always keep AVG running, but if I install a new program, I turn it off, after checking the program with AVG, install new program then turn it back on. All this is done off-line.

I think, but not sure, I turned off AVG to install new program, closed my IE6 browser down forgetting I was on B/B and still had an open connection! :wub:

Guest nellie2

My worry isn't so much things getting in... I have a router which makes me invisible on the net. What worries me is things getting out. I re-installed Windows Messenger last night and it has been trying to connect to the net every five minutes and I don't even have it running...........why??? :huh: In the end I told Sygate to block it altogether because it was being a persistant little so and so.

My worry isn't so much things getting in... I have a router which makes me invisible on the net. What worries me is things getting out.  I re-installed Windows Messenger last night and it has been trying to connect to the net every five minutes and I don't even have it running...........why???  :huh: In the end I told Sygate to block it altogether because it was being a persistant little so and so.

ok, are you concerend about Marketing cookies?

Guest Shirley_Crabtree

I surfed for years without a Firewall and NEVER had any problems.

When I DID install a firewall all I ever got was false alerts...I'm surfing bareback again now and not particularly worried :whistling:

Cheers.

Shirl.