Loosing your way

Guest northamuk

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest northamuk

Hurdy, I fully understand what you are saying, but while thee, thou, and you, may well have driven our ancestors wild, the total misuse of grammar/spelling (as evidenced on internet chatrooms and forums) is completely indefensible. Sorry.

Hurdy I was not calling you an old fart, as you have not put your birth date in your registration information. I was just stating that as you have just replied that their is a time and a place for english and text speak and people should learn which situation demands which.

Guest northamuk

If they learn "proper" English isn't it to be expected that they can use it? Do we type "Scouse" or "Geordie" or "Scots"? use your dialect when conversing but use what you have learned when communicatig via print, unless, of course, you haven't learned it properly.

Guest Drovers Dog

:P

Crikey Mate, have a gander at this, next thing they will be picking on the Aussies!!

We'll have to send over the Redfern boys to sort them out!!!

:censored: :D

I see no problem with text on mobile phones, it does speed up writing the message. Like Northy I deplore what has happened in general however, with the Americanisation of our language. Why do we have to slavishly follow the Americans in everything they do? I hate to hear 'absolutely' used as a sentence. (Are you going out tonight? Oh absolutely.) I also hate to hear a person called a 'chair', instead of 'chairman or chairwoman'. The word like has now unfortunately become one of the most misused words in the English language. many young people cannot say a single sentence without using 'like' several times. For example, why use 'he was like annoyed, instead of he was annoyed'? Yet another Americanism is to say he went, instead of he said. There are dozens and dozens more. For heavens sake, let's get back to using our own language. I have no problem with the Americans using their own version of the language, but do we really have to follow like a load of sheep.

Guest Drovers Dog
I see no problem with text on mobile phones, it does speed up writing the message.  Like Northy I deplore what has happened in general however, with the Americanisation of our language.  Why do we have to slavishly follow the Americans in everything they do?  I hate to hear 'absolutely' used as a sentence.  (Are you going out tonight?  Oh absolutely.)  I also hate to hear a person called a 'chair', instead of 'chairman or chairwoman'.  The word like has now unfortunately become one of the most misused words in the English language.  many young people cannot say a single sentence without using 'like' several times.  For example, why use 'he was like annoyed, instead of he was annoyed'?  Yet another Americanism is to say he went, instead of he said.  There are dozens and dozens more.  For heavens sake, let's get back to using our own language.  I have no problem with the Americans using their own version of the language, but do we really have to follow like a load of sheep.

Crikeys, I gotta agree with me old Mate Andsome!!, these goddamn Tanks are fracturing the Bloody good old English we grew up with, even my bloody Missus and all me cobbers from the Pub reckon it is a bit of a suck of the raw old Sav!!!

BTW, how did the Kiwis get involved in this, I think they are the ones who follow bloody sheep around!!

Now this is an interesting debate.... my other half has always had a problem with spelling, it was the way he was taught in school I think. It was so bad that I had to write all his letters for him etc.

Then came the computer with spell check. Because he knew he had a problem with spelling he always checked everything, he learned from this and now his spelling is one hundred times better. So computers have done something positive in my view.

Obviously spell check doesn't teach grammar and punctuation but it is a start.

Guest Drovers Dog
Now this is an interesting debate.... my other half has always had a problem with spelling, it was the way he was taught in school I think.  It was so bad that I had to write all his letters for him etc.

Then came the computer with spell check.  Because he knew he had a problem with spelling he always checked everything, he learned from this and now his spelling is one hundred times better.  So computers have done something positive in my view.

Obviously spell check doesn't teach grammar and punctuation but it is a start.

Actually, Nellie, Computors try to!!! Office 2000, and Office XP, really try, but most of us override it!!!

People who have used either might notice the blue sqibbly lines under phrases!!

JMO!

Guest Drovers Dog

Actually I was hoping that our Members from Ireland would get involved, and any Members from Scotland or Wales??

Seeing as we are discussing the English Language!!!

English is spoken throughout the Commonwealth!!!

But not always the same way!!!

Guest Drovers Dog

I hope noone gets offended with this, I just Posted this Comment on the US Site we sometimes go to, they were talking about how to handle their wives when they bought new jeans, and the question was asked, "Does this make my butt big!"

My Comment!

Time for a little Aussie Humour!!!

I always say to my Missus (Wife) , "God, Darling, you look so beautiful, if others had an arse (butt) like yours, I might be tempted to stray!!

Actually I was hoping that our Members from Ireland would get involved, and any Members from Scotland or Wales??

OK - having been through the trauma of leaving my native Scotland in my late 20s to live in that foreign land they call England with hubby and 2 boys - we went through the indignity of people saying 'eh?' or sometimes 'pardon?' when any of us spoke - oh yes - we came from civilised parts and were actually well educated and well spoken ! :D But that was all to do with the spoken word, not the written one.

Drover's Dog - leave it mate!! :D :unsure: This little scottish terrier here has ended up having had more than a bellyful of such things in life since then. :rolleyes:

The Scots are not an uncivilised provincial nation - we learn reading, writing and pronunciation of English - honestly!! So do the Irish and the Welsh and, I believe, the Australians!!

Oooh - I feel a verse of 'Flower of Scotland' coming on :ph34r:

As I said before, I see no problem in Americans, or anyone else including Australians using a localised version of the language. What upsets me is the fact that so many young English people slavishly follow Americanism's in every day speech. Local dialects, Brummie, Highland or Lowland Scottish, Welsh or Irish are all OK when used locally in everyday talk. But surely the written word should be as true as it is possible for each individual to make it.

Guest Drovers Dog

OK - having been through the trauma of leaving my native Scotland in my late 20s to live in that foreign land they call England with hubby and 2 boys - we went through the indignity of people saying 'eh?' or sometimes 'pardon?' when any of us spoke - oh yes - we came from civilised parts and were actually well educated and well spoken ! :D But that was all to do with the spoken word, not the written one.

Drover's Dog - leave it mate!! :D :unsure: This little scottish terrier here has ended up having had more than a bellyful of such things in life since then. :rolleyes:

The Scots are not an uncivilised provincial nation - we learn reading, writing and pronunciation of English - honestly!! So do the Irish and the Welsh and, I believe, the Australians!!

Oooh - I feel a verse of 'Flower of Scotland' coming on :ph34r:

Lassie, don't you worry about the old Dog, He is a Stewart!!!

150 years ago my Rellies did the same!!!! Only they came to the Best kept Secret on the Planet!! We are all, really crazy, but lovable!!!

Hurdy is right! The English language has developed and changed over many centuries. Any effort to halt this development (and there have been many) will end in failure. The whole point of a language is to communicate effectively. English does this extremely well and better than any other language - that is why it's the number one language in the World. Any changes which result in ineffective communication will be discarded - as they always have been. You need not fear; the English language will become stronger through diversity (and that includes text speak).

peter e