Loosing your way

Guest northamuk

Guest northamuk

Loose and lose are not interchangeable and have nothing in common.

Posted for no other reason than that it annoys me immensely when they are used incorrectly - they don't even sound the same!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There, their and they're - esp on US sites

That assumes that English is spoken/written in the USA - it isn't. English may be the parent of the language of the USA but it most certainly is not English as we know it. American has its own spelling, pronunciation and grammar such that before long it will be so far removed from its origins it will be counted as a language in its own right.

Now, when it comes to that garbage language known as text (or should that be txt?) I feel that western civilisation is in rapid decline.

...  that garbage language known as text (or should that be txt?) ...

Funnily enough .... I'm not exactly a young thing - but I am very proficient with Pitman's shorthand and can relate my brain to some of the txt speak and the requirement that users have for it - both are the same in that it is not the way that the word looks when written, but in the way that you sound out the symbols to transcribe it.

Probably irrelevant but I do have a Trivial Pursuit mind :blink: :lol:

.... yes - very useful and necessary for mobile phones - could almost use it to take down quick notes at work &etc.

Mind you - being a shorthand person - I was disciplined to transcribe my squiggles & things into exactly what the dictator said - and rather a lot of what was dictated wasn't exactly 'proper' English either ! :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

I use 'txt speak' on my mobile to communicate with my children.

1.It saves time.

2.The children understand it better - a written down version of their teenage mumblings :P

But I suppose that we have to accept that the English language is a living entity, always growing and evolving.

Posted for no other reason than that it annoys me immensely when they are used incorrectly - they don't even sound the same!

Are you an english teacher? :lol: :lol:

My niece is crap at spelling - but it doesn't inhibit her - and I'm happy she keeps in touch. In the scheme of things, does it matter all that much?

Are you an english teacher? :lol: :lol:

My niece is crap at spelling - but it doesn't inhibit her - and I'm happy she keeps in touch. In the scheme of things, does it matter all that much?

Does it heckers...

Guest northamuk

No, I'm not an English teacher, and YES it does bloody matter. The internet is about to destroy literacy and Txt speak will simply accelerate this destruction. Those who say it doesn't matter are simply sticking their heads in the sand or....? Maybe they find it easier to type phonetically?

Maybe you have the lack of an ability to adapt to social change?

Why don't you WILLINGLY try to learn the so called text [you'll notice you typed "Txt"] speak?

...as long as you stick to your roots you'll be ok northamuk.

No, I'm not an English teacher, and YES it does bloody matter. The internet is about to destroy literacy and Txt speak will simply accelerate this destruction. Those who say it doesn't matter are simply sticking their heads in the sand or....? Maybe they find it easier to type phonetically?

You are so touchy! :)

Of COURSE it matters! I am only saying that I would rather someone communicated, even if they can't spell, rather than getting all hung up about it and retiring into their shell!

To at least TRY is a big thing for some less fortunate to have been able to get a decent education.

I agree with northamuk, the standard of English of the younger people is diabolical.

A lot of them cannot spell basic english, the exams they take these days do not take into account how words are spelled.

When I look at the spelling on some application forms it makes me cringe.

I have no objection to txt speak but I do object when they start using it in reports where it can be misunderstood.

Guest northamuk

Trackrat, I stated in another thread that by 2010 Txt speak will be the norm and schools will be teaching in this bastardised language, I see nothing to revise my opinion.

The point I was trying to make earlier is that the language is changing constantly.

It changes from generation to generation.

If it hadn't changed we'd still be saying thee and thou. Imagine the sticklers of that generation hearing 'you' from their children

It must have drove them wild. :P