HINTS AND TIPS

Chris

Please post HINTS AND TIPS in here, no matter what they maybe, just post them.

If your posting anything operating system related give us a clue and tell us what the hint and tip will work on [Windows, 95, 98/SE, ME, NT, 2000, XP, Linux]

If your posting for an application, give us a clue and tell us what application it will work on [Word, Adaware, Windows Messenger]

ALL OFF TOPIC POSTS WILL BE DELETED

Posted this the other day but re-posting here to get the ball rolling.

Use a bit of Blue Tack (or the new White Tack!!) to hold screws on the end of your screwdriver when inserting screws and use a bit of the same to stop the screw falling into the oblivion of your computer case when removing.

The original idea was to use chewing gum but B. Tack is a bit more hygienic and suitable for non-chewers.

Better than a magnetic screw driver as it works with all types of screws and there are no nasty magnetic forces lurking about your hard drive and whatever else is sensitive to magnets inside your computer.

:)

System Restore from a Command Prompt WXP

Sometimes when you install a program or driver, it might render XP unbootable. If your computer won't boot into the operating system normally, you might be able to boot into Safe Mode and use System Restore to go back to a previous restore point to fix the problem. But what if you can't even boot into safe mode? Then you need to start the System Restore tool from the command line. Here's how:

When booting your computer, press F8 to bring up a boot menu

Select Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Select the operating system to start (if you have multiple operating systems installed)

Log on with an account that is a member of the administrators group

At the command prompt, type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Press Enter

This will start the "Welcome to System Restore" screen. Go through the steps of the Wizard and follow the instructions to restore your system to a previous restore point

I wrote the other week about a defrag utility which I found very good prior to using or downloading video (AVI, DV etc.).

Since then, I've been looking at various video processing software programs for my son's company who are going into video making on a commercial basis (TV ads and such like).

This is not directly about video but about defragging again.

I've found that ALL of the video manipulation programs I've looked at - even pro versions - make a complete mess of the filing and order of your main hard drive, even if you are placing all the video files on a separate drive.

So, the point of this is: if you are doing any video work, check the fragmentation of your drive(s) before you start and if there's any sign of a defrag being required (even if it tells you not), get it done. It will save a lot of bother later on. :)

• 1 month later...

More a "don't do this" than a tip.

We all like to have our internal wiring all neat and tidy, don't we?

Instead of having the inside of your machine looking like a demented rat's nest, tie all the straying cables together in convenient groupings.

BUT (this is the point of this post) ALWAYS USE PROPER CABLE TIES - you know the nylon things that thread on themselves and lock. NEVER use the plastic (or paper) covered wired things that are used to fasten plastic bags and hold various bits and bobs together.

I know someone that used these things for tidying the wires in his audio amplifier. The metal core of the tie shorted the circuit board to earth and the whole unit went up in a very stinky fire.

Same thing could easily happen with a computer - you have been warned!! :o :o :o

I get so cross when I have to make a new folder.

I hate all that right clicking, scrolling up and down to New, then up and down to Folder. Horid, waste of time.

I've tried storing a spare New Folder in the quick launch bar - and that worked well for a while.

Untill I heard this one:

To make a New Folder, click in the area you want it added, and

Alt + F > enter > enter

(then type name of your new folder)

That's it !

Alt + F > enter > enter

Bosh-bosh, bosh-bosh (that's sound effects for happy keystrokes).

I think it's wonderful. Hope it helps you too.

• 2 weeks later...