Fitting CD/RW

Boris

Just been asked if I can fit a ? CyberDrive 40x16x48 CD/RW model 78 ? for a friend this weekend

Not seen it at all - but no box/instructions/manual with it - bought new - very cheap but "as seen" with OEM Nero 5.5 CD.

PC is Win98 or SE with 256meg and Pentium 2 ? and has one 8/10 ? gig H/D on Primary - he intends to fit another as well for back-up "soon".

On Secondary is already a DVD-ROM drive, so I'm intending to set the new CD/RW as the master instead and make the old DVD-ROM the slave.

Will have to get an audio lead obviously + screws, but do I need to think about anything else for the install ?

He was thinking about moving the DVD-ROM to be a slave on the Primary because he read it somewhere ?

I can't see the point however ?

Any feedback ?

Thanks

Thanks for info - I've not got a CD/RW myself yet so never installed one before.

Neither have I seen either the PC or the CD/RW yet - a treat for me tomorrow ?

DVD/CD master + CD/RW slave seems logical.

I couldn't see any point in making it slave to the H/D anyway.

I suppose its got a vacant drive bay ???? - he didn't say ! :unsure:

Just got back home from 60 mile round trip re. this - everything OK

EXCEPT

that the ****** PC was originally only fitted with 2 connector IDE cables,

:angry: so I couldn't connect both the old and new devices at the same time + PC World was closed when I got there at 5.05 so I couldn't get a 3 connector one !

Where's a cheap source (low postage cost) - for an IDE/ATA 40 pin 18" cable ? Scan was 7 quid for postage !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There is one reason to have cd-rw slave to HDD

And that is if you want to copy "on the fly" the 2 drives must go through the CPU and can not therefore be on the same IDE channel

I would set it up as follows

Set CD-RW to slave on IDE1 with HDD

And set cd-rom as master on IDE2

madboy33

Hi All

Ok as it is an old hard drive it wont make much difference where you put the cd-rw,

But as a general rule

IDE 0 = hdd

IDE 1 = DVD master + CD-RW slave (does not really mater which way round master or slave)

The reasons for this set up is, the newer hdd are faster and if you put a CD,CD-RW or a DVD drive on the same IDE channel, the channel will only run as fast as the slowest device connected to it, and a CD Rom drive is a lot slower than Hard disk Drive.

This is relivant to hdd made with in the last 3 years (aprox)

All the best

Tony

That's exactly what I did :D

He's just emailed to say that with Nero, whenever he tries to format a CD-RW it gets about 50% through (about 5 minutes) and then it stops and he gets a BSOD.

Not having one of these new fangled things myself, :rolleyes: I ain't got the practical knowledge to help ! :unsure:

Suggestions/advice welcomed !

Probably just the Packet writing software, i think with Nero it is IN-CD,

Tell them to make sure that they have the latest updates from Here

I remember i had so much trouble getting the Packet writing software working with w98, i just gave up with it in the end.

Tony