Membership, what can we do about it?

Guest Drovers Dog

Guest Drovers Dog

:P

In a thread to Welcome a new Member, Willie, Andy2004 mentioned that we had some 200 Members that had not Posted, and Willie had probably joined them!

I did some Numbers crunching, and found out that of our 835 Registered Members, 420 have NEVER Posted! 107 have Posted Once, 53 have Posted twice, and there are 38 Members with over 500 Posts!

Come on people, if you want this Forum to work, POST!

Suggestions will help EVERYONE!! Please make them POSITIVE!

I just care for this Forum and you all!

:wub: :D

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't do anything about it. I have joined several forums on a whim and then not bothered with them again. This is human nature. We enjoy it ourselves and others are more than welcome to join AND USE IT if they want to. As yet there is no law which says that you have to use a forum after registering at it.

I am a realist

Have we not been here before? I'm sure you mean well DD but it really is a pointless campaign. If people want to post they will, if they want to watch from the sidelines they will do that also.

Every forum has is spectators and participents, it is perahps a flaw of this system that shows the difference between the two numbers.

Have we not been here before?  I'm sure you mean well DD but it really is a pointless campaign.  If people want to post they will, if they want to watch from the sidelines they will do that also.

Yes. :)

Guest Drovers Dog

But, I believe that most Visitors, read Posts like this, plus most of the others, so why is there the Negative? We should all be Positive!! This Forum has had a big Jump in Members, just because WE ARE POSITIVE!

WE ARE DIFFERENT! and you people know that!

I did some Numbers crunching, and found out that of our 835 Registered Members, 420 have NEVER Posted! 107 have Posted Once, 53 have Posted twice, and there are 38 Members with over 500 Posts!

I shall be the person who has posted more than twice but less than 500. :huh:

Is this right? :unsure:

The numbers only show you one things. I bet most of the 38 members who have over 500 posts have a fairly high percentage of :D and other similar expressions of emotion which in themselves may be valid posts and are part of the 'culture' of the site but don't have any significant meaning.

As the saying goes "if you have nothing worth saying then stay quiet" perhaps 420 of the 825 members are in that position. When they have something they feel worth saying they will say it.

How many people buy a newspaper and how many write to the editor? Numbers are just that...NUMBERS!

420 not posted - that's a HUGE amount!!

Still, it's nice they are still there ...............

I have to plead guilty of being a member of two forums where I have never posted. I do look in all the time though.

How do I make a quote box as Artist has used at 12.30 p.m. please. I used the quote button between the @ and the code, in the reply box, is this wrong?

Drag your mouse over the text you want to quote abdul and copy then click on the quote button and another little window will open. Paste your text into that window and it will appear as a quote in your message window but on posting it will turn into the outlined quote like this. :unsure:

I have to plead guilty of being a member of two forums where I have never posted. I do look in all the time though.

I just click QUOTE on the post that I want to use. I then scroll down to the actual quote and delete anything which I do not want to include. Then in the appropriate space I type my reply. As in this sample using PART of Artists posting

As the saying goes "if you have nothing worth saying then stay quiet" perhaps 420 of the 825 members are in that position.  When they have something they feel worth saying they will say it.

I totally agree as I come in that category, I also log on here and enjoy reading the postings every day.

Guest Drovers Dog

Wonderful! Some Positive Posts, and some help as well, THAT is what makes THIS so Different, and so Wonderful!!

:D

Drag your mouse over the text you want to quote abdul and copy then click on the quote button and another little window will open. Paste your text into that window and it will appear as a quote in your message window but on posting it will turn into the outlined quote like this.  :unsure:

Thank you Djohn, andsome and artist. :) Most kind.

So easy when you know how.

I have tried this so I hope it will work. :unsure:

Guest Drovers Dog

Drag your mouse over the text you want to quote abdul and copy then click on the quote button and another little window will open. Paste your text into that window and it will appear as a quote in your message window but on posting it will turn into the outlined quote like this.  :unsure:

Thank you Djohn, andsome and artist. :) Most kind.

So easy when you know how.

I have tried this so I hope it will work. :unsure:

You got it right, Abdul, maybe we could all learn something from you too!!

Maybe some of the ones that don't Post are just a little shy? and just maybe? a little timid?

Hopefully most of our Visitors, and our unposting Members will learn that this place is the friendliest Place on the Net? We all work very hard at that!!!

to be blunt...all the unactive members really really Piss me off

y cant we e-mail all the inactive members and say....

"are you coming back if not you account will be deleted"

except with a lot more caring words  :)

Sir Rad was right we have been here before!

Just because a member doesn't post does not mean they are inactive. We have plenty of people who spend time here searching our archives. If someone can find what they are looking for then that is good enough for me.

There are no plans to delete anyones account, it is not a condition of membership that you have a certain post count and there are no plans for that either.

If people want to take part then that is fine, we all love meeting new people, but if they don't feel comfortable or have nothing to say... then that is ok too.

to be blunt...all the unactive members really really Piss me off

y cant we e-mail all the inactive members and say....

"are you coming back if not you account will be deleted"

except with a lot more caring words  :)

And if they come here and read posts like that, i think they would just go.

What is your problem with inactive members?, how are the hurting you?

Tony

nellie: i know thats the kinda of thing you have to say because you an admin ad all....but even if you do believe it...comon...you cant honestly say that you believe that those 300 members or whatever it was are active in any way....and whether they are or not...e-mail them and ask them....y cant that be done?

You got it right, Abdul, maybe we could all learn something from you too!!

Maybe some of the ones that don't Post are just a little shy? and just maybe? a little timid?

I think this is a question to me, if this is not so then please excuse me.

I visit when I can, this is quite often. I read to learn and find it very funny. I am not shy but sometimes do not want to say the wrong thing .

Their are lots of expert technical people here and I cannot understand some of it. But I learn from a lot of articles on here. I appologize if I donot post many times and I am sure lots of members who donot write here get lots of enjoyment from reading.

abdul

You do not have to apologise for not posting too offten, just carry on doing what you are doing, i have no clue why some members here are getting so upset about other members not posting too often or at all.

Tony