change the URL for Windows Update??

wlandymore

Does anyone know how you can change the internet address

that windows update will go to when you click on the

Windows Update link?

Not sure if this is a network question really, but it does concern a network, SUS, etc., so I thought I would post here....

I went to the registry in

HK_LM>Software>Microsoft>Windows>current version>Windows

Update>AutoUpdate..... and the other keys below Windows

Update, but when I switched the URL in there nothing

happened.

Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Hello wlandymore, and welcome to the Forum. I have just returned from a trip away, so I will research this further later, but in the meantime, would it not be easiest for you to simply create a shortcut to the location you wish to use, and then replace the "Windows Update" Icon in the start menu with this instead?

Also for my benefit, where exactly do you wish to point the update facility?

Regards. Mr. Mouse.

that's acually not a bad idea. I hadn't thought of that.

the site that they would be conecting to would be an internet address. We have a domain where we would test the updates and then we would want to deploy them to a server in another location.

Of coarse we won't be able to automatically have them download like it does for Windows Update, but perhaps sending out an e-mail to use the update shortcut would be a workable solution.

Please let me know if you find out anything more about whether it would be possible to get the same sort of icon that could somehow get the updates automatically, instead of up having to tell them to go to the site.

thanks.