Service Pack 2 Available Here

Craig

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started the download at 8.20 pm and left it running whilst I had dinner. When I returned to the computer an hour later the download speed had dropped to 8 kb/s - and I am on blueyonder 756 kb/s broadband.

The download eventually took 2 hours 12 minutes followed by 32 minutes to install.

I hope it proves worth it.

Thank you Craig.

Thanks for uploading it for us Craig. Just curios- did you get any errors after installing it? I want to install it, but I wanna make sure first that it doesn't generate any errors or lose any info from the computer. If it does, I think I'll want 'till Microsoft releases it thru Windows Update.

Thanks for uploading it for us Craig. Just curios- did you get any errors after installing it? I want to install it, but I wanna make sure first that it doesn't generate any errors or lose any info from the computer. If it does, I think I'll want 'till Microsoft releases it thru Windows Update.

No errors at all.

The only thing i had that was a little annoying was the install telling me to connect my laptop to AC Power even though the battery had 2 hours left. I then had to waste 5 minutes restarting the install :blink:

Hello bpn and :welcome: to Windows Forum.

Please don't think I'm badgering but are you sure of the wisdom of using an email address as your forum moniker?

Unscrupulous people use "web ferrets" to seek out email addresses on the Internet - especially on forums like this. They then use these to deluge the addressee with mountains of junk.

As an answer to your question: I'm not surprised that IBM are being cautious. I'm of a similar view and will be very circumspect about when (or if) I install SP2. I have downloaded it and may try it on one of my older (less important machines) later but my prime computer will have to wait a good long time. :)

1/ Has anyone who installed it had any problems yet?

2/ I understand that the firewall is activated by default. At what stage in the install do you get the option to override this option. I don't want to reboot and have conflicts happen right away.

3/ I also understand that it contains an AV program, (is that right). At what stage do you get the opportunity to deactivate this, as again I do not want conflicts.

3/ I also understand that it contains an AV program, (is that right).  At what stage do you get the opportunity to deactivate this, as again I do not want conflicts.

No, there is no AV program. You just keep yours :)

That's good. What about the firewall though? I don't want XP firewall, but unless it can be de-activated at the install stage, I am worried about conflicts on re-start with two firewalls active.

I've had one problem

I choose to restore a clean image of Windows with SP1 on it, and then installed SP2 over the top. Once that was done i started installing my software.

I installed my Logitech Setpoint software for my bluetooth keyboard, and was required to reboot (thats normal). Once rebooted and logged into Windows, once the setpoint software started to configure itself, i lost control of my mouse and keyboard. Usually the hardware wizard pops up and does its thing, but this time nothing!

I had to go borrow another USB mouse to get control of my PC and click a few buttons before the bloody thing would work :angry:

But here i am now B)

Like Andsome I am waiting to see what problems occur before installing it, I do not know if it is related but Expertec is having problems with Firefox after installing it.

Also from anyone who has installed it do you get the option to turn of the XP firewall on installation

Sorry fogot to say. No conflicts. Using syegate firewall.

That's good, I am too.

Sorry trackrat, I have downloaded it, but I haven't installed it yet. :D I downloaded it using Firefox last night, and today Firefox isn't working. They shouldn't be related, after all it was just downloading a file. :blink: