I resign

nellie2

I've made a post in the other thread from "no one in particular" before I saw nels reply to this thread. If anyone would care to read it, it would save repeating it in this thread.

There are a couple of extra points I would like to make though seeing that nel has requested it. In the three heated threads last night I saw and posted to two of them, I was also in contact via PM with others. There have been a couple of false statements made. One was what caused the argument and the other was referring to Moderators always being on show. I believe this to be an incorrect statement.

Last night I had four screens open. [Tiled] 1) the main page. 2) the "Last click"link page. 3 & 4 the two threads concerned.

As I viewed each thread I was constantly refreshing the page for new replies. this registers as a "View" and can be mistaken for the amount of people that have looked at the thread instead of how many times an individual has refreshed the page. Out of over 100 views approximately 40-50 were caused by me refreshing the post.

I saw on each thread the names of members reading same and who was making a reply. There were also a number of guest looking at each thread. As I looked at the last click page, I could observe a guest logging in. Back to the thread and refresh the page, 1 guest less and a Moderator now reading the thread. This happened on a couple of occasions with the two threads I saw. As the moderator left the thread he/she/ also had their name disappear from the bottom of the main page only to show up in the last click page as an extra guest.

This has happened many time in the recent past, too many times for it to be a coincidence. It has made me feel uncomfortable and as though I am being watched from behind a closed door. I have expressed my feelings to a couple of close friends/members of the forum but not told them of the observations I've made, just that I felt unsettled and was unsure of my future commitment to the forum.

I love this forum. I am not ashamed or embarrassed to say so, I spend more hours here than most other people. Members that log off at around 10:00-11:00 pm will see I'm still here, other members on during the night will also see I'm still here, often until 3-4am. It makes me sad to see what is happening between nice people that in my opinion is often caused by heavy handed unjustified moderation of a thread when non is required.

Please, if you read this post, I would also like you to read what I have said in the thread I refer to above before making any judgement on me.

Regards. John.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DJohn, You are one of our most respected members. (there are too many of you to name!)

You mention feeling like your being watched? I make a special note to read every post made, sometimes more than once, not so I can find a way to edit you, but find out more about the wonderful people here. I also get quite bored at (one of) my job(s) so I am often seen reading a thread several times, wheather it be to come up with a witty reply, or just to get to know the users better.

I'm sorry Scarecrow Man, it may be my fault but once again you have missed the point being made.

I don't mind you reading my post, I have no objection at all. The point I was referring to is the fact that on what to me seems many occasions, Moderators are sat on the forum as "Guest" and only show themselves when they need to respond to a post. To respond to a post, they have to log in, this is when the guest number decreases and the moderators on show increases. It is this that makes me feel I'm being watched from behind a door.

Maybe I'm just paranoid. :(

I have my browser set to auto login, so the only time I'm a guest is the first few seconds while I wait for the page to load (dial-up... gotta love it. :lol:)

I always like to make myself available, and if you don't already know,

Please, anyone feel free to PM me if you have any problems, or if you just want some friendly banter :D

EDIT: I don't get the point a lot DJohn, :lol: Not your fault :)

I make no apology for copying this from PCPITSTOP it just seems to epitomize the hypocritical Schadenfreude of many dual members. Kris BTW is AKA Besty on here:

Kris Posted: October 7th, 2004, 11:17 AM [Report]

Advanced Member

Group: Members

Nellie2 is a dead on ladie. All the moderators except a certain northaperson and an ex. mod are dead on. I havent spoke to craig that much but seems ok... But that one mod has caused me a great deal of annoyance. And i am easy going . They basically caused my forum to fold( is still up but is goin down down down wowowo (sorry got carried away) ) I am still pretty at this and would love to be able to do the same to their forum. I do not want to fal out with anyone on WF but northaperson get a life. I am going to be asking all my computer questions here from now on...

Its difficult at the best of times to try to express oneself [i am talking about me.] but more so when you feel there is much to be said, not enough time to say it.

In my post above I should have inserted but didn't.

"I don't mind you reading my post", should have had with it, "In fact I hope you do read them, that is why I post them" :)

I make no apology for copying this from PCPITSTOP it just seems to epitomize the hypocritical Schadenfreude of many dual members. Kris BTW is AKA Besty on here:

Kris Posted: October 7th, 2004, 11:17 AM [Report]

Advanced Member

Group: Members

Nellie2 is a dead on ladie. All the moderators except a certain northaperson and an ex. mod are dead on. I havent spoke to craig that much but seems ok... But that one mod has caused me a great deal of annoyance. And i am easy going . They basically caused my forum to fold( is still up but is goin down down down wowowo (sorry got carried away) ) I am still pretty at this and would love to be able to do the same to their forum. I do not want to fal out with anyone on WF but northaperson get a life. I am going to be asking all my computer questions here from now on...

Your point please? I love a clever person who can quote and knows that I am Besty here and kris on the pit. Would you like a bonio ?

Nel

Thank you for your PM, this a typical example of your consideration to other members and illustrates just why you should not resiegn. Your tact and diplomacy are greatley appreciated and needed when things get out of hand, I applaud you.

Your commitment to this forum is legend and would be a grievous loss, please do not consider yourself responsible for the recent problems they have not been caused by any ommission or lack of ability on your part.

I as one of many would be very sad to see you resign from your post and urge you to reconsider and carry on the good work

Lester

Djohn,

I understand where you are coming from with regards to the amount of guest decreasing as and when a moderator appears.

Indeed it seems like you have monitored this particular occurrence for sometime to draw a justified conclusion.

I myself have auto-login enabled, so as soon as I request WF, I am logged in. However while I am in a public place, I do browse topics as a guest, and only login if I wish to post a response or access PM’s etc.

I will look into what you have stated in your posts above, and see if I can reach a conclusion.

Craig.

Please everyone stop, I'm not that nice, I snore and everything. I didn't post this thread to get any kind of reaction, I just wanted to let you know what I had decided to do.

I'll re-think it ok?

Now please let me know what you think has gone wrong here so we can put it right.

What has gone wrong is this forums purpose of a windows forum.

Now where I come from, that means:

1) A Place on the internet where people can come together and help each other out in the friendliest way possible.

Oh and a bit off-topic discussion where regular forum members can post all sorts [within the boundries of the guidelines] and well have a laugh. Have a debate...

Allow ones person view on the world not to be overshadowed by someones opinion. It does not matter whether a person is right or right......as long as its all within the guidelines. Oh ever thought off correcting someone?

Correct me if i'm wrong but the majority of members are adults? SO BLOODY WELL ACT LIKE IT.

Windows Forum should accept critism, praise, negativity and repsect its members for what they put into it. Wheather they help in the technical forums or provide a joke, they are the life - nothing more, nothing less.

What's the point in discussing a suggestion via PM, let everyone view it. Pass a few ideas around...brainstorm an idea.

And most importantly ANSWER A QUESTION.

My Point? Go back to what you know - It's a formula that works.

This is a personal comment and is not posted in my Mod capacity.

To reply to some of the points raised in this thread.

I use SlimBrowser's auto-log-in facility, so when I come here I can assure you that I am always visible bar the 2-3 seconds while the log-in takes place.

I personally (having been a member here from day 1 of this incarnation of WF and also having been a member of the previous WF) have seen all sorts of happenings here, over the years and would wish to give my 100% support to Nel at this time.

She does an extremely difficult job as well as it is humanly possible.

Do not forget - this place is a family/community. No family group is ever totally in harmony, there are always ups and downs and differences of opinion.

I am confident that any moderation exercised here is done for the general good of WF (as it has been envisaged/evolved by Craig and his staff).

No one should ever forget that it only exists through his good offices !

My personal view of this place is that there is possibly too many mod's.

I dont mean any offence to any moderator, but there is too many of you guy's. But i think as the old saying goes too many cooks spoil it all.

But nel, you are possibly the fairest, nicest mod i have met, always friendly to talk to, helpful (Remember me and linux 6 months ago?), but the main thing is you dont enforce your own views accross, even if it is against your belief's, you just sit on the fence, not get angry......

So what if you snore? i do and i bet a few others on here do!

But if it is really what you want then fine, but talk to craig, i dont think he could survive without some female view point...

I haven't been here much in a few months because there were alot of issues trying to get in and so forth but those seem to be ok now. At any rate dear moon reminded me I hadn't been here lately and I came back yesterday to visit only to find that there are some problems going on and our dear Nellie is wanting to leave.

This forum has always been fun to me and the sense of humors found here are generally terrific. There are some really great folks who post here and I hope they continue to stay here and that includes MOON!!!

Tankus invited me to check out this forum and I did and enjoyed reading things here and Nellie made me feel so welcome and has always been such a nice lady. I really hope you do reconsider Nellie. Not only are female admins rare, you have a good sense of fairness and are very kind to newcomers. Have a glass or ten of wine and take a little break from it all... but come back.. they need you here!

:group: :wub: We love ya! And we will wear earplugs during the snoring :P