• Off the Topic and Welcome zone
    • Debates and Poll Station
    • The Game zone
    • Off the Topic and Debates
    • Off the Topic and Game zone
    • Debates and Game zone
    • All three
    • Leave it as it is

Having taken on board a couple of comments that have been raised over the past few days I was wondering if you think any or all of the Off the Topic and Chill Zone boards should be viewable to logged in members only.

I think I've got all the choices down, :blush:

your right cd, it is a free world but I think the bigger picture might be that people who are looking at this board that might need help or want to help will look at some of the replies in "off the topic" discussions during rare instances where things get out of hand and decide that this place is not for them. I believe Nellie and the owners of this forum would like everyone to be able to ask questions here and have new people come with their experiences help out others. "off the topic" should be viewed by members only. There are many forums that work that way and I think it's probably best. (IMHO)

Its a first impression thing. You only have one shot to make a good first impression.

I've made my choice and voted accordingly. It will be unfair to say how I've voted at this stage as I have no wish to influence other members.

I think it is safe for me to say that any public forum should be open to all visitors and guest, those that want to take an active part by making a post only need take the few moments to register and become a member.

I do feel quite strongly though that the forum should have a section that is visible only to members. This would allow the members of the forum to discuss any issues that they find are causing a problem to them as an individual or the the forum as a whole.

Which ever way we decide to vote. For the future success of this forum, we must at all cost avoid a repeat of recent events that will only give the visitor - guest a totally wrong impression of its current members and moderating staff.

Regards. dj.

I've made my choice and voted accordingly. It will be unfair to say how I've voted at this stage as I have no wish to influence other members.

I think it is safe for me to say that any public forum should be open to all visitors and guest, those that want to take an active part by making a post only need take the few moments to register and become a member.

I do feel quite strongly though that the forum should have a section that is visible only  to members. This would allow the members of the forum to discuss any issues that they find are causing a problem to them as an individual or the the forum as a whole.

Which ever way we decide to vote. For the future success of this forum, we must at all cost avoid a repeat of recent events that will only give the visitor - guest a totally wrong impression of its current members and moderating staff.

Regards. dj.

Agree 100%. I would like Forum Topics to be viewed by logged in members only, and anything remotely contentious moved there for thrashing out.

Agree 100%.  I would like Forum Topics to be viewed by logged in members only, and anything remotely contentious moved there for thrashing out.

I understand what you are saying, but announcements like temporary loactions/forum downtime etc. go in there and guests should be allowed to know about those. :mellow:

Perhaps I am being thick again - but I don't fully understand the wording of the question.

Members should be able to read all the forums - so why ask which forums should be viewed by logged in members - the answer has to be all of 'em.

Perhaps the question should be phrased - which forums should be viewed by logged in members only.

I haven't been here for some time, in fact the last time I tried you were closed. I take it this was a problem that is now solved.

I would just like to say that if visitors cant see what they are signing up for, then they wont sign up!

I am sure that anything 'Top secret' can be sorted out by mods and admin off forum, so why hide anything else?

Hi cocoon and welcome. Not top secret and all the board should be open to guest so that thy can see if they want to join. Just as you say.

There are though, times when members only of a forum need to discuss things for the benefit of the forum and we need one section only where this can be done. :)

Hi cocoon and welcome. Not top secret and all the board should be open to guest so that thy can see if they want to join. Just as you say.

There are though, times when members only of a forum need to discuss things for the benefit of the forum and we need one section only where this can be done.  :)

Agreed, that's why I suggested 'Forum related topics', as that place.

Otherwise - add a new forum called Members Lounge restricted to logged on members to add threads and posts.

This is what I was thinking too. A seperate area where any problems can be worked out without potential members seeing and being put off by it.

I know it was the Off topic and joke board that got me to register here. For me it is my favorite place to lurk. :blush: :D

Otherwise - add a new forum called Members Lounge restricted to logged on members to add threads and posts.

Excellent idea.

The rest should be open - it's the whole that attracts people - as I keep saying (boringly) the are plenty of just tech forums about but this place is that bit different...

Thanks for voting... it looks like the concensus of opinion is to leave things as they are.

We have Forum Related Topics which is only viewable when you are logged on so I doubt that Craig will want to create another forum... although I quite fancy the idea of a 'boxing ring' or something similar! :D Hmmm... perhaps not! :blush:

If anyone has any further ideas that they think might go down well then please let me know... We are always open to ideas! :)

I think the consensus is for change (56.41% at the time of sending this). The problem arises in the change(s) preferred.

May be run the poll again without the "Leave it as it is" option.

:)