Jerry Springer: The Opera

This show is apparently a fairly offensive one which the BBC has apparently admitted pushes the boundaries of taste and decency and is accepted to be a deliberate attack on good taste.

What do you think? Is this really 'quality' TV?

There are rumoured to be something like 8000 offensive words in the script. Try emailing that scipt to any company in the world and I would be very surprised if it got through the mail filtering software.

I don't have a problem with free speech but fail to see that the showing of this can be done under that guise. Cast your minds back to Birmingham a few weeks ago and you would you not have to accept if this show focused on one of the other main religions the outcry would have been far louder - would the Beeb even have considered showing it?

I really don't understand why the BBC want to show this.... If I want to listen to bad language and watch people putting on a show for the audience I can just wander around at pub chucking out time!

I really think my license money can be better spent

Well said. It's getting difficult finding anything worth watching most nights

I agree, it looks an awful program but I will have to differ with the odd comment. Mark Thomson is a fantastic DG and not many companies self analise their self in full public view. Commercial stations wouldn't dream of it. I wont be watching it but theres a lot of chest beating by those that have yet to see it. I'm all for people having a belly ache about whats on the TV/radio because it keeps standards up but the BBC is still setting standards in the media and is revered throughout the world.

The spirit of Greg Dyke still alive and well as public service broadcasting gives the finger to the public.

I don't understand that statement at all, Dyke changed the entire face of the BBC. At one time you had to attend Oxbridge to get at job at the beeb, he came in and woke it up, he started moving the BBC more up north and as well as coining the phrase "make it happen" he also opened up the beeb to real people.

One

Two

Good, keep plugging away to keep standards up. [or raise them as it were] BTW you wont see soaps on BBC 4 and BBC 3 trials out all new up and coming progs. The world is changing andsome and people are watching/listening to different things. Big brother ETC: now is massive [though the opening day figures are down on last year] there is a supposed pig cash payment for the couple who have sex whilst in the house! Now thats bad tele.....

Good, keep plugging away to keep standards up. [or raise them as it were] BTW you wont see soaps on BBC 4 and BBC 3 trials out all new up and coming progs. The world is changing andsome and people are watching/listening to different things. Big brother ETC: now is massive [though the opening day figures are down on last year] there is a supposed pig cash payment for the couple who have sex whilst in the house! Now thats bad tele.....

I have NO interest whatsoever in watching big brother

It will never change (The BBC That is!) So if you find a program that is rude or offensive there's one real simple thing to do!....turn it over! I couldn't care less about this jerry springer show, I have no interest in it and it doesn't bother me in the slightest that it might contain 8000 swearwords...why?...because I'll have another channel on!

It will never change (The BBC That is!) So if you find a program that is rude or offensive there's one real simple thing to do!....turn it over!  I couldn't care less about this jerry springer show, I have no interest in it and it doesn't bother me in the slightest that it might contain 8000 swearwords...why?...because I'll have another channel on!

The problem is finding something worth watching on another channel. Mere tripe is produced now than ever before. Some nights are wall to wall soap opera from 7PM onward. If soap opera isn't on, it's reality programmes or make over programmes, or what not to wear rubbish. At least the BBC does come up with a gem now and again, together with an occasional decent programme on channel 4. ITV however is a complete waste of space most of the time.

The problem is finding something worth watching on another channel.  Mere tripe is produced now than ever before.  Some nights are wall to wall soap opera from 7PM onward.  If soap opera isn't on, it's reality programmes or make over programmes, or what not to wear rubbish. 

Or some tarty old bat in stiletto heels and a economy size beehive hairdo cleaning someone else's filthy toilet bowl. Yeeeeuuuuuk :angry:

I don't watch much TV nowadays.. I find other things to occupy my time. But you can't please all of the people all of the time and I do think that the BBC and British independent channels are second to none when compared with whats available in other countries. :)

The Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news /2005/01/08/nspring08.xml&sSheet=/portal/2005/01/08/ixportal.html) is claiming that 50,000 complaints have been made.

Ofcom said it had received 7,361 complaints, eclipsing the record of 1,554 over Martin Scorsese's film The Last Temptation of Christ in 1995.

I just hope we don't hear anyone on the BBC ever criticising the government for not listeninging to the people.

As it has long been said "all it takes is for good people to do nothing for evil to suceed"

Edit: the reference above has been split to avoid horizontal scrolling. If you want to refer to it, remove the space between "news" and "/2005"

Starting now and it has been proceeded with a waring by Kirsty Wark warning this is an award winning production, why should it not be shown?

From the opening few minutes it is obviously a run of the mill opera – with a shed load of swear words, how many of the objectors have watched an opera? It’s exaggerated life at its fullest sense. Opera is not real life, look at the most famous – making love to their mothers and sisters! Let’s keep a realistic outlook on this. To me its tat but that doesn’t mean it shouldn't’ be shown.

If the day arises when objectors can dictate what is shown on television then that will be a dark day indeed.