Knowing Knoppix

nellie2

There is a free book available that explains Knoppix to Windows Users The easiest way to play with Linux without messing up your Windows installation is to use the free CD-based Knoppix distro (distro?). All you need do is boot from the CD and within a minute or so you'll have a full working version of Linux. Pull out the CD and you can boot into your normal Windows system.

Discover more from the free downloadable 134-page book, "Knowing Knoppix. It includes a very useful section on how to use Knoppix for Windows disaster recovery.

Knowing Knoppix

get Knoppix here

I've got Knoppix but didn't get very far with it, I might have another play with it now! :)

Just for the record:

nellie: geeks are lazy by nature. "distro" is short for distribution.

There are many many Live CD's available, Knoppix is just one. Right off teh top of my head: Gnoppix (Knoppix-Like, but using a differnet gui (Gnome as opposed to KDE)), Mepis Live, Ubuntu, Gentoo Live (usually used for the install), SuSE Live, MandrakeMove. All with very good documentation, and all available for download at your local FTP server :)

• 4 weeks later...

There is a site called: Budget Linux CDs:

http://www.budgetlinuxcds.com/

They have quite a selection of "live CDs" with which to experiment without the need (or risk) of actually loading any Linux on your machine.

I had no idea that beyond Gentoo & Knoppix, there are a BUNCH of distributions to give one an exposure to Linux OS.

They are very cheap - they'll burn you these CDs and ship them for next-to-nothing. Have fun!

• 1 month later...

I recently received the Ubuntu Linux absolutely free.

Got a Live CD and the complete OS (2 CD's) sent to me from Switzerland and they even paid the postage.

No charge what-so-ever. :D

Here's a link if anyone is interested.

http://www.ubuntulinux.org/

I haven't had the nerve to try it yet. I'm such a dummy when it comes to this sort of thing and I'm terrified I will mess up something. :blush:

Now we have a Linux section in the forum I might get up the nerve to try the Live CD ;)

I haven't had the nerve to try it yet. I'm such a dummy when it comes to this sort of thing and I'm terrified I will mess up something.  :blush:

Now we have a Linux section in the forum I might get up the nerve to try the Live CD ;)

I've played with several live linux cds, you cannot go wrong if all of your hardware is recognised. ;) Toughest thing I believe being modem. You do need ram, I think they all specify a minimum of 128, the more the merrier. I regularly slap in a live cd if i have to go somewhere I shouldn't :D

I'm going to try it this weekend :D

I am also wondering about the modem thing..

I have dial-up through Juno and they are so against anything not Windows I'm wondering if I will be able to get online with the Linux. Juno says it now can be setup with Lindows but doesn't tell how to do it and I don't know if it's any Linux distro or all of them :(

Oh well...all I can do is give it my best shot..

Nothing ventured nothing gained eh?

Courage is: being afraid and doing it anyway!!! ;)

well I've used Knoppix and BeatrIX though a cable modem and router with no problems it's all set up automatically, of course that's my expereince yours may be somewhat different.

But at the end of the day the worse than can happen is it won't connect and you have to use windows. You can't "break" anything (unless you delete "C"LOL)

• 3 weeks later...
I'm going to try it this weekend  :D

I am also wondering about the modem thing..

I have dial-up through Juno and they are so against anything not Windows I'm wondering if I will be able to get online with the Linux. Juno says it now can be setup with Lindows but doesn't tell how to do it and I don't know if it's any Linux distro or all of them :(

Oh well...all I can do is give it my best shot..

Nothing ventured nothing gained eh?

Courage is: being afraid and doing it anyway!!!  ;)

Linux will not work with most Winmodems. http://linmodems.org/ has some support, but even if you find a driver for your modem, dont be supprised if it still doesnt work.

• 9 months later...

heres a good list of linux live CDs iv messed with most of em and have unbuntu and knoppix install to my hard drive on most my michines

heres the live CDs link

http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php

heres a good howto on using knoppix to fix or recover stuff off a trashed windows michine

http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/