Should we make mars habitable?

scuzzman

Are we in a position to make Mars habitable?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Are we in a position to make Mars habitable?

• Yes
    • No

I was reading and managed to come across this article:

Blueprint for life on Mars proposed

PASADENA -- Releasing greenhouse gases into the martian atmosphere could produce a habitable environment on the Red Planet, a new study by a graduate student at Caltech says.

Science fiction has presented the idea of creating an Earthlike atmosphere and climate on Mars since the 1940s, and Carl Sagan and others brought the notion into the scientific realm in the ' 70s.

Now Margarita Marinova's paper provides details about four specific gases that could trigger a runaway greenhouse effect on Mars, warming the planet, releasing frozen carbon dioxide and beginning a millenn ia- long shift to Earthlike conditions.

The idea is highly controversial. But Marinova, who did her work as a research assistant at NASA's Ames Research Center, said, "By the approaches we suggest, you're basically reverting Mars to its past environment ... any dormant life on Mars would be given another chance to live.'

My question to you is, are we in a position to make Mars habitable for human life? Not technically, but ethically?

Hope I'm dead when that happens!

TOOOO far away!! :unsure:

Are you claiming to be a criminal or cat then??

Worse - a blonde.

We'll keep the blonde's here, otherwise we loose a good source of fun. Who else could we blame for everything daft that happens?

She's very pretty! Bet she doesn't know about your 'blonde' prejudice! :P

She's lovely. Artist you used the wrong term in blonde prejudice. We aren't prejudiced against blonde's, We love 'em because they provide a lot of light hearted fun bing so scatty.

We'll have to go beyond the planets eventually when the Sun goes Supernova in a few billion years so Earth will be doomed.

Going to Mars is the first step...in maintaing life elsewhere other than earth.

It won't effect us, we'll all be dead but the first trip to Mars I think will happen in my life time and I'll see the beginning of Humans going beyond.

First Mars, then...and who knows where we'll end up.

We'll have to go beyond the planets eventually when the Sun goes Supernova in a few billion years so Earth will be doomed.

First Mars, then...and who knows where we'll end up.

If the sun goes super nova , then Mars has had it's chips as well as Earth

shouldn't we make the earth habitable first?,rather than making it uninhabitable as we are doing now.

I think that a lot of politicians have decided that taking any genuine action to stop global warming and preserve life as we know it on planet earth is neither financially desirable nor a big vote winner. Keeping the electorate alive is not in the interest of big business election campaign backers.

Leaps into 10 litre ‘compact’ SUV and vanishes down road in cloud of high-octane fumes to preach the gospel of global preservation to a group of tree huggers.

:ninja:

Bush thinks that there is no such thing as excessive logging. He reckons that chopping all the trees down for an enormous profit is great, because it reduces the likelihood of forest fires. What a statesman.

GWB no doubt contributes, but this is a global problem with politicians of all flavours in all parts of the world suffering the same degree of short term stupidity. Chairman Mao did his bit, having the wonderful idea to cut down many of Chinas forested areas and turn them over to rice cultivation, result massive soil erosion and rivers and new hydro electric plant silted up. Another of his strokes of genius was to kill all the birds as they ate the crops, so hoards of people kept shouting and banging pots and the birds were not allowed to rest and eventually dropped dead of exhaustion. Problem was this indiscriminate slaughter also killed all the insectivorous birds, result crops eaten by uncontrolled population explosion of insects.

The French take potshots at song birds as they migrate to and from the UK.