Recruit-a-Member campaign

Guest northamuk

Guest ellas

yes but whizwrinkly as you said thats all you have at pca 2 choices although that was not always the case with the lounge and gamesroom which are now gone,our most popular forum by far is off the topic,then the madhouse no posts in these 2 boards would be allowed at pca,you could slim the amount of boards down here it but would be interesting to see what the other members say.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason I stayed here, was that it was an alternative to PCA, Seemed friendly at the time (still is).

I soon found out, that if I needed any technical help this site can more than match PCA for knowledge maybe not speed yet, but thats only due to PCA's vast registered users.

Since ive joined and right up until this very moment I believe this site beats the pants of any other forum and I think with more members this place could become every bit as well-known, which is why I'm actively getting involved with the publicity side of things.

From my own point of view, put simply, if it hadn't have been for this place, I would not have had a clue about website design, I would not be doing a Java programming course and looking for a new career in this area of computers which I'm simply addicted too. I would not have gotten the same warm friendly help anywhere else.

I'm not looking to slag of pca, its been a valuable resource of the years and I still use it from time to time, but I truly believe in this site and forum!

Cheers

Damo

Guest Nellie2

Different strokes for different folks I suppose.....personally I like the layout here, it is easy enought to check, just by glancing at the main board, when the last posts were made. Also, I find PCA frustrating at times because the pages take so long to load. I can view three different posts here in the time it takes one to load there!!! :(

Having said all that, I do still visit but perhaps not so much these days.

I'm glad you keep coming back whizwrinkly, you babble as much as you like!! ;) :P

I've said this before. In my umble opinion this site complements the PCA techie one. The replies, comments and opinions are more rounded and wholesome in a down to earth sense. I think newbies, as I still am in many senses, can find direct answers to specific questions in PCA. However, postings in here can result in much richer replies. More akin to real life. You have to start somewhere. After that you takes your choice. One mans meat is another mans poison. Or is this too late for you andsome? :rolleyes:

Guest whizwrinkly

I agree with all that Damo says, and this set up suits me. I can add a funny, talk about the weather, or just read he-he's input and sob gently (with laughter). But... the thread started with encouraging new members! Every time I come here I scroll down the page to see who's online, and it always seems to be a selection from a total of about twenty regular names.

Where have the others gone in such a short time? It is a Windows Forum, and almost 9,000 replies to 800 topics are nothing to do with Windows or any form of computing! :blink:

I like it here because of that reason, it's not total geek stuff :D , but we are talking about new members, and how to keep them here, not our small group's preferences (if I may include myself in "our gang"). :rolleyes:

Maybe a separate page for gossip, jokes, etc. would help, so that if all you want to see is techie stuff you log into a second section. :huh:

It may not be practical, just another long winded suggestion <_<

I still very much enjoy PCA site, and visit this and PCA about equal. I agree with the view that perhaps we could cut down on the number of boards. I think that being able to go to the first unread thread is a useful idea, but unfortunately it frequently does not work, and takes me to the last posting. This is a minor point and possibly something to do with my settings regarding cookies, (oh not him again)

I just want to add my t*beep*ence worth - I go to PCA everyday to see what's been posted. I don't read most of them though. It's an excellent site for technical info but I still find it slightly intimidating to post anything as everybody seems so knowledgable. I started from scratch about 18 months ago and learned a hell of a lot from PCA. I like the consumer section too.

But this forum has a much friendlier feel and I don't feel stupid if I write rubbish (good company, and all that).

There is certainly just as good advice and help on here with the advantage that I can ask something without somebody saying what a prat I am.- - well not to my face, anyway.

The format of the place seems nice and easy to me - with everything in it's own section. As has been said, you only need to pick up what you haven't seen before. Much less annoying than having to scroll down pages and being unable to find anything in the search of PCA - My one big niggle on there.

It does seem a bit cliquey on here, I must agree, But look at how many people view the posts, they must be a bit interested.

There, I feel better now! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest moon

Hi All. Well, I'm not part of a 'clique' , as I've only just got here, but I'll risk adding to this thread as an unknown noob. :)

I've only had a PC for under three years and been online for just two. I've spent that time at an American site because it was the first friendly site I stumbled upon. Now, I was just about the first 'Brit' there but the Brit community has grown to a couple of dozen regular posters in the 'General Discussion' section. The rest of that site is pretty high tech. and fairly anonymous so I couldn't say how many others are there, perhaps even some of you guys under diff. names. Anyway, the 'cross the pond' atmosphere is good.

I went to the PCA site because I felt it was time that I explored a Brit site. I took a couple of American friends with me but they got bored with the slowness of the servers and I got a pretty negative response when I suggested there that they formed some sort of 'bond' with the American site, you know, instead of a load of UKers going over there it would be nice to tempt some Brit-friendly Americans ( and there are an awful lot of them now) over here instead. It's a shame that the PCA potential bummed out but this site looks like a good contender for such a friendship, humour, character and skills. I could PM a few guys, as it's bad form to go trolling, and some might drop in. Waddya think ? No worries if you'd rather not, I'm sticking around anyway. :)

Guest ellas

yes I like that idea moon,craigs been trying to encourage americans as with the time difference it would help keep the forum busy when the brits are asleep ,post the link if you like ;)

Guest moon

It's the Pit, PCPitstop. http://pcpitstop.ibforums.com/

You'll probably all know the testing facility there, which is the basis of the site's success, but the forums might be new to some. Anyway, the idea's for some of them to come here, not vice versa. There are a fair few who would find participating in a Brit site quite refreshing. :)

PS. I won't mention it at all until you've checked it out.

Guest Nellie2

Oooh yes........I'll do the tea and biccies!!! I like the idea, we are a little bit international anyway what with Germany and Singapore etc.

When are they coming? I'll put my best frock on!! :lol:

Guest moon

Rofl ! :D

K, I'll just casually mention this site and see who turns up. I'll spread it over a few days so their post count doesn't dip . :D

Guest Nellie2

What's so funny about me putting a frock on??? :o

I don't surf in the nude ALL the time you know. In fact I got out of the habit when Ellas started peering at me with that eye avatar..........creepy!! :P

tried it with the laptop once, did give me some tips to try, they worked but you could do the same yourself by trawling the net and finding the info, it's good in that it was all in one place and automatic once you download their tweaks.

Ive been to their forums, (and posted) good but not as good as here :D :D

interesting,never tried one of these pitstop tests do they really work :huh:

The tests are really meant as a benchmark for 'your' machine. folks on there try and compare scores alot,,but in my opinion they are better suited to giving you an idea of where 'you can improve',,it offers some tips and a few autofixs too. I run my machines once a week just to make sure nothing is dropping real fast. but I don't get into the 'speed' thing much at all. :) v

Guest moon

Thanks for coming by, you two. You're my favourite Pitpeeps. :) Before the cross-pond fertilisation gets established though I'd like to know.....are there any other Aussies here ? I don't want to be representing the Lucky Country on my jack. :D