New External hard drive

lester1

andsome, if you're getting it as a made up unit, it will just plug in and you're away. It will require to be partitioned and formatted though if you're putting your Acronis backup on it. Can I suggest you read the Acronis manual very thoroughly before embarking on setting it up. The reason is that Acronis Secure Zone (if you're using that) is in FAT 32 and its partition needs to be reserved to be able to fomat in that - don't worry Acronis will do that for you.

andsome, if you're getting it as a made up unit, it will just plug in and you're away. It will require to be partitioned and formatted though if you're putting your Acronis backup on it. Can I suggest you read the Acronis manual very thoroughly before embarking on setting it up. The reason is that Acronis Secure Zone (if you're using that) is in FAT 32 and its partition needs to be reserved to be able to fomat in that - don't worry Acronis will do that for you.

Now I am getting worried. Expect some posting requesting help after Christmas. 15.gif18.gif

Ah well we will see. I have never had reason to partition a hard drive before, and don't have any such software. I will wait and see when I open the packet up, it has already arrived, but I am forbidden to look at it until Christmas day.

Life isn't all beer and skittles.

I put the USB2 PCI card in and installed the HDD in its enclosure, and then in view of the fact that I had nothing else that was USB2, with which to check the card installation, I fired the whole lot up. Almost instantaniously I got nothing. Windows did not recognise the drive and would therefore not load a driver for it. I suspect the card is not pushed hard enough home (at least I hope that's what it is). So I plugged it into the existing USB system (olde style). Widows recognised it and I was able to load a driver system. However when I click on "My Computer" the external drive does not appear. It appears in Control Panel>System> Device Manager (in various places) but is absent from "My Computer". I am at a loss to understand this because when I plug in the card reader (for photos) it just comes up with three different additional drive letters, which disapear when the card is unplugged.

If I can not find it I can not hit it with "format". Any further suggestions would be, as usual, gratefully received.

Have you tried right clicking My Computer / click Properties / Management / Disk management, to see if it is thier amd format it from there.

If it is click on the drive letter to initialise it first.

What operating system are you using as this is for XP.

His computer still runs on steam, using 98 or 98SE

I think I have subjected it to my will (in part) by going Control Panel>system>device manager>disc drives and then marking it as "removable" and giving it a drive letter, which then allowed me to format it. The next adventures will be a) seeing if it works and B) finding out why the USB2 PCI card does not want to cooperate.

Of course, following on from andsomes comment, I sometimes put many of my problems down to this imported coal. You just can not raise steam with it as good as you could with some of the better nutty slack from the Barnsley area. Sharlston nuts were very good, but pricey.

Catgate did you load the 98 drivers of the install Cd after you installed the card?.

That's a good question. I thought I had done so, but when I have firtled about and made sure the card is properly in its slot (it was very tight and I did not want to damage the MB), I shall go through it all again. But for now I shall just see what I can do with transfering some stuff to "backup".

I wish I had our grinning leader here, he always gets my backup!

Erhem

Now that catgate and andsome have sorted thier problems :wink:

I have bought a 250gig USB2 drive, just a thought might sound daft but will all of the USB ports on my PC run at USB2? I have the enhanced controller in device manager but the PC has a PCI 2 port USB2 card installed in addition to the motherboards 6. :ohmy:

M/B MSI K8N Neo2 platinum.

Many thanks

Erhem

Now that catgate and andsome have sorted thier problems :wink:

I have bought a 250gig USB2 drive, just a thought might sound daft but will all of the USB ports on my PC run at USB2? I have the enhanced controller in device manager but the PC has a PCI 2 port USB2 card installed in addition to the motherboards 6. :ohmy:

M/B MSI K8N Neo2 platinum.

Many thanks

Yes they will, as it is unlikely that you will use all 8 ports at the same time there is no chance of overloading them.