Autoruns vs. Startup Inspector

I have been using Startup Inspector for a while now, but I have not been 100% happy with it.

I recently found Sysinternals' Autoruns, and it looks like it can do a lot more than Startup Inspector. Two questions before I start using it

• Does anyone here have any experience with Autoruns?
  • Is it required (or recommended) to undo any Startup Inspector changes before using Autoruns?

I went to the forum at the Startup Inspector website, but after registering I found it completely filled with spam. I didn't see a support email address?

Anyway, Startup Inspector never returns anything when I click on Consult. Also, there is a lot of stuff missing.

I have some dead networking devices in my Device Manager, which Windows does not let me uninstall (even in Safe Mode). Autoruns enables me to exclude these devices from being loaded; this is the main reason I want to use Autoruns.

But I think I will get myself into troubles by using both Startup Inspector and Autoruns.

Must be something wrong with your installation then.

When I click on "consult" in mine it give details of everything that wants to start at startup. If I then click on a particular item it gives me in depth details for almost all of the items.

I don't have lots of dead items in my lists though, just things that try to start up but are successfully prevented from doing so, if necessary, by the Startup Inspector software.

Must be something wrong with your installation then.

When I click on "consult" in mine it give details of everything that wants to start at startup. If I then click on a particular item it gives me in depth details for almost all of the items.

I don't have lots of dead items in my lists though, just things that try to start up but are successfully prevented from doing so, if necessary, by the Startup Inspector software.

Ditto here. Why not uninstall it, run a registry cleaner and then try it again?

My only issue with start up inspector is that it does not recognise certain programmes - including Diskeeper.

Like all things - you need to be careful how you use it.

If you scroll down the page after consulting, you can click on get more information from Google

If you scroll down the page after consulting, you can click on get more information from Google

I am aware of that andsome - and do so for some of the more obscure stuff that might appear on my commputer. However - I would expect the programme to recognise the better known programmes such as Diskeeper which has a large following.

I don't have any problems with start up inspector and find it quite usefully.

However if there are any dead startups that I want removed permanently I edit the relevant 'Run' key in the registry to remove it. (backing up the registry first of course)

I have restored all settings in Startup Inspector, then uninstalled it.

Now I use Autoruns, which allows me to prevent far more from loading at startup. (Startup Inspector showed 36 items, of which I disabled 10; Autoruns shows me 500 items!)

I do not recommend Autoruns to the average Windows user; this tool has the power to completely ruin a Windows installation by indiscriminate disabling of essential processes or drivers. Windows may not even start in safe mode.

• 2 months later...

I know that there are a few people here in this forum running Autoruns.

A new version 8.5 is now available from http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Autoruns.html

This new Autoruns release adds scanning of LSA security, notification, and authentication providers as well as Explorer protocol handlers and extensions.

Have never heard of the program before Pat. Will definitely look into it though, thanks :D

Before you do, read what Pat has added above.

I do not recommend Autoruns to the average Windows user; this tool has the power to completely ruin a Windows installation by indiscriminate disabling of essential processes or drivers. Windows may not even start in safe mode.

At leaset Startup Inspector does not cause this type of problem. I know what I am sticking with. :D

Before you do, read what Pat has added above.

At leaset Startup Inspector does not cause this type of problem. I know what I am sticking with. :D

Heheh... I hope I'm past that point by now :D It actually is a very useful program. Has a LOT of different capabilities that could prove very useful in diagnostics.

Fear not though andsome :) I'm running Windows only in a virtual machine (I don't have a Windows box in the house :D ) now, and when I make potentially damaging changes I commit whatever I'm doing and make my changes at will. You see, the virtual machine runs in what is called "snapshot" mode. Any changes I make without explicitly telling it to commit them are gone on the next "reboot" as if i had never made them. Thus, whenever I go to make such a change, I commit it first, then change with impunity :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Noob here, wasup guys?

Autoruns is simply the best. I do not find startup inspector much more usefull than start-run-msconfig.

Autoruns gives you the total picture, and I safely have about 90mb ram usage on startup.

"I do not recommend Autoruns to the average Windows user; this tool has the power to completely ruin a Windows installation by indiscriminate disabling of essential processes or drivers. Windows may not even start in safe mode."

It is safe under these conditions: start autoruns, go to options & tick 'hide microsoft entries', then hit refresh to refresh the list and be assured no microsoft entries are shown.

Right click & google on anything before you untick it to remove it from startup. Some of the startup items are so obscure so you'll have to dig deep for the info sometimes. Note that unticking some programs won't necessarily prevent it from working, it just won't run at startup, for example sometimes I don't even go online after I reboot so I don't have antivirus in my startup.

Google & research the items. Even if your 100% sure you don't want it on startup, just untick it first, after using your pc with it unticked then you can delete it if you desire.

All of my advice is based off the mother of windows guides, the tweakguides tweaking companion.

http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html

I highly suggest you guys check it out.

personally, i find if you have a good understanding of your system. you can use Spybots S&D's startup control. under Advanced in all version of S&D. i trust by S&D becouse i know the programmers, i know there view and there wrighting under a GPL license.

more than i can say about these "shady characters" of new day licenses, they try to do 40 different ways from sunday to make sure you cannot copy it, modify it or install it more then once.

im suprised they havent made it yet for you cant look at the program after you opened it yet :D

anyways, back to the whole startup end of things.

Autoruns and Startup inspector i decompiled (with approval ofcourse from the Manufactures) and i see alot of third party running around in the main excutable. both are focused more on making registry checks to verify settings and check the system for double entry's of a specific program called "tfswctrl.exe" then verify's to see if the PEID of Spybot S&D, Hijack this and adware is availible. if it is it trys to kill the running process. then decompresses the application, sets the EOP, then runs the application to modify startup entry's.

It is safe under these conditions: start autoruns, go to options & tick 'hide microsoft entries', then hit refresh to refresh the list and be assured no microsoft entries are shown.

I respectfully disagree. I have several useless Microsoft startup items disabled (rdpclip, hkcmd, igfxtray), but some non-Microsoft entries may be essential to successfully start Windows

personally, i find if you have a good understanding of your system. you can use Spybots S&D's startup control. under Advanced in all version of S&D. ...

SS&D does not list all startup items; Autoruns does. Most of the ones I have disabled in Autoruns do not show in SS&D. Maybe because they are already disabled...?

And there is no chance of messing anything up provided you tick 'hide microsoft entries', and you just uncheck items, not delete them. Startup Inspector is no more powerful than msconfig, so its fine in general but if you really want to tweak & speed things up, autoruns it is.

Usefull info Pat, I'll research those items and see if I need them.

• 2 years later...

Just to add to the warnings about being careful in this thread - this morning my computer woud not boot into Windows. It kept looping back to the BIOS screen.

Last evening I had used Autoruns to get rid of an annoying pop up which irregularly happens at computer start-up asking me to run hprbupdate - Google tells me it is an HP Printer driver update - but I do not have an HP printer.

Whilst unchecking this item in Autoruns - I noticed a few more items which seemed redundant and unchecked them too - including some Brother items - but I don't have any Brother peripherals either.

Acronis came to my rescue - after some further tests it appears that the Brother items are needed - but why I have no idea.

A timely reminded for me that "if it aint broke don't try and fix it".

Ever since earlier warnings on here about Autoruns, I have fought shy about trying it out. Having said that, Startup Inspector gives very little information about very few programs these days. It just directs you to look on Google. :D

Acronis came to my rescue

A timely reminded for me that "if it aint broke don't try and fix it".

Good advice AlanHo, and a timely reminder to have a recent backup handy.

I needed Acronis to rescue me yesterday. Phew. It's all sorted now, thanks to me backup.