I'm getting a satellite dish

I've always resisted any thoughts about satellite TV - due mainly to its association with Murdoch and all he stands for but, I now learn that there is no intention of digitising the local TV transmitter within the foreseeable future so any prospects of getting a terrestrial sevice over and above the four traditional channels is zilch.

So, I'm not entertaining anything from Murdoch, just going for the free-to-air services and to this end, my son has got me a receiver from one of his clients (for free), he's bought a (new) dish and associated gubbins from eBay for £5 + carriage and tomorrow he's putting up the hardware for me (I'm too decrepit to do it).

Anyone aware of any difficulties in doing it ourselves? I should point out we have an electronic satellite locator to help line it up. I'm thinking (hoping) that it will be reasonably easy.

I'll keep you posted.

Perhaps I didn't make it clear.

My local transmitter is not going digital. Digital transmissions are necessary to receive Freeview on terrestrial TV.

What I am getting is "free to air" programmes which includes Freeview and, apparently, a whole lot more.

Might be different here, but when I set up my satalite, I had to adjust skew, angle and ? on the dish. It had to point towards a satalite, and the reciever hooked up via a simple coaxial connection.

It was quite easy, and the booklet instructed on how to adjust the dish and at which angles for my location.

My local transmitter is not going digital. Digital transmissions are necessary to receive Freeview on terrestrial TV.

What I am getting is "free to air" programmes which includes Freeview and, apparently, a whole lot more.

I understand now. However I was under the impression that analogue broadcasting is supposed to be on its way out altogether.

I understand now. However I was under the impression that analogue broadcasting is supposed to be on its way out altogether.

Alledgedly, or just a ploy to make everyone buy a new tv :lol:

I was under the impression that analogue broadcasting is supposed to be on its way out altogether.

So was I but a recent enquiry to the powers that be resulted in my being told that there are no plans in the foreseeable future to upgrade the local transmitter to digital.

This surprised me as living in one on the most sought after (and consequently expensive) parts of the country surrounded by "celebrities", government ministers, mistresses of government ministers and other ne're-do-wells I would have expected that this locality would have been one of the early converts to terrestrial digital.

I am now satellited up.

The hardest part, workwise was drilling the wall for the brackets.

I was surprised how easy it was to position the dish (or perhaps we were just lucky).

Being flown to France this afternoon for a belated birthday dinner at a Le Touquet restaurant.

Back later :)

I was under the impression that analogue broadcasting is supposed to be on its way out altogether.

So was I but a recent enquiry to the powers that be resulted in my being told that there are no plans in the foreseeable future to upgrade the local transmitter to digital.

This surprised me as living in one on the most sought after (and consequently expensive) parts of the country surrounded by "celebrities", government ministers, mistresses of government ministers and other ne're-do-wells I would have expected that this locality would have been one of the early converts to terrestrial digital.

Perhaps they dont have time for TV :lol:

Perhaps they dont have time for TV :lol:

Ahh but, being as egoistic and self-adoring as these people are, you would expect them to spend all of their time going between mirror and TV set. :)

Is that the dish where you can get that foreign channel that shows all the premiership matches aswell (the ones that some pubs use)?? If so im jealous

I don't think so. I'm not going to pay to receive anything - they get enough out of me in licence fees and in paying a premium on just about everything I buy to fund commercial stations and I'm certainly not going to line Murdoch's pockets.

Having said that, though, I'm amazed at the number of completely free stations that can be picked up. An awful lot of them are total rubbish or of zero interest but I'm still trawling through then.

Having said that, though, I'm amazed at the number of completely free stations that can be picked up. An awful lot of them are total rubbish or of zero interest but I'm still trawling through then.

You are quite right, it is amazing how much there is "out there" that is total rubbish. We got a "set top box" for digital terrestrial TV last year. I did not aligned the aerial properly, but aligned it well enough to see that until we are obliged to go onto digital for the major five TV channels we have no interest in "Free to view" tripe. [i think I watch no more than 2 hours per week (comedy and satire) plus motor racing.]

The major five have taken the concept of "presentation before content" to unbelievable heights. I strongly suspect that before long the idea of "content" will be dropped altogether as being an impediment to stronger presentation.

The terrestrial channels are as bad as the others. Wall to wall soap opera and reality programmes. One night of the week Coronation Street is on twice plus Emerdale. The whole concept of TV programming has been dumbed down to the lowest common denominator. If the TV is on in the other room when I am elsewhere and a trailer for a soap comes on it is obvious without even seeing the screen that it is a trailer for a soap, all they seem to do is to shout and cuss at each other. If that is supposed to be a reflection of real life than I am glad that there is something seriously wrong in our house, because we certainly don't live like that. Soaps, reality, make overs, etc, for heavens sake don't these programmers have any imagination at all? Rant over.

Don't get the impression that I'm addicted to television, certainly not. What I wanted was to be able to watch channels such as BBC3 and 4 who show the programmes that BBC2 was originally commissioned to show but which has been taken over by the same pap as all the other terrestrial channels.

The biggest problem with today's television output is simple - there is too much time available when programmes are transmitted so, inevitably, they have to fill that time with something so along comes all the garbage.

I can easily remember a time when the TV stations didn't open until 5-00pm and closed at 11-00pm (with the Epilogue). The rot started in 1983 with the BBC starting the first daytime programmes - Breakfast Time I think it was called. Even then they had difficulty filling the allotted 2 hours with fresh stuff so it was the same few minutes of carp* repeated over and over again.

*slight spelling error there.

The terrestrial channels are as bad as the others. Wall to wall soap opera and reality programmes. One night of the week Coronation Street is on twice plus Emerdale. The whole concept of TV programming has been dumbed down to the lowest common denominator. If the TV is on in the other room when I am elsewhere and a trailer for a soap comes on it is obvious without even seeing the screen that it is a trailer for a soap, all they seem to do is to shout and cuss at each other. If that is supposed to be a reflection of real life than I am glad that there is something seriously wrong in our house, because we certainly don't live like that. Soaps, reality, make overs, etc, for heavens sake don't these programmers have any imagination at all? Rant over.

Sounds like a repeat episode of "Grumpy old men" :lol: :lol:

Good job you dont have to watch Spanish tv ;)

Grumpy old men is a a good programme. Far better than when they made one called Grumpy old women, it just did not come across as funny.

Perhaps we enjoy it cos we are :lol: :lol:

Are you claiming to be a grumpy old man or a grumpy old woman. Please elucidate. :D :D

Grumpy old men is a a good programme. Far better than when they made one called Grumpy old women, it just did not come across as funny.

Are you claiming to be a grumpy old man or a grumpy old woman. Please elucidate. :D :D

:lol: :lol: the grumpy old woman is at work ;) and the grumpy old man is here

Do NOT elucidate on a public forum!

Elucidation is perfectly respectable for over 55's.

:lol: :lol: the grumpy old woman is at work ;) and the grumpy old man is here

Best place for her.