E machines

catgate

One of management's friends has been telling about her E-machine refusing to operate and being diagnosed as a victim of a lightening strike. Can anyone tell me if these computers are "industry standard" or do they use their own design of components like a few other cheapo builders?

He must have been on my mind..........

:P

Next time just give me a call.

Mind you, these days I need a couple of days notice and a fork-lift truck. ;)

Sorry about your E-machine, catgate. Aren't they the ones sold by PC World? And aren't all machines susceptable to lightning strikes if not protected by a surge protector?

Thos.

My guess would be that they use "cheapo" standard components. You need to get the covers off to check - that is - if you are either volunteering or under orders.

After posting the original query I have googled about somewhat and I do not like what I have seen written about them. The description of its ailments seem to confirm that their legendary under powered PSU has blown, but if it has blow to open circuit things might not be t too bad but if it has short circuited then there could have been a lot of hot chips.

I saw one sad tale of a chap who claimed that after fitting a larger PSU, by dint of cuting holes in the case, he had no room left for the Floppy drive.

Beam me up Scotty.

catgate, I own an e-machine. Bought it in Oct. 2002 (I think).

I have mixed feelings about it.

When I first turned it on I couldn't get it to boot up. Had to use the rescue disk.

Then, almost every update for Windows XP (it came installed) I downloaded, made the computer lock up and I had to uninstall it. I have only managed to keep about 30 of the updates.

I also added some memory 'cause it only had 128 mgs. and if I remember correctly, most, if not all, the components are "cheapo", although the cpu is an AMD Athlon, which I consider to be better than Intel pentium.

I haven't had any problems with overheating, but it does run really hot.

I would not buy another one but all in all it isn't too bad for what I paid for it.

Hope this is helpful. :flowers:

catgate, I own an e-machine. Bought it in Oct. 2002 (I think).

I have mixed feelings about it.

When I first turned it on......

.........would not buy another one but all in all it isn't too bad for what I paid for it.

Hope this is helpful. :flowers:

Thanks for that, J. It helps me see that the picture I was building up is not far from the truth. Information is a bit thin on the ground and what there is is not very reassuring.

Being struck by lightning is not a characteristic exclusive to e-Machines. Any computer connected to the mains and even more so if connected to the telephone system is vulnerable to being destroyed by lightning strikes - and they don't have to be direct hits.

Some surge protectors claim to minimise the danger from lightning (some of them even via the telephone system) but, in the way these devices work, over time they become less effective and should be replaced on a regular basis.

Even so, they should not be relied on to protect during thunderstorms and it is wise to abandon all Internet activity and physically remove all wired connections of the computer (and/or router) from both the mains electricity and the telephone system.

Lightning damage to computers is not a rare occurrence. I have seen several instances of it with machines that I have been asked to repair. Usually it is not worth my while even contemplating this as the insides are often destroyed beyond any hope of getting it going again.

The more I read about these eMachines the more I doubt the lightening strike tale. It seems as though their PSUs are not up to the job and blow through being overloaded. It sounds also as though the rest of the machines are of doubtful parentage.

On the subject of lightening strikes we have had a couple of telephones fried over the years (the type running on a small mains transformer) even when switched off. I have put it down to the fact that the earth that is brought into the house is the centre tapping off the nearest mains three phase transformer (as is the neutral). Hence when the line gets it so does everything else, including the earth cable. As a result I always now unplug anything like 'phones, computers TVs etc. I think the surge protectors are suitable only for spikes arising out of the mains voltage.

I agree with joysness on the mixed feelings part. I only have one computer now and its an emachine. The hardware specs are not the best, sound/graphics is onboard and a 533Mhz bus. The power has been ok so far. I've also heard power strips are only good for spikes, and once its hit good the chemical reaction or fuse inside is done but its hard to tell because power still flows through it. For lightning protection/spikes and drops I think only a UPS can save the day, but I never heard of lightning killing a computer or I just can't remember of any. If I could get another machine I think I would build it, unless emachine had a really good offer.

I never heard of lightning killing a computer or I just can't remember of any.

I have seen three machines that have been destroyed by lightning and some more that have been rendered inoperable by power surges/power cuts.

One of the big problems with power cuts is that they are often followed by a surge as power is restored one of my own machines was destroyed like this some time ago. Power went off, came back on so I rebooted then went off again with an almost immediate restore. It was the surge of this immediate restore that did the damage. The machine was a write off as there was so much visibly burned out (and not counting any hidden damage) it just wasn't worth the effort of trying to get it going again.

I never heard of lightning killing a computer or I just can't remember of any.

I have seen three machines that have been destroyed by lightning and some more that have been rendered inoperable by power surges/power cuts.

One of the big problems with power cuts is that they are often followed by a surge as power is restored one of my own machines was destroyed like this some time ago. Power went off, came back on so I rebooted then went off again with an almost immediate restore. It was the surge of this immediate restore that did the damage. The machine was a write off as there was so much visibly burned out (and not counting any hidden damage) it just wasn't worth the effort of trying to get it going again.

I agree. My son's machine was completely wrecked by lightning a cpouple of years ago.

Thos.

From my reading over the last 48 hours it almost looks as though if all the eMachines in the world were placed end to end and used as a lightening conductor the computer world would be well served.

From my reading over the last 48 hours it almost looks as though if all the eMachines in the world were placed end to end and used as a lightening conductor the computer world would be well served.

:lol: :lol:

Considering the amount of pcs they sell, thats one huge conductor. They sell more than gateway because of their decent prices. But you get exactly what you buy.

My first computer was a Dan, given to me by my son. I then bought a refurbished privately built machine from a local shop, followed by another of the same ilk. This was finally followed by my present machine built by the same local shop. I would NOT consider any brand name computer at all, I have heard too many horror stories. I don't honestly know whether or not lightning could affect my computer. The mains connection is protected by a surge protector, and my connection to the INTERNET is by NTL cable.