Acronis True Image 10.0 Home

Chris

New features introduced in version 10.0

Supports Microsoft Vista — Ensure that you can protect you system if you upgrade to the latest version of Windows

Backup your music, video, and photos — Preserve your digital memories

Outlook backup — Preserve your emails, contacts, calendar, tasks, notes, signatures, news folders, e-mail rules and user settings with just a few mouse clicks

Application protection — Protect your application settings and avoid the time consuming process of redoing your custom settings

Quick backup of specific files — Initiate backup of specific files without being in the Acronis True Image application

Restore application settings — Avoid the hassle of customizing your applications again in case of failure

Explore backups — Easily search and recover particular files in archives just like in Windows Explorer

Create backup rules — Ensure that you never run out of space by setting limits on the amount of space

allocated for backups, the number of backups and the amount of time you keep backups

Email notifications — Peace of mind by obtaining notification that your backups have completed

Save to FTP — Flexibility to store your backups where you want to

More | Here

Before you rush out to buy this, remember that very often there are problems with newly launched/updated software and with something as important as a backup, it could be disastrous if it didn't do as it was supposed to.

I recall that when Acronis 9 was launched there were lots of initial problems. OK, they were quickly sorted out but the fact remains, it was launched with bugs in it.

• 3 months later...

New build #4940

Changes:

1. Backup creation of MS Outlook 2000 and MS Outlook 2003 imap accounts
  2. File level archive creation fixes
  3. Better hardware support
  4. Bootable media fixes
  5. Fixes for working under Windows Vista 64
  6. Fixes of working with FTP.
  7. Windows Vista restoring fixes
  8. Email notification fixes

It means that there is a new version available. Not something you have to pay for, just a new version that is free to registered users. The new version includes fixes for the ones that are listed. You might not be experiencing the problems that are listed, but others are. You don't have to download and install it but if it will fix a problem you are having then grab it!

New build #4940

Hi Chris

It's the Novice speaking. What does this mean to me? :blink: I have Acronis... Do I have to do anything?

If the program is working fine/meeting your needs and the update has nothing positive to offer I would not update it. B)

I use version 8, and it does EVERYTHING that I need. I will be saving my money. :D

I NEVER upgrade/update any programs unless I know for certain that there is some real advantage in doing so. Even Microsoft security updates are not installed in my machines until several days after they have become available because I know that even the Great God Gates is not immune from making a balls-up - it's happened in the past.

There is an enormous amount of mischief inflicted on computers by unnecessary twiddling and fiddling about with upgrades/updates/tarting it up to look prettier and suchlike - I know, I'm often asked to sort these things out.

If your Acronis (or any other program) is doing what you want it to do, leave it alone. If there is an addition that looks desirable, don't install it straight away - think about it for a few days and more often than not, the desire will fade away. If it doesn't, make sure you have full backups of anything that might be affected by your venture into the unknown.

It means that there is a new version available. ..... You don't have to download and install it but if it will fix a problem you are having then grab it!

Thanks for the explanation Chris. :flowers:

My Acronis is working fine at present, so in view of the comments appended subsquently, I guess I'm ok for the time being.

The trouble is that you do not always know that it is working fine, surely.

As far as I know, Acronis 8 backs up when I ask it to but I have never had to restore from it and I can't say I am looking forward to having to do so. Would the "new build" eliminate potential problems I ask myself. Answer came there none!

Incidentally, if I up-graded (in practice, bought a new computer) to Vista Home Premium, would Acronis 8 cope with the new operating system?

Thos.

The trouble is that you do not always know that it is working fine, surely.

I suppose, in theory, you are absolutely correct. But being a trusting type, I believe it when it tells me that the backup was successful. :D Hopefully, I'll never need to put it to the test!

I've used the Acronis backup numerous times on different computers (Windows not being as good or as stable as Bill Gates would have us think)

It's always scary as the screens that come up seem so foreign but, after 20 - 30 minutes the machine shuts down and reboots as good as new - or as good as it was at the last backup.

It's always scary as the screens that come up seem so foreign but, after 20 - 30 minutes the machine shuts down and reboots as good as new - or as good as it was at the last backup.

Thanks for the reminder!

Today's the day, just off to do it now.

It means that there is a new version available. Not something you have to pay for, just a new version that is free to registered users.

Are you sure that it is free to registered users. I was a registered user of Acronis 9 and needed to upgrade to 10 because I am about to get Vista.

I was not allowed to upgrade for free and had to buy the new version - or did I miss something on the Acronis site ...?

By the way - I have had cause to restore an Acronis image several times over the past two years and have only ever had one problem - I used to take incremental back-ups and once had a problem restoring a sequence of 9 incremental back-ups. Fortunately I also had a full back up not too old so did not suffer too much inconvenience. Since then - I decided to take a full back-up evey week - it is nearly as fast as incremental because I also use Diskeeper and the regular defrags cause Acronis to see all moved files as new or amended ones.

Alan, this is an update of version 10 not an upgrade to version 10.

I take your point pops - but Chris did clearly refer to a new version being available which was free. I concluded that he meant you could get Version 10 for nowt if you were already registered for a previous version.

Alan, this is an update of version 10 not an upgrade to version 10.

I take your point pops - but Chris did clearly refer to a new version being available which was free. I concluded that he meant you could get Version 10 for nowt if you were already registered for a previous version.

Well an updated version of 10 B)

Do you have an accont on Acronis?

Do you have an accont on Acronis?

When I log into the Acronis site it shows that I have registered copies of True Image Versions 7, 9 and 10. I bought version 10 using the Forum link - so I don't think I can claim to have an account with Acronis - but I am a registered user.

It's no big deal - the cost was quite reasonable anyway. I merely made my posting in case others were led to believe they could upgrade from one version to another for free - which appears not to be the case.

• 4 weeks later...

New build #4942

Changes:

1. Backup creation of MS Outlook 2000 and MS Outlook 2003 imap accounts
  2. File level archive creation fixes
  3. Better hardware support
  4. Bootable media fixes
  5. Fixes for working under Windows Vista 64
  6. Fixes of working with FTP.
  7. Windows Vista restoring fixes
  8. Email notification fixes

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/