IE7 Released

nellie2

Some of the potential difficulties outlined in your second link, nel, seem to make this a very iffy install.

I'm giving it a miss - at least for a while until others have told us of the problems they actually had. It's rare that I use it anyway so I'm not keen to risk messing things up installing something I don't use.

I don't know whether my son will want it on his office machines - I have tried to persuade him to use Firefox as a norm but I'm not sure that he does.

I had already downloaded and installed IE7 quite successfully. I have used the various beta versions for quite a while and have yet to detect any notable difference between the last beta and this final version.

I like IE7 for its ease of use and tabbed browsing. It is also much easier on the eye with much clearer text than Firefox which I use occasionally when browsing those diminishing number of web sites that do not show properly in IE7.

I am happy with IE7 - based upon my experience - I recommend it.

Well it looks good to me having just done "the tour". So when I have a few hours knowing I am not going to be disturbed I think I will give it a go.

If AlanHo recommends it, that is good enough for me (until I come back screaming for help).

1. Back-up.

2. Set System Restore.

3. Disable anti spyware & malware apps.

4. Cross fingers.

and go ahead.

Thos.

I find it rather disturbing that, in order to install this software there are recommendations to shut down this that and the other - including all malware protection, to make restore points and backups (which I would do anyway as a matter of course) and suchlike.

When I install Firefox, Opera, or Netscape even, I just need to download and install. What is so extra special (or unstable) about IE7 that requires all these precautions?

I find it rather disturbing that, in order to install this software there are recommendations to shut down this that and the other - including all malware protection, to make restore points and backups (which I would do anyway as a matter of course) and suchlike.

When I install Firefox, Opera, or Netscape even, I just need to download and install. What is so extra special (or unstable) about IE7 that requires all these precautions?

Can't be as good or stable as made out. Be careful Thos.

Just for the record I did not obey the instructions to shut down this that and the other - I left my anti virus and firewall running and just closed Internet Explorer before letting the installation procedure do its stuff.

It firsts removed my existing IE7 beta, loaded some files and closed down the computer. On rebooting it installed IE7 then rebooted the computer again.

Then there was IE7 fully working and still loaded with my favourites. All you do then is comply with the opening screen to tick box whether you want the phishing filter, pop ups etc and Bob's yer uncle.

Took about 20 minutes altogether.

A few people have asked why we recommend temporarily disabling anti-virus or anti-spyware applications (which I’ll refer to together as anti-malware) prior to installing IE7, so here’s a little insight to the situation.

Along with copying IE7 files to your system, IE7’s setup writes a large number of registry keys. A common way anti-malware applications protect your computer is by preventing writes to certain registry keys used by IE. Any registry key write that fails during setup will cause setup to fail and rollback changes. We work around the problem in most instances by checking permissions at the beginning of setup, but many anti-malware programs monitor the key rather than change permissions. Therefore, setup thinks it has access when it starts, but then fails when it later attempts to write the key.

The majority of users likely haven’t seen any such problems even with anti-malware enabled because we work with third-party vendors to identify IE7 setup as ‘safe’ based on something like digital signatures or file hashes. While this could lead us to remove the recommendation to disable anti-malware apps, we’ve decided to leave it in setup because a number of factors may still cause some customers to have this problem. Specifically:

With all the anti-malware apps available, we don’t want to assume all of them work just because we haven’t heard of a problem yet.

Even anti-malware apps we’ve tested sometimes require the latest definition updates. If a user doesn’t have the latest definitions, he or she may still hit a problem even though we consider the issue resolved.

Failed installation is an awful user experience so we take every step to reduce the chances of setup failing.

I hope this helps answer some of your questions.

The above are given as the reasons for first stopping the anti malware apps operating. I don't pretend to understand them all but thet seem to make sense.

Thanks, AlanHo, where you lead, I shall follow (eventually)

Thos. :)

I follow the reasoning behind shutting down all the protective software on a computer but what I don't get is why IE7 has to write so many registry keys (fiddle about with the heart of a machine) when similar applications, as I've mentioned above, just install without this and without multiple reboots. It's like going back to the early days of Windows when installing even the simplest software was a major operation.

In view of the fact that I am very happy with Acronis, I made a new backup and created a system restore point, and installed IE 7. So far I see no problems with it, other than the same problem that I encountered with the Beta version. That is that it will not let Crap Cleaner save cookies to regular websites, and I have to sign on again after using CC.

Is there any way of overcoming this?

In view of the fact that I am very happy with Acronis, I made a new backup and created a system restore point, and installed IE 7. So far I see no problems with it, other than the same problem that I encountered with the Beta version. That is that it will not let Crap Cleaner save cookies to regular websites, and I have to sign on again after using CC.

I am not sure quite what you mean - but I have not noticed a problem with CC and IE7. The cookies saved in CC to be kept stop it from cancelling log-on names and passwords etc.

I am not sure quite what you mean - but I have not noticed a problem with CC and IE7. The cookies saved in CC to be kept stop it from cancelling log-on names and passwords etc.

They still work and allow me to log on without signing in until I reboot. Then I have to sign in. This does not happen in IE 6

They still work and allow me to log on without signing in until I reboot. Then I have to sign in. This does not happen in IE 6

Strange innit - my still work fine after a reboot.

Perhaps one of our experts can throw some light on this.

Try using CC then reboot afterwards before visiting here again.

Tried it - and I didn't need to log back in - but I knew that would be the case because I do it every day. It's the same with all the sites I visit daily - with the exception of one of my banks.

Tried it - and I didn't need to log back in - but I knew that would be the case because I do it every day. It's the same with all the sites I visit daily - with the exception of one of my banks.

Can't understand it, I have the latest CC installed.