Needed Software

Coreper

In my view, enough to say that Norton is not only a massive resource hog, but is extremely difficult to get rid of if it corrupts in any way. With the help of a technician allocated to my case it was a hell of a long job, and involved multiple downloads of tools, plus registry editing. As I have already stated, within a couple of years or so, all support is withdrawn and only updates are allowed. Nod 32 has by far the best record of catching viruses in the wild. This is from an independent report on the Virus bulletin. I have not posted a link because you will need to register. Nod 32 is far and away less intrusive on the system than Norton. It also updates several times per day, the moment that new definitions are ready, no waiting for a weekly update. For me, a huge bonus is that e mail or telephone support within the UK is available, and the staff are excellent and extremely helpful, and very easy to contact. Telephone support is at the cost of a normal call, and is not on a premium rate line. This support is FREE for the life of your subscription. I took a three year subscription from the beginning, and this support automatically happens if and when I renew my subscription. Similar support may also be available in Holland, look into it.

If you are not convinced now, by other derogatory reports on Norton, then please go ahead and be warned.

Nod 32 HOLLAND.

hmmmmm,......... i think i will install NOD32 instead of Norton

one other question: what firewall is the best? [i'm getting ZoneAlarm Pro]

and again another thing: is Registry Mechanic a good tool?

current choise:

Anti Virus: NOD32

Anti-Spyware/Adware: Windows Defender - SpyBot - SpySweeper - XoftSpy

Background Anti-Spyware/Adware: Spyware Blaster - Spyware Guard

Firewall: ZoneAlarm Pro

System/Registry Tools/Boosters: Crap Cleaner - Diskeeper - Registry Mechanic - Registry Booster

Download Programs: Limewire - uTorrent

I use Sygate - I don't have a good reason why except that it works for me.

I didn't like ZA as it used to be intrusive and have a pervasive "construction site" appearance which i didn't like. It may be better now.

ZA Security Suite is very nice. I don't think I could ask for much more with it. I never have malware probs or breakins. You can configure almost anything. I haven't used many other products so I can't really compare but it is a good choice if you can afford it. The attachment shows what it looks like. If you don't want to spend any money there are great free options.

• 2 weeks later...
thanks

is there a difference between Spyware Blaster and Spyware Guard?

which one is the best?

Spyware Guard DOES NOT SCAN. It sits on the computer and tries to stop Spyware installing in the first instance. Spyware Blaster scans when requested. I use Spyware Guard, but no longer use Spyware blaster. I much prefer A Squared and SUPERAntispyware.

Spyware Blaster also sits on the computer and tries to stop Spyware installing in the first instance, and if it scans I haven't yet found out how. Spyware Guard I believe only works in Explorer

A senior moment. I was thinking of Spybot S & D. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...