DVD drive wont open!!

Assuming you're talking desktop, replacing or installing an optical drive is very simple.
Yes, it is desktop to which I am referring.
If you let us know which you prefer, we can easily sort you out with either the way to install an internal drive of a good deal with an external one.
I already have an external HP LightScribe, but 'Click to DVD' just can't see it. :blink: At first, I thought that Click to DVD was at fault, but that was when I was incorrectly assuming that the DVD was a writer.

I downloaded WinDVD as you suggested a little while ago, and would certainly be very interested if I had exhausted my exploits with Click & Nero. :)

So, with some guidance I would like to install a internal writer. Your assistance would be very much appreciated. :flowers:

A Lightscribe would be a DVD writer. Assuming it is connected by USB, does it show itself in My Computer as a removable drive? If it does, make a note of the drive letter it has been allocated by Windows (this is for my next suggestion).

Good link from Alan BTW. (snuck in while I was writing)

Assuming it is connected by USB, does it show itself in My Computer as a removable drive? If it does, make a note of the drive letter it has been allocated by Windows (this is for my next suggestion).
No it doesn't show as removable.

Good link from Alan BTW. (snuck in while I was writing)
Yes, thanks Alan. I had a quick look at it, with the intention of printing it off later. :flowers:

Apologies, my poor definitions. I meant drives with Removable Storage.

So, one of those F, H or I is your Lightscribe. If that is so, and H is a RAM drive anyway, you have DVD writers installed so we need to know why they aren't writing DVDs.

I'm not familiar with Click to DVD, I'll look up more about it.

You say you have WinDVD - is that WinDVD Creator?

If so, open the program, click on Create new project -> View -> Disc Manager. You should then get a dropdown box which lists all the available DVD writers on that machine. Ignore the message telling you to insert a disc.

You say you have WinDVD - is that WinDVD Creator?

If so, open the program, click on Create new project -> View -> Disc Manager. You should then get a dropdown box which lists all the available DVD writers on that machine. Ignore the message telling you to insert a disc.

The View menu looks like this..

post-5852-1171986691_thumb.jpg

From Nero, this is the list.....

post-5852-1171987090_thumb.jpg

The easiest way to find which drive letter That your USB Lightscribe drive has is to put a CD/DVD disk in then open My Computer and see which drive letter registers it.

If you use the Disk Management route it will show up as the amount of MB's on the disk (second picture).

Just looking at the pictures you posted it is drive H (HP DVD writer 840d)

The Pioneer is a read only drive, so to burn you need to select the (H) Lightscibe drive for DVD's/CD's or the (G) Sony drive for just CD's.

There should be no need to install an internal drive.

I have some Sony software called 'Click to DVD', which reputed to be good if you can master it. I managed to create the movie, but it couldn't see the HP. I just wish I new why. :(

I have a lightscribe drive and use Nero V6 and have never had a problem. Have you thought of saving your completed movie, then open Nero and then burn it, as the picture you posted gave you the option to select your drive.
Actually, I think I may have used Nero to burn to the HP, now I come to think about it. It's that dratted Sony 'Click to DVD' which is the problem. Maybe I should just give it a miss, but I hate to have the silly thing beat me! :angry:

Would you believe it, I've being trying to produce, what I consider to be, a satisfactory movie record of a wonderful cruise which we did last October for my 60th birthday year. (I celebrated all year!!). I am new to this, so it has been a matter of trial and error. Still, I'll get there in the end. :D

Would you believe it, I've being trying to produce, what I consider to be, a satisfactory movie record of a wonderful cruise which we did last October for my 60th birthday year. (I celebrated all year!!). I am new to this, so it has been a matter of trial and error. Still, I'll get there in the end. :D

I look forward to seeing it when you manage it. Especially that fellow water-skiing at the back of Voyager!

Thos. B)

I look forward to seeing it when you manage it. Especially that fellow water-skiing at the back of Voyager!
It is a sight to see!! :D

The next issue will be to locate a website where I can uplift the movie and share it. I think I'll begin a new post to find one. ;)