Nothing on PC

artist

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't use it so neither do I, so the next suggestion will upset some people but try Firefox so as to eliminate OE being the problem, if that doesn't work then take off IE7 and you should still have IE6.

How would I put Firefox on when I can't use IE?

:rolleyes:

Artist

I am running out of ideas.

The fact that you can connect to the internet with your laptop using the same modem and phone line rather points to the problem being confined to your desktop computer. I wonder if it might be hardware related - perhaps a faulty network card. Or do you connect your modem using USB in which case use of device manager to delete the USB driver and force a re-install might be in order. I am scratching around a bit in the dark here because I have very limited hardware knowledge but one of our experts might comment on this.

I am not necessarily advocating this - but if I still found myself in your situation - presumably without an Acronis back-up - I would back up all my data and settings, reformat my C: drive and start all over again with a clean install of Windows and all programs. If this rectified matters I would immediately take an Acronis back-up for future security. If it did not solve matters - I would probably fall into several bottles of good wine and drown my sorrows.

Thanks Irene - that was a thought about the virus checker - I use AVG and there was an update the day beofore it all went pear shaped - having said that - it doesn't explain why the laptop is working ok.........
artist

Now we're clutching at straws and maybe stating the obvious!

If you know when it went 'pear-shaped', could you do a System Restore to the last good point before?

P.S. If you want to uninstall IE7, this is how to do it:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...y/ie/iefaq.mspx

Thanks Irene - that was a thought about the virus checker - I use AVG and there was an update the day beofore it all went pear shaped - having said that - it doesn't explain why the laptop is working ok.........
artist

Now we're clutching at straws and maybe stating the obvious!

If you know when it went 'pear-shaped', could you do a System Restore to the last good point before?

P.S. If you want to uninstall IE7, this is how to do it:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...y/ie/iefaq.mspx

I did a system restore. I have checked out all the links Irene. Thanks for that.

On PCA They reckon it could be to do with the latest M/S updates.

Alas - I have a new developement - I had a new casing a few months ago because the power unit had gone. There was always niggles with it - like the front two USBs seem dead - anyway, there seems to be a switch gone and I can't even start the PC. Maybe that could be the problem. I'll be back to the shop tomorrow!!!

I only whinged about people not replying because it seems like no-one cares - not for me especially but for other people coming here for the first few times. The response at PCA and Tiscali forum was immediate.........

By replying to siuations you know nothing about, is not going to endear you to new members on this excellent forum.
TRUE. Best to keep mum.
Not necessarily, because when you have a problem, you feel very vulnerable and alone.

Even if someone just shows a little understanding, until someone comes on-line with some relevant knowledge, it's sort of reassuring. So, sorry I don't agree. :)

Obviously, if the post is exceptionally technical, then I probably wouldn't involve myself. But if I could see that there was no response by our more technical members, I would try to reassure by saying someone would be on-line soon. :unknw:

By replying to siuations you know nothing about, is not going to endear you to new members on this excellent forum.

I don't entirely agree - to be just left hanging with no response make the 'not very techy knowledgable' like me, feel that no-one is interested. I appreciate that no-one may have a solution - but a few pointers in the general direction would help - as per Irene's replies.

I have noticed that there are quite a few unsolved, hanging threads - what do you think those people do? Go to other forums for advice, that's what!

I'm still confused about the cabling and the swapping of USB connections.

Please bear in mind that these aren't intended for frequent changing around and a glance at them will show that they are not robust in their construction - this applies both to the plug and the socket parts of a USB connector. Could it be that there is some faulty connection/breakage, perhaps hidden, that is causing this?

This may well be clutching at straws but I am totally at a loss to understand what is going on. It certainly isn't that I'm ignoring the problem.

Regarding some other "hanging threads", some of these are hanging because the originator has not come back with a response and thus nobody knows where to go with it.

I'm still confused about the cabling and the swapping of USB connections.

Please bear in mind that these aren't intended for frequent changing around and a glance at them will show that they are not robust in their construction - this applies both to the plug and the socket parts of a USB connector. Could it be that there is some faulty connection/breakage, perhaps hidden, that is causing this?

This may well be clutching at straws but I am totally at a loss to understand what is going on. It certainly isn't that I'm ignoring the problem.

Regarding some other "hanging threads", some of these are hanging because the originator has not come back with a response and thus nobody knows where to go with it.

There is a small extension lead from the computer to which the modem is connected - so that the connection is accessable on top of the desk. I connect the laptop to that for updates - have been for the last two years. I replaced that - thinking it was a problem. Not really interested in getting a router as the laptop is not used for the internet.

Possibly the threads are left hanging because like me, they find there is more response from other forums.

There has been a new development - I had a new casing about 6 months ago because the power unit had gone - the shop said - it's had niggles from the off, like the two front usb ports not working - yesterday something in the computer kept blowing the fuse. Takng it to the shop today.

Now I feel guilty because I maybe should have offered a word of sympathy even though I haven't a clue what was and is going wrong. There used to be guidelines instructing members not to offer solutions if they were not absolutely "au fait" with the subject. I adhered to those guidelines.

Thos.

P.S. You certainly do have my sympathy, artist. I wish I could help.

Now I feel guilty because I maybe should have offered a word of sympathy even though I haven't a clue what was and is going wrong. There used to be guidelines instructing members not to offer solutions if they were not absolutely "au fait" with the subject. I adhered to those guidelines.

Thos.

P.S. You certainly do have my sympathy, artist. I wish I could help.

DITTO.

I got the computer back from the shop today.

It was the power pack all along. When the chap went to plug into the computer he got blue sparks and it caught on fire. It was only 9 months old. His wife rang me yesterday to say the computer was 'full of spyware' and needed a good clean out. I was spitting nails as I know the computer is clean. It's a ruse for the unwary - a bit of easy profit. Anyway, she backtracked and said 'well, there were a few bits' - not surprising to me as I would think there will always be a few bits until the next scan.

£80 - thank you! We tried for a discount got a credit note for the £50 which they charge for just accepting the computer in the shop - to be used if we go back there again. Dubious, I think.

Thanks for the help - we were always going to lose though.....

It was the power pack all along. When the chap went to plug into the computer he got blue sparks and it caught on fire. It was only 9 months old.
Would you have any recourse with the seller of the 9 month old power pack? Do they not have any warranty or something similar?

Still, great to have you back again. This lot really need you here to keep them under control. :rolleyes:

Do they not have any warranty or something similar?

3 months!!

Still, great to have you back again. This lot really need you here to keep them under control. :rolleyes:

:D Given a frustrating, seemingly unsolvable problem like that - I just felt like chucking the whole computer. :rolleyes:

I had a persistant neckache from looking down at the laptop. :D

If I were you I would report them to Trading Standards. All products should carry a minimum warranty of 12 months. I am no expert at consumer law but I am confident the shop are selling you short.

I am a bit mystified at how a faulty PSU would cause you not to be able to access the internet though. I would have thought it would affect more than that on the computer.

If I were you I would report them to Trading Standards. All products should carry a minimum warranty of 12 months. I am no expert at consumer law but I am confident the shop are selling you short.

I am a bit mystified at how a faulty PSU would cause you not to be able to access the internet though. I would have thought it would affect more than that on the computer.

Strangely - after much trying out of different options, including some ping tests - a chap on the Tiscali forum said it all pointed to a faulty hub - Sounded weird but he wasn't far off the mark.

All along, the internet was connecting ok and at the right speed - plus the laptop was fine. Also everything else was working apart from the spam checker and the AVG email checker.

A faulty PSU would shut you down completely as it did to me a couple of years ago. Makes me wonder: are local shops all that much help?

Thos.

Hmm. When it went before I could still turn on the pc although it wouldn't boot up.

I can only say that all is well now and that was all the shop replaced.

As for the shops being helpful - what can one do?.............The 'little man around the corner' charges £35 for a home visit beore anything else. With him, you can never be sure just how much he knows.

A faulty PSU would shut you down completely as it did to me a couple of years ago. Makes me wonder: are local shops all that much help?

Thos.

Local shop every time. You just have to find a good one by shopping round as suggested by pops and me, and asking other customers.

Thos.

Local shop every time. You just have to find a good one by shopping round as suggested by pops and me, and asking other customers.

I don't think I'll be going back there. It's the 'full of spyware' thing............ :rolleyes: