Simple guide to remove all irritating Shortcut Icon Arrow on your desk

page

Hi all,

This is a trick to remove all your irritating Arrow of all your icons on the Desktop.

Shortcutwarrow.jpg

Steps:

1)Download & use Microsoft PowerToy TweakUI.exe tool.

2)Open TweakUI program from your start menu

3)Select and navigate 'Explorer' on the left and chose 'Shortcut'

4)on your right, chose 'None'

5)click on 'Apply' and 'Ok'.

6)you're done.

Here's how it look like when you are done.

Shortcutw_oarrow.jpg

TweakUI also include other useful functions that you may explore & modify them. Enjoy!

Tks

Interesting, nel. I hate that curved arrow and get rid of it on all machines that I am able to. I never knew it had a function until your post but, it still goes, nevertheless.

Thank you Page... personally I prefer to keep the shortcut arrow so that I know which of my icons are shortcuts and which aren't... but that is just me. :huh:

Welcome.

I understand individual user always has his/her own style on how their desktop looks.

Frankly, I find that is irritating to have all arrow pin beside icon.

Beside this, there are many enhancement tools to improve Windows appearance though, but I would still prefer TweakUI cos I consider as a light-weighted tools.

Other enhancement tools will bring your computer into harmful registry and non-user friendly configuration could possibly crash your systems.

For those members out there also have the same concerns as mine, perhap can probably give a try. B)

Thanks

I am like Nellie. I prefer the arrow, so I can keep track of my shortcuts.

As a side note, this will remove the shortcut arrow for ALL shortcuts, not just the desktop ones.

There is another way, without using a 3rd party application (like TweakUI) by modifying the registry.

Click Start, Run and type Regedit.exe

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ Shell Icons

Backup the key by exporting it to a file

In the right-pane, create a new String value named 29

Double-click 29 and set its Value data as:

C:\Windows\System32\shell32.dll,50

(shell32.dll,50 is a empty icon)

Close Registry Editor.

To apply the changes instantly, follow this

Right-click Desktop, choose Properties

Click the Appearance Tab.

Click Advanced button

Choose Icon from the drop-down list

Set it's size to 31 and press OK, OK.

The changes will be applied now. Repeat the above steps and then set the Icon size back to 32 (defaults). The above steps are required to force Windows to redraw the icons. Even Tweak UI does this.

:drinks:

Page, it seems from your screen capture you have a Symantec infection. Possibly by an OEM installation?

:lol: I'm just messing with you. Symantec isn't that bad despite what people say about Norton. Good guide by the way! I usually keep the shortcut arrow there so I know what is a shortcut and what is the main program, that way I don't delete or move the main executable. But I can see why people would like it to go away.