Who Hasn't Got Broadband Yet ?

Boris

Just wondered how many of the other regulars here like me still have to use dial-up (@44,000 bps) for their daily dose of WF ?

Sometimes it seems that I'm the only one in here who takes 6 minutes to D/L the AVG updates.

If you do post - please say where you are and if you're ever likely to get B/B.

Hi Boris. I'm in a small Market Town in the Scottish Borders and the chances of us getting Broadband up here in the next 10 years is a bit slim. Our local exchange only went digital about four years ago. I'm obviously still on Dial-up @ 33.6 and it takes me between six and seven minutes to download the AVG updates as well. :(

I thought you Highlanders had it made. The Scottish electricity people were among the first to roll out broadband via your mains electricity.

I can't find the original article about a synchronous 2mb connection, but I did come accross this click here

It may be worth your while checking with your supplier, to see if you can get it.

Regards. Mr. M.

Our local supplier is Aquila (Midlands Electricity) and I read somewhere that Southern (+Scottish Hydro) were going to take them over. The sooner the better I say !

Hi Boris ;),

I still have a 56k dial-up connection (E-Telecom £10.99 per month/ 2hr disconnect/ 41 - 46.6kbps always/ ?unspecified daily usage limit - No letter yet?). It's OK for a 30MB download in the 2hours...Live in Yorkshire and BB has been active on our servers for quite a while now.

I would love BB, but I ain't gonna shell that sort of money out just to do what I am doing now, but faster. If I want 'BIG' files I just ask my relation to get them for me, then I go down and write them to a disc :D.

I will probobally go for BB when their prices fall dramatically (sub £15 for me) - I like a bargain and don't like wasting money (the Yorkshireman in me :D). Plus I believe it won't be long before we see the same 'capping' applied to BB as we have seen with dial-up recently (ie. usage limits/ 2hr cut-off etc).

;)

i think that the capping will more than likely be akin to that of NTL (1gig per day) rather than time limits.

i must say that BB makes an incredible difference and have nothing but praise.

I have had no downtime since i went BB which never ever happened with dial-up.....

I would love BB, but I ain't gonna shell that sort of money out just to do what I am doing now, but faster.

My feelings exactly!

Mind you, with money to spare I'd get it - and the best comp I could find.( sigh!)

Guest ellas

the thing is Scarthy © ® ™ if you had b/b you wont be doing what your doing now but only faster,you will be downloading games,watching streaming videos etc,one thing I've noticed since my sis got b/band is all her windows updates, a/v, ad-aware etc are up to date while before if faced with a 15 minute wait for a a/v signature it would be no way am I waiting that long,lets face it b/b is worth it just to keep up with these s/ware upgrades. :D

ellas had hit it on the head once again...

i have all of the windows update, AVG anti-virus updates automatically, and its soooooo quick....certainly not a waste of £30

at the end of the day it all comes down to priorities i suppose.....

Hi,

Had a look at Whitwell.com. Don't hold your breath for BB peter e.

Your neighbours can't have time for the internet. Never seen so many pubs in a "small" village for years :o mores the pity mind. Must be a very sociable and friendly place to live. If I were you I would spend some time in each one just before closing and try to drum up some interest :) :o

Well - its nice to know that I'm not alone ! :D

They've just started another sign-up campaign in the town. Our target is 300 so you'd think that a town of 10,000 people would get there easily. No chance - we've only reached 160 - apparently there's only about 2-300 domestic PCs in the whole town according to some survey !

Hi

I have had broard band for 2 1/2 years now, it is a 768kbs connecction, but it runs faster than that most of the time :)

It cost me €17.99 per month for the flat rate plus €7.99 for the DSL line, so it is approx £ 20 a month i pay.

After having BB for so long i don't think i could ever go back to dial up.

I have 3 computers here, all on the network sharing the bb connection.

All the best

Tony