IE 6 or 7 ?

Coreper

IE 6 or 7 ?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which one should i chose?

• IE 6
    • IE 7

which Internet Explorer [iE] version do you recommend, considering points like performance, ease of use, GUI, speed, etc, etc.

vote and let me know!

please also say why you chose that option..

note: please do NOT:

- say you wont take either of them

- start talking about another browser

- recommend another browser

thanks

None of them 4 me ! ! !

IE is a load of *hite. It is inferior to other browsers and not very good at padding (search on Google for answers on this) ! There are hardly any plugins (and even fewer free ones !). Infact I only ever use it for Windoze Updates as FF is not recognised by M$.

Firefox + Adblock Plus + Filter-G set + Noscript + Customize Google and a few other carefully selected addons is MUCH MUCH SAFER THAN IE ! ! ! And it's all for FREE !

If you do use IE then make sure you read about how to set it up properly ! There are quite alot of default settings in it, set far too low for my liking ! When I started computing I only ever used IE as I thought M$ is a reputable company and I trusted it cos it came with Windows. Years later and masses of Spyware later, I aint going back ! ;)

note: please do NOT:

...Oops I just did :) It's probobally all the 'bad experiences I have has with their "flagship" browser'.

thanks for the replies so far..

@ Scarthy:

Firefox + addons is MUCH MUCH SAFER THAN IE ! ! !

well, actually your 100% wrong there

the more addons you use, the unsafer firefox gets

that is, because those addons arent part of the security part of firefox: they are security holes

that also counts for any other browser you use [like Opera, IE7, Flock, etc., etc.]

and another thing you might find interesting:

because so many people are using FireFox now, a lot new dangers are presented and created for FireFox

so i dont think its so secure as it used to be when a smaller amount of people used it...

@ Coreper - The simple truth is "if they want to get in they will, what ever you have protecting you". There are 'holes' in everything online and every piece of software out there. Infact the more advanced it all gets, the more vulnerable we all are really. A skilled/knowledgeable person could compromise any system if they really wanted to. Don't the BIG companies 'employ' hackers to tighten their security? Who had heard of Spyware 5 years ago? Wasn't an AV/FW all you needed back then? Now Spyware/Malware/DOS attacks/dll files etc etc are headlining in security software and sites. It's an uphill struggle just coping with what's out there and more is just waiting to show itself over time. How many Windows Updates has there been since SP2? Each one tightening a hole that an attacker could compromise ! They only protect you from what's out there and what they already know about and people are always finding 'new ways around things'.

I feel more safer with FF + addons than I ever did with IE. Search the web and you will find the answers (from experienced and new users worldwide). I used to believe, like alot of newcomers to Windows, that IE is the dogs for browsing ! It comes from M$, a name we believe in as we buy their OS installed machines ! It is after years of use and reading countless articles on many websites, and having troubles and problems myself, that I come to the conclusions I do. Even the security sites 'diss' IE as a security vulnerability and recommend FF and Opera as a replacement ! And how long did it take M$ to add tabbed browsing? Too long ! This was only added as their popularity fell and the other browsers took the lead ! When then will they listen to the security issue problems? They have been on going for years !

Is there a way to stop these idiotic "polls" in the Windows Support forum? "Polls" with 4 or 5 replies are completely meaningless. There is a "Debates and Poll Station" forum where these stupidities can be hidden.

Someone please move it there! :angry:

Here here. In far too many of these cases, it is simply a matter of personal choice, and it doesn't matter a damn what someone else thinks of your choice, as long as you are happy.

Is there a way to stop these idiotic "polls" in the Windows Support forum? "Polls" with 4 or 5 replies are completely meaningless. There is a "Debates and Poll Station" forum where these stupidities can be hidden.

Someone please move it there! :angry:

Moved.

Polls of any description, wherever they're held, are often misleading.

AGREED. Some things are hardly worth holding a poll for. We had a similar one to this recently, asking what the best browser was. There is no definitive answer to this, it is purely personal preference. Many on here like FF, but I tried it and preffered IE. Some like Opera, but none of these likes and dislikes make any one THE BEST, it is all just personal opinion.

I tried IE7 the other week for a few days and gosh was it hard to use, one of the most annoying things was opening tabs it was so slow also the surfing was slow.

Not my experience at all, it's like well greased lightning. Just tried to time how long it took for a new tab to open. It was less than one second. That can't be considered slow. :D

I tried IE7 the other week for a few days and gosh was it hard to use, one of the most annoying things was opening tabs it was so slow also the surfing was slow.
Not my experience at all, it's like well greased lightning. Just tried to time how long it took for a new tab to open. It was less than one second. That can't be considered slow. :D

I quite agree. It's just grrrrreat!!!! :D

Must have a problem with your PC Mike.

• 2 weeks later...

IE6 or IE7? I had terrible problems with the earlier "essential" version of IE7 and had to revert to IE6. Now there's a new version of IE7 and I've just installed it. So far nor problems, and there does seem to be an amazing increase in speed. But it's early days yet and I'll keep monitoring the situation.

By the way add-ons do reduce your security and will have an effect on speed, so my advice is keep them minimal.

:flowers: