Northern Rock to be Nationalised

AlanHo

The BBC article suggests that the governement will adopt some of the ideas proposed by Virgin in their offer - this will include significant job losses.

However - and to look on the bright side - the take over of the bank will give the government a unique opportunity to demonstrate their financial skills and a perfect excuse to recruit an army of civil servants to administer the new acquisition. The only direct losers will be existing shareholders in the bank - and they are most likely to be fairly wealthy and vote Tory anyway - so who cares.....I will tell you - its us taxpayers who have to finance yet another farce....... :rolleyes:

This is a very poor precedent - the government will bail you out if you are located in a labour heartland. The taxpayer is funding the buying of votes for this inept lot.

The cynic in me also thinks that the main reason why the government bailed out Northern Rock is because it is in a Labour heartland.

They shouldn't be allowed to use taxpayers money for this purpose :angry:

There is a man in France today who made a right a*se of fiscal manipulation, ostensibly on behalf of his employers, and who will, no doubt, end up where he should be...the bastille. Nick Leeson did the same and ended up doing time.

Is there any excuse for Roy Rogers (and his predecessor) to escape this justice?

He and his predecessor have caused more harm than a dozen of the Leeson types. £100,000 worth per houshold, and much of it spent on self glorification and the destruction of humanity.

You're all still forgetting that allot of other banks have been using this prop for years and it hadn't been a problem until the media got hold of it and talked people into panicking, that is the same so called news media that you keep quoting. Good business to be in cause a problem and then make money out of the problem you cause, and the gullible will pay you.

You're all still forgetting that allot of other banks have been using this prop for years and it hadn't been a problem until the media got hold of it and talked people into panicking

Yes but no bank had borrowed so much off the Bank of England - I mean £25 billion :0

Also it had a flawed lending strategy which was down to the management as they were in charge at the time.

The BBC article suggests that the governement will adopt some of the ideas proposed by Virgin in their offer - this will include significant job losses.

However - and to look on the bright side - the take over of the bank will give the government a unique opportunity to demonstrate their financial skills and a perfect excuse to recruit an army of civil servants to administer the new acquisition. The only direct losers will be existing shareholders in the bank - and they are most likely to be fairly wealthy and vote Tory anyway - so who cares.....I will tell you - its us taxpayers who have to finance yet another farce....... :rolleyes:

What make you think that shareholders are necessarily rich Tory voters? A lot of shares are held these days in Unit Trusts in either PEPS or ISAS by ordinary hard working people of any political persuasion.

p.s. my mortgage is with Northern Rock but it's supposed to be business as usual :rolleyes:

keep a close eye on your interest rates if your variable ........ I have heard that they may become deliberatly less compeditive to reduce their portfolio ....... ready for a govermental strip and fire sale if el gordo goes full term ,... pre elections

This is just the start ...........of a rocky road to ruin

el gordo didnt want to give the police an extra backdated £200 each due to potentially "inflationary pressures " ............... yet just look at what the haggis muncher and his darling do primarily due to party political considerations .

the year of the rat is going to be velly interesting ....methinks

anyone see dispatches yesterday?

ooeeerrrrr misses !

keep a close eye on your interest rates if your variable ........ I have heard that they may become deliberatly less competitive to reduce their portfolio .......

Yes I see what you mean as when the Bank of England first dropped interest rates 0.25% a few months ago, Northern Rock only dropped my interest rate 0.15% and I have yet to hear from them about the latest 0.25% drop :(

My 3 year fixed rate came to an end last October and I'm currently on their standard variable rate but I don't want to remortgage yet as I'm due to be made redundant in a few weeks time.

With the current 'credit crunch' conditions, I would probably struggle to find a competitive fixed rate deal without paying a lot of fees and I don't think that it would be worthwhile paying them as my mortgage is relatively small only around £33,500 at present.