Mozilla: Firefox Plug-In Shipped With Malicious Code

Not sure if we have any Vietnamese Firefox users, but if we do this may be of intrest to you.

Mozilla warned Wednesday that a malicious program inserted adware code into a Firefox plug-in that has been downloaded thousands of times over the past three months.

Because of a virus infection, the Vietnamese language pack for Firefox 2 was polluted with adware, Mozilla security chief Window Snyder said in a blog posting. "Everyone who downloaded the most recent Vietnamese language pack since February 18, 2008 got an infected copy," she wrote. "Mozilla does virus scans at upload time but the virus scanner did not catch this issue until several months after the upload."

Mozilla is now going to add additional scans of its software to prevent this kind of thing from happening in the future, she said.

Full Story

Xorer Trojan Information

Mozilla warned Wednesday that a malicious program inserted adware code into a Firefox plug-in that has been downloaded thousands of times over the past three months.

Because of a virus infection, the Vietnamese language pack for Firefox 2 was polluted with adware, Mozilla security chief Window Snyder said in a blog posting. "Everyone who downloaded the most recent Vietnamese language pack since February 18, 2008 got an infected copy," she wrote. "Mozilla does virus scans at upload time but the virus scanner did not catch this issue until several months after the upload."

Mozilla is now going to add additional scans of its software to prevent this kind of thing from happening in the future, she said.

I don't know whether I was at risk anyway as I never go for language packs unless they are automatically included with Firefox updates :huh:

FF is Obviously not as fireproof as some would have us believe. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Firefox is still as fireproof as we believe. The problem was NOT with firefox, but rather a malicious script included with a language pack. Language packs are created by users like you and me and uploaded to Mozilla for distribution. The problem lies in the fact that Mozilla did not catch this before they released the language pack officially.

This is no different than any other virus. It just happened to be transmitted via an addon for Firefox rather than through a spam email, or rouge website.

Firefox is still as fireproof as we believe.

I don't think that can be sustained since Firefox presumably permitted or enabled the language pack to be distributed. I might have a completely fool-proof burglar alarm. But if I leave the windows open, what good is it?

The point that I am making is that some seem to believe that FF cannot be compromised with viruses and Malware. If the program becomes popular enough there are plenty of idiots who will design viruses etc for it, and people won't be so smug then. :D

I think it is most unfair that only we who constantly work in Vietnamese (for security reasons) should be targeted this way.

The one good thing about IE is that it treats everyone equally. If this had happened in IE the whole world would have been infected.

Firefox is still as fireproof as we believe.

I don't think that can be sustained since Firefox presumably permitted or enabled the language pack to be distributed. I might have a completely fool-proof burglar alarm. But if I leave the windows open, what good is it?

Very true. They should not have allowed this code to be distributed and I agree this was an issue that Mozilla could have prevented. The browser, Firefox, is still as any software is prone to malicious code. Fortunately the browser itself is still stable.

It was unfortunate that someone would want to do this, but it happens. :censored:

FF is Obviously not as fireproof as some would have us believe. :lol: :lol: :lol:

then again , the same can be said for internet explorer...

That is why we use AV programs etc.